Kate Elizabeth McCarn, M.D.
Dr. McCarn focuses her practice exclusively on plastic and reconstructive surgery of the head and neck. Her passion is helping patients look and feel their best.
Minimally invasive facial rejuvenation- injectable fillers, botulinum toxin, peels, dermabrasion, laser resurfacing and skincare.
Facelift, necklift, brow lift, upper and lower eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty)
Rhinoplasty (primary, revision and functional)
Otoplasty (pinning back the ears), reconstruction of torn or stretched out earlobes
Cleft lip and palate repair, Reconstruction of defects of the head and neck resulting from removal of skin cancer or other tumors. Reconstruction after facial trauma, Microtia repair, Rehabilitation of facial nerve paralysis.
Dr. McCarn is originally from the Washington D.C. area. She attended the University of Virginia, obtaining a B.S. in biochemistry with high distinction and her M.D. With an eye toward a career in Facial Plastic Surgery, she did her residency in Otolaryngology- Head & Neck Surgery at Oregon Health & Science University where she took an interest in wound healing research. She completed her training at the University of Minnesota Fellowship in Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
She is currently interested in looking prospectively at outcomes in rhinoplasty patients and children with craniofacial abnormalities including cleft lip and palate. She is a member of the cleft and craniofacial team at Weill Cornell Medical College.
When not caring for patients, Dr. McCarn travels on mission trips abroad to help those in need of facial reconstructive surgery.
If you are scheduled to see Dr. McCarn as a new patient, please print and complete the Patient Packet and bring it with you on the day of your appointment. Thank you
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- AETNA [HMO]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Fidelis Care
- GHI [CBP]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [CHP]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care
1. K McCarn, B Yursik, S Halim, JK Roche. Peri-epithelial origin of prostanoids in the human colon. J. Cell Physiol 194(2), 176 – 85 (2003).
2. KE McCarn, SS Park. Lip reconstruction. Facial Plast Surg Clin North Am. 13(2), 301-14 (2005).
3. KE McCarn, SS Park. Lip reconstruction. Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 40(2), 361-80 (2007).
4. KE McCarn, Ghanem T, Andersen PE, Wax MK. Second free tissue transfers in head and neck reconstruction. Otolaryngology- Head and Neck Surg. 139(4), 525-9 (2008).
5. KE McCarn, BW Downs, TA Cook, TD Wang. (2011) The middle vault: upper lateral cartilage modifications. In B. Azizzadeh et.al. Eds.) Master Techniques in Rhinoplasty and Nasal Reconstruction (pp. 159-169). Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier Saunders
6. PC Angelos, KE McCarn , SR Winn, T Ghanem, DS Kaurin, J Holland, MK Wax. Development of an irradiated rodent model to study flap revascularization. Arch Facial Plast Surg. 12(2), 119-22 (2010).
7. KE McCarn, SM Weber. Ultrasonography for rapid detection of pneumothorax after costal cartilage harvest. Arch Facial Plast Surg. 2011 Jan-Feb; 13(1): 57-9
8. K McCarn, PA Hilger. Three-dimensional analysis of tissue expanders. Facial Plast Surg Clin North Am. (2011)
9. L Thai, KE McCarn, W Stott, T Watts, MK Wax, PE Andersen, ND Gross. Venous Thromboembolism in Head and Neck Cancer Patients after Surgery. Submitted for publication (2011)
Honors and Awards
2000 Student Research Fellow of the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
2001 Bachelor of Science with High Distinction (Thesis: Cellular Sources of Prostanoids in the Human Colonic Mucosa) University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
2009 Resident travel award recipient: western section of the triological society
2009 Resident travel grant recipient: AAO-HNS annual meeting
2010 Humanitarian Travel Award: Coya Peru, AAO-HNS
- Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Microtia Repair
- Chemical Peel (Chemosurgery)
- Laser Skin Resurfacing
- Brow Lift
- Cleft Lip and Palate
- Collagen Injections
- Correction of Facial Deformity
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery
- Scar Revision
- Reconstructive Facial Surgery
- B.S., University of Virginia, 2001
- M.D., University of Virginia School of Medicine, 2005