Michael W. O'Dell, M.D.
Michael W. O'Dell, M.D. is the Chief of Clinical Services, Department of Rehabilitation Medicine at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital-Weill Cornell Center and Medical Director of the Inpatient Rehabilitation Medicine Center. He is also Professor of Clinical Rehabilitation Medicine at Weill Cornell Medical College. Dr. O'Dell is nationally known for his clinical expertise, education and research in the area of neurological rehabilitation in persons with stroke, multiple sclerosis, traumatic brain injury and neurological tumors,among others. Along with an outstanding group of rehabilitation therapists and nurses, Dr. O'Dell strives to minimize the impact of neurologic injury or disorder and maximize function. For more information about our Spasticity Management Program, click here
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Rehabilitation Medicine
- Neurological Rehabilitation
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Spasticity Management
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Stroke Rehabilitation
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA [HMO]
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus [CHP]
- Fidelis Care
- GHI [CBP]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Republic
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [Medicare]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [HMO]
- M.D., Indiana University School of Medicine, 1985
Honors and Awards
PM&R Faculty Teaching Award, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, 1992.
Attending of the Year, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Long Island Jewish Medical Center, 1998.
Faculty Teaching Award, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Long Island Jewish Medical Center, 2000.
Professor of Clinical Rehabilitation Medicine
Weill Cornell Medical College
Adjunct Professor of Rehabilitation Medicine
Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
Dr. Michael W. O'Dell received his Medical Degree in 1985 from Indiana University School of Medicine and completed a residency in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania in 1989. In 1991, he completed a Fellowship in Brain Injury and Trauma Rehabilitation at Mediplex-Rehabilitation in Camden, New Jersey. Dr. O'Dell currently serves as Chief of Clinical Services and Attending Physiatrist in the Department of Rehabilitation Medicine. He joined NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital in 2001, prior to which he held several academic appointments, medical directorships and administrative positions. He is nationally recognized in the rehabilitation of brain injury and neurological diseases.
Dr. O'Dell is a Professor of Clinical Rehabilitation Medicine at Weill Medical College of Cornell University and Adjunct Professor of Clinical Rehabilitation Medicine at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons. He is a member of the American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (AAPMR). He serves on the Editorial Board of the Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation and is the co-editor of Cancer Rehabilitation: Principles and Practice, published by Demos in 2009. Dr. O'Dell has published over 15 book chapters, over 45 neurological scientific papers, dozens of abstracts, given professional presentations throughout the world in the area of neurological rehabilitation medicine.