You are here
New York, NY 10279
Raised by a Registered Nurse, I have always known the value of patient-centered care. Becoming a midwife fulfilled my childhood fascination with the transformative power of giving birth. I am passionate about caring for women and their families and creating a space for women to feel relaxed, safe, and trusted to make decisions about their bodies.
Specialties & Expertise
- Certified Nurse Midwife
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- AETNA [HMO]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- GHI [CBP]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- * Medicaid
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- UHC Compass
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care
Clinical & Academic Positions
Staff Associate in Obstetrics and Gynecology
Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education & Training
- M.S., Columbia University, 2007
- B.S., Columbia University, 2005
- B.S., Mansfield University of Pennsylvania, 1998
While Melissa Bair was always interested in women’s issues and healthcare, she did not settle on a career in midwifery right away. Entering college a Music Therapy major, she graduated from Mansfield University of Pennsylvania with a Bachelor of Science in Mass Communication. This brought her to New York where she worked in advertising for five years. During this time she learned of midwifery practices in New York City and was reminded of her passion and deep desire to work in healthcare tending to women and their families. It was then that she promptly applied to nursing programs and began volunteer work as a mentor to pregnant teens. She completed her Bachelor of Science in Nursing at Columbia University and continued her education there earning her Master of Science in Nursing. She has been a board certified nurse midwife since 2006.
Prior to joining Weill Cornell Medicine in 2015, Melissa Bair practiced midwifery at Mount Sinai Roosevelt Hospital and Jamaica Hospital Medical Center.