Mary Katherine A. Hayes, M.D.
PEER REVIEWED JOURNALS
- Neugut, A.I., Murray, T., Santos, J., Amols, H., Hayes, M.K, Flannery, J.T. and Robinson, E. Increased Risk of Lung Cancer after Breast Cancer Radiation therapy in Cigarette Smokers. Cancer 73(6):1615-1620, 1994.
- Amols, H.I., Zaider, M., Hayes, M.K., Schiff, P.B. Physician/Patient-Driven Risk Assignment in Radiation Oncology: Reality or Fancy? International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology/Physics. Vol. 38 No. 3. pp 455-461, 1997.
- Beitler, J.J., Anderson, P.S., Wadler, S. Runowicz, C.D., Hayes, M.K., Fields, A.L., Sood, B., Goldberg,G.L. Pelvic Exenteration for Cervix Cancer: Would Additional Intraoperative Interstitial Brachytherapy Improve Survival? International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology and Physics. Vol. 38 #1 pp 143-148, 1997
- Beitler, J.J., Smith, R.V., Silver C.E., Quish, A., Deore, S.M., Mullokandov, E., Fontenla, D.P., Walder, S, Hayes, M.K., and Vikran, B. Close or Positive Margins After Surgical Resection for the Head and Neck Cancer Patients: The Addition of Brachytherapy Improves Local Control. Int. J. Radiation Biology Physics. Vol. 40 #2 pp 313-317, 1998.
- Shin, S.J., Osborne, M.P., Moore, A., Hayes, M.K., Hoda, S.A.Determination of Size of Invasive Breast Carcinoma Pathologic Considerations and Clinical Implications. Am J Clin Pathol 2000;113(Suppl 1)S19-S29.
- 2000-Present Contributing Editor, Practical Reviews in Cancer Management.
- "245-T" a Position Paper. Presented at EPA hearings, American Council in Science and Heath, 1980.
- Schiff, P.B., Hayes, M.K. Kashimawo, S.A. and Geard, C.R. Clinical Applications of Taxol as a Radiosensitizing Agent. National Symposium on Concurrent Modalities of Cancer Treatment. Dearborn, MI, 1993
- Hayes, M.K., Changing Role of Radiotherapy; DCIS, Early Invasive Cancer, Post Mastectomy. Controversies in the Management of Breast Cancer Patients, Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons, New York, N.Y., pp 93-101, May 19-20, 1999
- Hayes, M.K. "Interstitial Brachytherapy" Multidisciplinary Atlas of Breast Surgery, Kinne, D. editor J.B. Lippincott Company, New York, NY, pp 59-64, 1997.
- Hayes, M.K., Radiation Therapy in "Breast Cancer"Understanding Breast Disease. Cushman Haagensen, Haagensen Foundation. Submitted.
- Hayes, M.K., Hesdorfer, C., Vahdat, L.: Radiation therapy following High Dose Chemotherapy with Autologous Hematopoietic Stem Support for High Risk and Metastatic Breast Cancer. Early Results and Toxicities on the CAMP of Protocol. Oral Presentation, American Radium Society, New York, N.Y., May 3, 1997.
- Hayes, M.K., Amols, H.I., Godette, K.D. and Chen, G. Comparison of Beam's Eye View CT and Solder Wires in Determining the Prescription Point in Tangential Breast Irradiation. Radiology 181 (P):182, 1991.
- Garrett, T.J., Estabrook, A., Hayes, M.K., Bloch, S., Ince, C., Geller, P., Mears, J.G., Oster, M. and Schnable,F. Patient Education Videotape for Breast Cancer Clinical Trial of Adjuvant therapy. 15th Annual San Antonio Breast Cancer symposium, December 1992.
- Hayes, M.K., Zisblatt, U., Garrett, T., Mears, G., Oster, M Eastbrook, A. and Schnabel, F. Impact of Initial Local Treatment on Ultimate Outcome in Breast Cancer Patients under 40. Breast Cancer Research and treatment 27:1/2,P. 117, 1993 (Poster Presentation)
- Schiff, P.B., Hayes, M.K. Kashimawo, S.A. and Geard, C.R. Clinical Applications of Taxol as Radiosensitizing Agent. National Symposium on concurrent Modalities of Cancer Treatment. Dearborn, MI, 1993.
- Schiff, P.B. and Hayes, M.K. Potential Clinical Application of Taxol as a Radiosensitizer. 5th Annual Clinical Oncology Symposium: Current Concepts in Radiation Oncology. Valhalla, NY, 1994.
- Hayes, M.K., Schiff, P.B. A Role for Prophylactic Post Operative Chest Wall Radiation (CWXRT) in Mastectomy Patients. American Radium Society Annual Meeting. Bermuda, April 1994.
- Hayes, M.K. Changing Role of Radiotherapy; DCIS, Early Invasive Cancer, Post Mastectomy. Controversies in the Management of Breast Cancer Patients, New York, N.Y., May 1994 (Syllabus).
- Tsang, C.K., Hayes, M.K., Hsu, I.C. and O'Neil, J. Male Breast Carcinoma the Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center Experience. Int. J. Radiat. Oncol. Biol. Phys.30 Suppl 1): 251, ASTRO, San Francisco, CA. October 1994 (Poster Presentation).
- Hayes, M.K., Hsu, I.C., Hibshoosh, H. and O'Neil, J. Can tumor S Phase be Used to Predict Local Control in Conservatively Treated Breast Cancer Patients? Int. J. Radiat. Oncol. Biol. Phys. 30(Suppl 1):249, ASTRO. San Francisco, CA., October 1994 (Poster Presentation).
- Raftopoulos, H., Vahdat, L., Garrett, T.J., Velez-Barone,G.,Hayes, M.K., Begg, M., Antman, K.H. and Hesdorffer, C. High Dose Chemotherapy with Autologous Stem Cell Rescue in Patients with High Risk and Metastatic Breast Cancer: The Columbia University Experience. American Society for Blood and Bone Marrow Transplantation Meeting. January 1995.
- Pandita, T.K., Russo, D.C., Hayes, M.K., Geard, C.R., Vahdat, L.T., Murty, V.V.S., Antman, K.H. Genomic Sensitivity and ATM Gene Carriers Among High Risk Breast Cancer Patients. American Association for Cancer Research. April 26, 1995.
- Hayes, M.K., Ravi, A., Antonacci, R., Shiff, P.B. Is There a Role for Adjuvant Treatment in Patients With T3 N0 M0 Breast Cancer Treated by Modified Radical Mastectomy? RSNA Annual Conference, December 1, 1997 (Oral & Poster Presentation).
- Hayes, M.K. "Does Pretreatment with an Anthracycline/Taxane Based Chemotherapy Increase the Acute Toxicity of Primary Radiation Therapy for Breast Cancer? American Radium Society Annual Meeting April, 1999 (Poster Presentation and Abstract).
- Ravi, A., Nisce, L., Hayes, M.K., Nori, D. Splenic Irradiation in Hematologic Disorders. Presented at RSNA, Nov 1999. Radiology Vol. 214, Number 3, 1999.
- Kulidzhanov, F., Sabbas, A.M., Wang, J.Z., Hayes M.K., Nori, D. Design of a Patient Immobilization and Support System Kulidzhanov, F., Sabbas, A.M., Wang, J.Z., Hayes M.K., Nori That Also Allows For Accurate Placement of Lung Blocks During TBI Treatments. Presented at RSNA, 2001.
- Kulidzhanov, F., Sabbas, A.M., Presser, J., Wang, J.Z., Hayes M.K., Nori, D. Design of a Patient Positioning and Immobilization Stand For TBI and Tset Treatments. Presented at AAPM, July 2002.
- "How's Your Health" A discussion of breast cancer. Young women's League, Connecticut, 1993.
- Radiation and Breast Cancer Risk. Women at Risk Lecture Series, Columbia Presbyterian Eastside, New York, N.Y., January 1994.
- Changing Role of Radiotherapy; DCIS, Early Invasive Cancer, Post Mastectomy. Controversies in the Management of Breast Cancer Patients, New York, N.Y., May 19-20, 1994.
- National Cancer Survivors Day, Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, New York, N.Y., June 4, 1994.
- American Cancer Society, Examining Physician-Breast Cancer Screening, Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, New York, N.Y., July 1994.
- Radiation therapy in Conservative Management of Breast Cancer. Grand Rounds, Long Island college Hospital, Brooklyn, N.Y., October 13, 1994.
- Breast Cancer: The Changing Role of Radiation therapy. New York Roentgen Society Spring conference, New York, N.Y., April 26, 1995.
- National Cancer Survivors Day, Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, New York, N.Y., June 5, 1995.
- "Radiation Oncology for the Dermatologist" Resident Didactic Lectures. Department of Dermatology, Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, New York, New York, June 9,1995.
- Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma Radiation Oncology Session. (Moderator) New York Roentgen Society Spring Conference, New York, N.Y., May 1, 1996.
- Breast Tumor Board-Interdisciplinary Panel, Mammography, DCIS, Diagnostic Radiology Session, New York Roentgen Society: Spring conference. (Invited Panelist)New York, New York, May 4, 1996.
- Sarcomas and Breast Malignancies. International Seminar on Brachytherapy in the Next Millennium. (Moderator) New York, N.Y., April 17, 1997.
- Lymphoma Leukemia Melanoma, American Radium Society. (Moderator) New York, N.Y., May 2, 1997.
- Radiation Yes or No?. Special Topics in "Breast Cancer". Hematology Oncology Grand Rounds, New York Hospital Cornell Medical Center, New York, New York, May 27, 1997.
- Cancer of the Breast session, New York Roentgen Society: Spring conference. (Moderator) New York, N.Y. April 22, 1998.
- "Advances in the Diagnosis and Management of Early Prostate Cancer" 3rd Annual Conference on Interventional Endovascular Brachytherapy & Advances in the Management of Early Prostate Cancer. (Moderator) Flushing, New York, May 8, 1998.
- "Myths and Facts of Radiation Therapy" Breast Cancer Awareness ELectures, Sponsored by New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center. (Invited speaker) October 7, 1998.
- "Myths and Facts of Radiation Therapy." Breast Cancer Awareness. Sponsored by Ortho Biotech. (Invited speaker) October 12, 1998.
- "Current Concepts of Breast Cancer Radiation Oncology" Mount Carmel Health Systems Breast Cancer Symposium, Breast Cancer Comprehensive Management, April 19, 1999.
- "Vascular Radiation Therapy" 4th Annual Conference, New York Presbyterian Hospital, (Moderator) New York, New York, June 4,1999.
- Cancer of the Breast session, New York Roentgen Society Annual Spring Conference. (Moderator) New York, New York, April 25, 2002.
- "Breast Radiation Update" Fourth Annual Symposium on the Latest News About Breast Cancer, Sponsored by the Weill Cornell Breast Center of the Iris Cantor Women's Health Center. New York, New York, May 16, 2002.
- "Post-mastectomy Radiation Therapy" Radiation Oncology Grand Rounds Westchester Medical Center, Department of Radiation Medicine.(Invited Speaker) Valhalla, New York, August 2, 2002.
- Grand Rounds Invited Speaker Breast Cancer in the 21st Century University of Florida in Gainesville May 2003
- Fifth Annual Breast Cancer Symposium Weill Cornell University The Latest News About Breast Cancer "Partial Breast Radiation" May 15, 2003
- "Brachytherapy in the Management of Cancers of Head and Neck and Breast Cancer Cancer Care, Education & Research Conference International Meeting Apollo Cancer Center Hospitals Hyderbad , India 23, 24, 25, 2003.
- "Controversies in the Management of Breast Cancer" New Horizons in Oncology: A Cancer Symposium 2002. (Invited Speaker) St. Luke's Cornwall Hospital. New Windsor, New York, October 30, 2002.
- "Brachytherapy in the Management of Cancers of Head and Neck Cancer Care, Education & Research Conference International (Invited Speaker) Taj Residency, Hyderabad, India, August 23, 24, 25, 2003.
- (Invited Speaker)New York Methodist Hospital. Brooklyn, New York, October 30, 2003
- Annual Cancer Symposium and Oncology Expo (Invited Speaker) Lakeland Hospital, St. Joseph, Mi. November 15, 2003
- Annual Symposium of the New York Metropolitan Breast Cancer Group (Invited Speaker) February 7, 2004 Mt. Sinai Medical Center
- HDR Brachytherapy with Surface Applicators: Technical Considerations and Dosimetry: Albert M. Sabbas, Ph.D, Fridon G. Kulidzhanov, Ph.D, Joseph Presser, M.Sc., Mary K. Hayes, M.D., Dattatreyudu Nori, M.D. Technology in Cancer Research & Treatment ISSN 1533-0346 Volume 3, Number 3, June (2004)
Honors and Awards
HONORS Westchester Heart Association Pre-Med Grant, 1975 Beta Beta Beta National Biological Honor Society, 1974 Student Government, 1971, 1974, 1975.
- Radiation Oncology
- Breast Cancer
Associate Professor of Clinical Radiation Oncology
Weill Cornell Medical College
Associate Attending Radiation Oncologist
- Radiation Oncology
- M.S., Boston University, 1980
- M.D., Ross University School of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine (Dominica, WI), 1984