Locations and Appointments
- Anatomic Pathology and Clinical Pathology
- Gynecologic Pathology
- Anatomic Pathology
Clinical & Academic Positions
- Attending Pathologist - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education & Training
- M.D., Stanford University School of Medicine, 1986
Dr. Hedrick-Ellenson received her medical degree at Stanford University and completed her training in pathology at the Johns Hopkins Hospital. Upon completion of those studies, she was appointed Instructor, subsequently Assistant Professor and finally Associate Professor of Pathology at the Johns Hopkins. Dr. Hedrick-Ellenson was appointed Associate Professor of Pathology at Cornell and Associate Attending Pathologist at The New York Hospital in 1998.
Dr. Hedrick-Ellenson has a national reputation for her diagnostic expertise and clinical research involving endometrial carcinoma. Dr. Hedrick-Ellenson serves as Director of the Division of Gynecologic Pathology and as such is responsible for the efficient delivery of accurate diagnostic services in gynecologic pathology.
Dr. EllensonÂs research interest is in endometrial carcinoma, the most common malignancy of the female genital tract. Although it is often thought of as a single disease, there is epidemiological and clinicopathological evidence to support the view that endometrial carcinoma encompasses two broad categories of malignant epithelial tumors. Each broad category is composed predominantly of one histological type of endometrial carcinoma. The most common is uterine endometrioid carcinoma (UEC) and the other less common, but more aggressive type, is called uterine serous carcinoma (USC). We are currently using molecular approaches to define the differences, and the similarities, in the molecular genetic alterations of the two types of endometrial carcinoma and develop a genetic mouse model of endometrial tumorigenesis.
Dr. Lora Hedrick Ellenson, a pathologist and molecular biologist, is a Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine and Director of the Division of Gynecological Pathology. Dr. Ellenson was formally trained as an Anatomic Pathologist, and a molecular geneticist. She received her B.A. from University of California at Berkeley in 1980, and her M.D. from Stanford University School of Medicine in 1986. After completing her Residency in Pathology at Johns Hopkins, she joined the laboratory of Dr. Bert Volgelstein. At Johns Hopkins, she was promoted to Assistant Professor with joint appointments in Pathology, Gynecology and Obstetrics, and Oncology in 1994 and to Associate Professor in 1997. She came to the Weill Medical College of Cornell University in 1998 and was promoted to Professor in 2004. While satisfying her clinical duties, Dr. Ellenson oversees an NIH funded research program on the development of a genetic mouse model of endometrial tumorigenesis.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - PPO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - HMO
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- Amida Care
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Pathway X
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Pathway X Enhanced
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care - Medicare
- United Health Care
- United Health Care - Community Plan
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- WellCare Health Plans
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
- 1995-1997 Passano Physician Scientist Award.
- 1989-1990 American Cancer Society Fellowship for Clinical Oncology.
- 1983 Medical Scholars Award, Stanford University School of Medicine.
- 1980 Departmental Award for Outstanding Undergraduate Achievement, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of California, Berkeley.
- 1980 High Honors, University of California, Berkeley.
- 1980 Phi Beta Kappa.