Michael H. Sacks, M.D.
525 East 68th Street
New York, NY 10065
P: (212) 746-3710
Michael H. Sacks, MD is Professor of Psychiatry at Weill Cornell Medical College and Attending Psychiatrist at the New York Presbyterian Hospital. He is an expert in combining pharmacology with psychodynamic/cognitive approaches for the brief treatment of depression, anxiety, personality disorders and relationship disorders.
- General Psychiatry
- Adult Psychiatry
- Family Counseling
- Anxiety Disorder
- Personality Disorder
- Bipolar Disorder
- Family Therapy
- Borderline Personality Disorder
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Mood Disorder
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
- Borderline Behavior
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Psychodynamic Psychotherapy
- Psychopharmacology and Psychotherapy
- Marital Therapy
- Inpatient Treatment
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [NYPH Employees Only]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- M.D., New York University School of Medicine, 1967
- M.A., Oxford University (United Kingdom), 1963
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology in 1982.
- Fellow, American Psychiatric Society.
- Fellow, American Psychoanalytic Association.
- Listed in "How to Find the Best Doctors: New York Metro Area, Connolly Medical LTD." in 1997 and 2000.
Professor of Psychiatry
Weill Cornell Medical College
Michael H. Sacks, MD is Professor of Psychiatry at Weill Cornell Medicine and Attending Psychiatrist at the New York Presbyterian Hospital. He graduated Magna Cum Laude with a B.A from Williams College and attended Oxford University on a Tyng Fellowship where he obtained an M.A. in English Literature. His M.D. is from New York University Medical College and his psychiatric training from Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons-New York State Psychiatric Institute.
Dr. Sacks' post graduate work includes two years of research at the National Institute of Health and psychoanalytic training at the Center for Psychoanalytic Training and Research at the Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons. He was certified as a psychoanalyst by The American Psychoanalytic Association in 1977. In 2004 he became a Distinguished Life Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association.
He is the author of 72 articles and chapters and has co edited two books: The Psychology of Sport and an Annotated Bibliography to the Psychiatric Literature. NIH Grants include: studies of HIV infection in psychiatric inpatients; and two separate studies of depression comparing supportive therapy to interpersonal therapy in young adults and to cognitive behavioral therapy in the geriatric population.
His teaching of medical students and residents has been highly praised. He is a winner of the Resident Teacher of the year in 1998, and in 2007 he received the medical student award for outstanding teaching.
He is currently Director of an Inpatient Unit and divides his time between the treatment of inpatient and outpatients. He is an expert in combining pharmacology with psychodynamic/cognitive approaches for the brief treatment of depression, anxiety, personality disorders and relationship disorders.
To schedule appointments:
Call - (212) 746-3710