Michael W. O'Dell, M.D is Professor of Clinical Rehabilitation Medicine at Weill Cornell Medical College. Dr. O'Dell is nationally known for his clinical expertise, education and research in the area of neurological rehabilitation in persons with stroke, multiple sclerosis, traumatic brain injury, and neurological tumors, among others. Along with an outstanding group of rehabilitation therapists and nurses, Dr. O'Dell strives to minimize the impact of neurologic injury or disorder and maximize function. For more information about our Spasticity Management Program, click here.
Specialties and Expertise
- Rehabilitation Medicine
- Neurological Rehabilitation
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Spasticity Management
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Stroke Rehabilitation
Dr. Michael W. O'Dell received his Medical Degree in 1985 from Indiana University School of Medicine and completed a residency in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania in 1989. In 1991, he completed a Fellowship in Brain Injury and Trauma Rehabilitation at Mediplex-Rehabilitation in Camden, New Jersey. Dr. O'Dell currently serves as Chief of Clinical Services and Attending Physiatrist in the Department of Rehabilitation Medicine. He joined NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital in 2001, prior to which he held several academic appointments, medical directorships and administrative positions. He is nationally recognized in the rehabilitation of brain injury and neurological diseases.
Dr. O'Dell is a Professor of Clinical Rehabilitation Medicine at Weill Medical College of Cornell University and Adjunct Professor of Clinical Rehabilitation Medicine at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons. He is a member of the American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (AAPMR). He serves on the Editorial Board of the Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation and is the co-editor of Cancer Rehabilitation: Principles and Practice, published by Demos in 2009. Dr. O'Dell has published over 15 book chapters, over 45 neurological scientific papers, dozens of abstracts, given professional presentations throughout the world in the area of neurological rehabilitation medicine.
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
PM&R Faculty Teaching Award, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, 1992.
Attending of the Year, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Long Island Jewish Medical Center, 1998.
Faculty Teaching Award, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Long Island Jewish Medical Center, 2000.
- American Board of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Professor of Clinical Rehabilitation Medicine - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
- Attending Physiatrist - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Adjunct Professor of Rehabilitation Medicine - Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
Education and Training
- M.D., Indiana University School of Medicine, 1985
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - PPO
- AETNA - Medicare
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Connection
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Community Plan
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare Compass
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- WorldWide Medical