Koen van Besien, M.D.
Dr. van Besien is a graduate of the College ND de la Paix in Namur, Belgium and from the University of Leuven, Belgium where he also did his clinical training in Medicine. He holds a PhD from the University of Maastricht in the Netherlands.He did a hematology/oncology fellowship at Indiana University and in Bruges, Belgium. Afterwards he was on the faculty in the transplant program at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston Texas. He directed the Transplant program at the University of Illinois from 1997 until 2001 and the Transplant and Lymphoma programs at the University of Chicago from 2001 until 2011.
Dr. van Besien is the Director of the Stem Cell Transplant Program, a Professor of Medicine at Weill Cornell Medical College and Attending Physician at the New York-Presbyterian Hospital.
Dr. van Besien has established a national and international reputation with several research and clinical interests. He has devoted considerable efforts at developing novel treatment strategies for patients with recurrent lymphoma, including the introduction of novel drugs and treatment in salvage therapy and in transplant conditioning regimens. He also has developed novel methods of transplantation for those patients who lack matching donors. Most recently his group has described a novel concept of haplo-cord transplantation with extremely encouraging results.
Dr. van Besien has over 210 publications in peer reviewed journals and his research continues to be supported by NIH. He is a member of the editorial review boards of the journals Bone Marrow Transplantation and Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation. He is also Editor in Chief of the journal Leukemia and Lymphoma.
Dr. van Besien oversees the transplant program at Weill Cornell Medical College/New York Presbyterian Hospital. Deciding on stem cell, umbilical cord or bone marrow transplant is complex. One's care involves a large number of health care professionals and a team approach. Weill Cornell Medical College/New York Presbyterian Hospital has world class facilities and a transplant team that provides superb care and has access to the latest clinical research. We are lucky to have renowned leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma experts who are intimately involved in the decision process. New York Presbyterian is consistently ranked among the very best hospitals in the nations. If complications arise, we can therefore count on the help of some of the best experts in a variety of disciplines including infectious diseases, pulmonary, gastro-enterology.
- Internal Medicine
- Medical Oncology
- Medical Oncology
- Stem Cell Transplant
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- AETNA [HMO]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus [CHP]
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Fidelis Care
- GHI [CBP]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Metro (Effective 1/1/2016)]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Oxford Health Plans [Charter]
- Oxford Health Plans [Core]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- United Health Care
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [Medicare]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [HMO]
- M.D., Catholic University of Louvain, Faculty of Medicine (Belgium), 1984
- Ph.D., University of Maastricht Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences (Netherlands), 2006
Honors and Awards
Listed in "Best Doctors in America 2005-present
Listed in "Best Doctors in Chicago" Chicago Magazine 2006- present
Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Weill Cornell Medical College
Professor of Medicine
Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University