John T. Walkup, M.D.
John T. Walkup, MD is Professor of Psychiatry, DeWitt Wallace Senior Scholar, the Vice Chair of Psychiatry, and Director of the Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Weill Cornell Medical College and NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital. Prior to joining the faculty at Weill Cornell, Dr. Walkup spent 20 years at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine serving as Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences and Deputy Director in the Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. He had a joint appointment in the Center for American Indian Health at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health where he was Director of Behavioral Research.
Dr. Walkup has three main academic areas of interest. His work with Tourette syndrome, uniquely spans psychiatry, child psychiatry and neurology; his expertise in interventions research focuses on the development and evaluation of psychopharmacological and psychosocial treatments for the major psychiatric disorders of childhood including anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, Tourette syndrome and suicidal behavior; and lastly, he has been involved in developing and evaluating interventions to reduce the large mental health disparities facing Native American youth, specifically drug use and suicide prevention.
Dr. Walkup has been awarded the Norbert and Charlotte Rieger Award for Academic Achievement in 2009 from the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and the Blanche F. Ittleson Award for Research in Child Psychiatry in 2011 from the American Psychiatric Association. His team at the Center for American Indian Health at Johns Hopkins won the Bronze Achievement Award from the Institute of Psychiatric Services of American Psychiatric Association in 2012 for the pioneering suicide prevention project on the White Mountain Apache Reservation.
Dr. Walkup is Chair of the Medical Advisory Board of the USA Tourette Syndrome Association, and he serves on the Scientific Advisory Boards of the Trichotillomania Learning Center and the Anxiety Disorders Association of America and the American Foundation of Suicide Prevention. He is also the Deputy Editor for Psychopharmacology for the Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. His research has been published in major medical journals including Journal of the American Medical Association and the New England Journal of Medicine, an unusual accomplishment for a child and adolescent psychiatrist.
Dr. Walkup has specific expertise in Tourette Syndrome and anxiety disorders including OCD. He also has expertise in the conditions which commonly co-occur including mood disorders and psychotic disorders. His consultations often focus on children and adolescents with refractory psychiatric disorders and include a review of the diagnostic assessments, the pharmacological treatment approach and whether there are environmental/behavioral factors that may function to sustain or enhance clinical impairment.
Books, Book Chapters, Monographs
1. Leckman JF, Walkup JT, Riddle MA, Towbin KE, Cohen DJ: Tic Disorders. In Meltzer HY, Bunney W, Coyle J et al., (eds): Psychopharmacology, The Third Generation of Progress, New York: Raven Press, 1987.
2. Leckman JF, Walkup JT, Cohen DJ: Clonidine Treatment of Tourette Syndrome. In Cohen DJ, Bruun R, Leckman JF (eds): Tourette Syndrome and Tic Disorders: Clinical Understanding and Treatment. New York: Wiley, 1988.
3. Joshi PJ, Coyle JT, Walkup JT: Pharmacotherapy in Children and Adolescents. In Ghuman HS, Sarles RM (eds.): Handbook of Adolescent Inpatient Psychiatric Treatment. New York: Brunner/Mazel, 1994.
4. Walkup JT: Clinical decision making in child and adolescent psychopharmacology, Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Clinics of North America, January, 1995.
5. Walkup JT, Scahill L, Riddle MA: Disruptive behavior, hyperactivity and learning disabilities in children with Tourette’s Syndrome. In Weiner WJ & Lang AE (eds.): Behavioral Neurology of Movement Disorders. New York: Raven Press, 1995.
6. Riddle MA, Walkup JT: Anxiety Disorders in Children and Adolescents (5 chapters with Foreword and Afterword). In: American Psychiatric Press Review of Psychiatry, Vol. 15. Dickstein LJ, Oldham JM, Riba MB (eds.), 1996.
7. Riddle MA, Walkup JT: Tourette Syndrome. In: Current Therapy in Neurological Diseases, Fifth Edition, Griffin JW, Johnson RT (eds.) Mosby-Year Book Inc., 1996.
8. Walkup JT, Riddle MA: Tic disorders. In Psychiatry, Tasman A, Kay J, Lieberman JA (eds.) Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders Co., 1996.
9. Rendleman R, Walkup JT: Mood Disorders in Adolescents. In Noshpitz J et al (eds.): The Handbook of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. Volume 3, Adolescence: Development and Syndromes. New York: Basic Books, 1997.
10. Walkup JT, Amos T, Riddle MA: Tics and Tourette Syndrome. In: Coffey CE and Brumback RA (eds.): Textbook of Pediatric Neuropsychiatry. Washington, D.C.: American Psychiatric Press Inc., 1998.
11. Walkup JT, Khan S, Schuerholz L, Paik Y-S, Leckman JF, Schultz RT: Phenomenology and Natural History of Tic-related ADHD and Learning Disabilities. In Leckman JF & Cohen DJ (eds) Tourette’s Syndrome – Tics, Obsessions, Compulsions: Developmental Psychopathology and Clinical Care. New York: Wiley, 1999.
12. Walkup JT, Ritter-Welzant J, Kastelic DA, Joshi N, Frosch E: Antidepressants III: Other Agents. In Pediatric Psychopharmacology. A Martin, L Scahill, DS Charney, JF Leckman, Oxford University Press, London, 2002.
13. Walkup JT: Tic Disorders and Tourette’s Syndrome. In Practical Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology, Stan Kutcher (ed.) Cambridge, England: Cambridge University Press, 2002.
14. Walkup JT, Riddle MA, Childhood Disorders: Tic Disorders. In Psychiatry, Tasman A, Kay J, Lieberman JA (eds.) Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders Co., 2003.
15. Ginsburg G & Walkup JT: Social Phobia. In Phobic and Anxiety Disorders in Children and Adolescents, Ollendick T, March J (eds.) New York: Oxford Press, 2004.
16. Kingery JN*, Walkup JT: Anxiety Disorders in Children in Singer HS, Kossoff EH, Hartman AL, and Crawford TO (eds). Treatment of Pediatric Neurologic Disorders. Boca Raton: Taylor and Francis Group, 2005.
17. Lee M*, Walkup, JT. Neuropsychopharmacology in Swaiman KF, Ashwal S, Ferriero DM (eds.), Pediatric Neurology, 4th Edition. Philadelphia: Mosby Elsevier, 2006.
18. Walkup JT, Mink, J, Hollenbeck, P (eds): Advances in Neurology, Volume 99: Tourette Syndrome. Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins, 2006.
19. Woods, DW, Piacentini JC, Walkup JT (eds): Treating Tourette Syndrome and Tic Disorders: A Guide for Practitioners. Guilford Press, 2007.
20. Harrison JN*, Schneider B*, and Walkup, JT. Medical Management of Tourette Syndrome and Co-Occurring Conditions in Woods D, Piacentini JP, Walkup JT (Eds). Treating Tourette Syndrome and Tic Disorders: A Guide for Practitioners. New York: Guilford Press, 2007.
21. Walkup JT, Schneider BN*. Tourette’s Syndrome in Psychiatric Aspects of Neurologic Disease, Lyketsos C, Rabins P and Slavney P (Eds.) New York: Oxford University Press. 2008.
22. Woods DW, Piacentini JC, Chang S, Deckersbach T, Ginsburg G, Peterson AL, Scahil, LD, Walkup J & Wilhelm S. Managing Tourette’s Syndrome: A Behavioral Intervention for Children and Adults (Therapist Guide). Oxford University Press, 2008.
23. Woods DW, Piacentini JC, Chang S, Deckersbach T, Ginsburg G, Peterson AL, Scahil, LD, Walkup J, & Wilhelm S. Managing Tourette’s Syndrome: A Behavioral Intervention for Children and Adults (Adult Workbook). Oxford University Press, 2008.
24. Woods DW, Piacentini J C, Chang S, Deckersbach T, Ginsburg G, Peterson AL, Scahill LD, Walkup J & Wilhelm S. Managing Tourette’s Syndrome: A Behavioral Intervention for Children and Adults (Parent Workbook). Oxford University Press. 2008
25. Specht M*, Pierce-Keeton C*, Walkup, JT. Childhood Disorders: Tic Disorders in Psychiatry, Tasman A, Kay J, Lieberman JA (Eds.) Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders Co. 2008.
26. Keeton CP*, Walkup JT. Separation Anxiety, Generalized Anxiety, and Social Phobia. B. Sadock, V. Sadock, and P. Ruiz (Eds.) Comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry, 9th edition. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2009:3684-93.
27. Keeton CP*, Walkup JT. Commentary: Pharmacological Treatment of Selective Mutism. In C. Galanter and P. Jensen (Eds.) DSM-IV-TR Casebook and Treatment Guide for Child Mental Health. Wahsington D.C.: American Psychiatric Publishing, 2009.
Peer-reviewed Journal Publications (*denotes mentee authorship)
1. Leckman JF, Price RA, Walkup JT, Ort S, Pauls DL, Cohen DJ. Nongenetic factors in Gilles de la Tourette's syndrome. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1987; 44(1):100.
2. Walkup JT, Leckman JF, Price RA, Hardin M, Ort SI, Cohen DJ: The relationship between obsessive-compulsive disorder and Tourette’s syndrome: a twin study. Psychopharmacol Bull 1988; 24(3):375-379.
3. Leckman JF, Dolansky ES, Hardin MT, Clubb M, Walkup JT, Stevenson J, Pauls DL: Perinatal factors in the expression of Tourette’s syndrome: an exploratory study. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 1990; 29(2):220-226.
4. Walkup JT, Rosenberg LA, Brown J, Singer HS: The validity of instruments measuring tic severity in Tourette’s syndrome. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 1992; 31(3):472-477.
5. Walkup JT, LaBuda MC, Singer HS, Brown J, Riddle MA, Hurko O. Family study and segregation analysis of Tourette syndrome: evidence for a mixed model of inheritance. Am J Hum Genet, 1996;59(3):684-693. Accompanying editorial by Patel PI. Quest for the elusive genetic basis of Tourette syndrome. Am J Hum Genet 1996; 59(5):980-2.
6. The Tourette Syndrome Association International Consortium for Genetics (Hopkins site – Walkup JT, LaBuda MC, Guliano J, Singer HS, Riddle MA). A complete genome screen in sib pairs affected by Gilles de la Tourette syndrome. Am J Hum Genet 1999; 65(5):1428-1436.
7. Nestadt G, Samuels J, Riddle M, Bienvenu III OJ, Liang KY, LaBuda M, Walkup J, Grados M, Hoehn-Saric R. A family study of obsessive-compulsive disorder. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2000; 57(4):358-363.
8. Singer HS, Giuliano JD, Zimmerman AM, Walkup JT. Infection: a stimulus for tic disorders. Pediatr Neurol 2000; 22(5):380-383.
9. Walkup J, Labellarte M: Complications of SSRI treatment. J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol 2001; 11(1):1-4.
10. Riddle MA, Reeve EA, Yaryura-Tobias JA, Yang HM, Claghorn JL, Gaffney G, Greist JH, Holland D, McConville BJ, Pigott T, Walkup JT. Fluvoxamine for children and adolescents with obsessive-compulsive disorder: a randomized, controlled, multi-center trial. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2001; 40(2):222-229.
11. Walkup JT, Frosch E: The depression severity assessment dilemma. J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol 2001; 11(3):209-214.
12. The Research Units of Pediatric Psychopharmacology Anxiety Study Group (Hopkins site – Walkup JT, Labellarte M, Riddle MA). Fluvoxamine for the treatment of anxiety disorders in children and adolescents. N Engl J Med 2001; 344(17):1279-1285.
13. Grados MA, Riddle MA, Samuels JF, Liang KY, Hoehn-Saric R, Bienvenu OJ, Walkup JT, Song D, Nestadt G. The familial phenotype of obsessive-compulsive disorder in relation to tic disorders: the Hopkins OCD family study. Biol Psychiatry 2001; 50(8):559-565.
14. Wissow LS, Walkup J, Barlow A, Reid R, Kane S. Cluster and regional influences on suicide in a Southwestern American Indian tribe. Soc Sci Med 2001; 53(9):1115-1124.
15. The Research Units of Pediatric Psychopharmacology Anxiety Study Group (Hopkins site – Walkup JT, Labellarte M, Riddle MA). Treatment of pediatric anxiety disorders: an open-label extension of the research units on pediatric psychopharmacology anxiety study. J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol 2002; 12(3):175-188.
16. The Research Units of Pediatric Psychopharmacology Anxiety Study Group (Hopkins site – Riddle MA, Ginsburg G, Walkup JT). The Pediatric Anxiety Rating Scale (PARS): development and psychometric properties. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2002; 41(9):1061-1069.
17. The Research Units of Pediatric Psychopharmacology Anxiety Study Group (Hopkins site – Walkup JT, Labellarte M, Riddle MA). Searching for moderators and mediators of pharmacological treatment effects in children and adolescents with anxiety disorders. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2003; 42(1):13-21.
18. Leckman JF, Pauls DL, Zhang H, Rosario-Campos MC, Katsovich L, Kidd KK, Pakstis AJ, Alsobrook JP, Robertson MM, McMahon WM, Walkup JT, van de Wetering BJ, King RA, Cohen DJ; Tourette Syndrome Association International Consortium for Genetics. Obsessive-compulsive symptom dimensions in affected sibling pairs diagnosed with Gilles de la Tourette syndrome. Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 2003 Jan 1;116(1):60-8.
19. The Treatment for Adolescents with Depression Study Team (Hopkins site-Walkup JT, Ginsburg G, Kastelic E, Koo H). Treatment for Adolescents with Depression Study (TADS): Rationale, Design, and Methods. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2003; 42(5):531-542.
20. Labellarte MJ, Walkup JT, Riddle MA. Benign U-wave mistaken for QTc prolongation. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2003; Jun;42(6):621.
21. Greenhill LL, Vitiello B, Riddle MA, Fisher P, Shockey E, March JS, Levine J, Fried J, Abikoff H, Zito JM, McCracken JT, Findling RL, Robinson J, Cooper TB, Davies M, Varipatis E, Labellarte MJ, Scahill L, Walkup JT, Capasso L, Rosengarten J. Review of safety assessment methods used in pediatric psychopharmacology. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2003; Jun;42(6):627-33.
22. Vitiello B, Riddle MA, Greenhill LL, March JS, Levine J, Schachar RJ, Abikoff H, Zito JM, McCracken JT, Walkup JT, Findling RL, Robinson J, Cooper TB, Davies M, Varipatis E, Labellarte MJ, Scahill L, Capasso L. How can we improve the assessment of safety in child and adolescent psychopharmacology? J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2003; Jun;42(6):634-41.
23. Greenhill LL, Vitiello B, Abikoff H, Levine J, March JS, Riddle MA, CapassoL, Cooper TB, Davies M, Fisher P, Findling RL, Fried J, Labellarte MJ, McCracken JT, McMahon D, Robinson J, Skrobala A, Scahill L, Varipatis E, Walkup JT, Zito JM. Developing methodologies for monitoring long-term safety of psychotropic medications in children: report on the NIMH conference, September 25, 2000. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2003; Jun;42(6):651-5.
24. Treatment for Adolescents with Depression Study Group (Hopkins Site – Walkup JT, Ginsburg, G, Kastelic E and Koo, H). Fluoxetine, cognitive-behavioral therapy, and their combination for adolescents with depression: Treatment for Adolescents with Depression Study (TADS) randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2004; 293(7):807-20.
25. Greenhill LL, Vitiello B, Fisher P, Levine J, Davies M, Abikoff H, Chrisman AK, Chuang S, Findling RL, March J, Scahill L, Walkup J, Riddle MA. Comparison of increasingly detailed elicitation methods for the assessment of adverse events in pediatric psychopharmacology. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2004; Dec;43(12):1488-96.
26. Abikoff H, McGough J, Vitiello B, McCracken J, Davies M, Walkup J, Riddle M, Oatis M, Greenhill L, Skrobala A, March J, Gammon P, Robinson J, Lazell R, McMahon DJ, Ritz L. Sequential pharmacotherapy for children with comorbid attention-deficit/hyperactivity and anxiety disorders. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2005; 44(5):418-27.
27. Kratochvil CJ, Lake M, Pliszka SR, Walkup JT. Pharmacological management of treatment-induced insomnia in ADHD. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2005; 44(5):499-501.
28. Kratochvil CJ, Simons A, Vitiello B, Walkup J, Emslie G, Rosenberg D, March JS. A Multisite Psychotherapy and Medication Trial for Depressed Adolescents: Background and Benefits. Cognitive and Behavioral Practice 2005; 12:159–165.
29. Ginsburg GS, Albano AM, Findling RL, Kratochvil C, Walkup J. Integrating Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Pharmacotherapy in the Treatment of Adolescent Depression. Cognitive and Behavioral Practice 2005; 12:252–262.
30. Scahill L, Erenberg G, Berlin CM Jr, Budman C, Coffey BJ, Jankovic J, Kiessling L, King RA, Kurlan R, Lang A, Mink J, Murphy T, Zinner S, Walkup J; Tourette Syndrome Association Medical Advisory Board: Practice Committee. Contemporary assessment and pharmacotherapy of Tourette syndrome. NeuroRx. 2006; 3(2):192-206.
31. Kratochvil CJ, Vitiello B, Walkup J, Emslie G, Waslick BD, Weller EB, Burke WJ, March JS. Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors in pediatric depression: is the balance between benefits and risks favorable? J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol 2006;16(1-2):11-24.
32. Mink JW, Walkup J, Frey KA, Como P, Cath D, Delong MR, Erenberg G, Jankovic J,Juncos J, Leckman JF, Swerdlow N, Visser-Vandewalle V, Vitek JL; Tourette Syndrome Association, Inc. Patient selection and assessment recommendations for deep brain stimulation in Tourette syndrome. Mov Disord 2006 Nov;21(11):1831-8.
33. Barlow A, Varipatis-Baker E, Speakman K, Ginsburg G, Friberg I, Goklish N, Cowboy B, Fields P, Hastings R, Pan W, Reid R, Santosham M, Walkup J. Home-visiting intervention to improve child care among American Indian adolescent mothers: a randomized trial. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 2006 Nov;160(11):1101-7.
34. Kratochvil C, Emslie G, Silva S, McNulty S, Walkup J, Curry J, Reinecke M,Vitiello B, Rohde P, Feeny N, Casat C, Pathak S, Weller E, May D, Mayes T, Robins M, March J; TADS Team. Acute time to response in the Treatment for Adolescents with Depression Study (TADS). J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2006 Dec;45(12):1412-8.
35. Vitiello B, Rohde P, Silva S, Wells K, Casat C, Waslick B, Simons A, Reinecke M, Weller E, Kratochvil C, Walkup J, Pathak S, Robins M, March J; TADS Team. Functioning and quality of life in the Treatment for Adolescents with Depression Study (TADS). J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2006 Dec;45(12):1419-26.
36. Emslie G, Kratochvil C, Vitiello B, Silva S, Mayes T, McNulty S, Weller E, Waslick B, Casat C, Walkup J, Pathak S, Rohde P, Posner K, March J; Columbia Suicidality Classification Group; TADS Team. Treatment for Adolescents with Depression Study (TADS): safety results. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2006 Dec;45(12):1440-55.
37. Tourette Syndrome Association International Consortium for Genetics (Hopkins site – Grados M, Singer H, Walkup JT) Genome scan for Tourette disorder in affected-sibling-pair and multigenerational families. Am J Hum Genet 2007 Feb;80(2):265-72.
38. Herman K, Ostrander, R, Walkup, JT, Silva S, March J. Empirically-Derived Subtypes of Adolescent Depression: Latent Profile Analysis of Co-Occurring Symptoms in the Treatment for Adolescents with Depression Study (TADS) J Consult Clin Psychol 2007 Oct;75(5):716-28.
39. Scharf JM, Moorjani P, Fagerness J, Platko JV, Illmann C, Galloway B, Jenike E, Stewart SE, Pauls DL; Tourette Syndrome International Consortium for Genetics (Hopkins site – Walkup, Grados and Singer). Lack of association between SLITRK1var321 and Tourette syndrome in a large family-based sample. Neurology 2008 Apr 15;70(16 Pt 2):1495-6.
40. Miller CL, Llenos IC, Cwik M, Walkup J, Weis S. Alterations in kynurenine precursor and product levels in schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. Neurochem Int 2008 May;52(6):1297-303.
41. Ginsburg GS, Varipatis EB, Mullany BC, Barlow A, Goklish N, Hastings R, Thurm A E, Speakman K, Reid R, Walkup JT,. Depressive Symptoms Among Pregnant American Indian Adolescents. Maternal and Child Health Journal. 2008 Jul;12 Suppl 1:110-8.
42. Grados MA, Mathews CA; Tourette Syndrome Association International Consortium for Genetics (Walkup, JT). Latent class analysis of gilles de la tourette syndrome using comorbidities: clinical and genetic implications. Biol Psychiatry. 2008 Aug 1;64(3):219-25.
43. Flessner CA, Woods DW, Franklin ME, Keuthen NJ, Piacentini J; Trichotillomania
Learning Center-Scientific Advisory Board TLC-SAB (Walkup, JT). Styles of pulling in youths with trichotillomania: exploring differences in symptom severity, phenomenology, and comorbid psychiatric symptoms. Behav Res Ther. 2008 Sep;46(9):1055-61.
44. Walkup JT, Albano AM, Piacentini J, Birmaher B, Compton SN, Sherrill JT, Ginsburg GS, Rynn MA, McCracken J, Waslick B, Iyengar S, March JS, Kendall PC. Cognitive behavioral therapy, sertraline, or a combination in childhood anxiety. N Engl J Med. 2008 Dec 25;359(26):2753-66.
45. Reinblatt SP*, DosReis S, Walkup JT, Riddle MA. Activation adverse events induced by the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor fluvoxamine in children and
adolescents. J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol. 2009 Apr;19(2):119-26.
46. Walkup JT, Barlow A, Mullany BC, Pan W, Goklish N, Hastings R, Cowboy B, Fields P, Varipatis Baker E, Speakman K, Ginsburg G, Reid R. Randomized controlled trial of a paraprofessional-delivered in-home intervention for young reservation-based, American Indian mothers. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 2009 Jun;48(6):591-601
47. Vitiello B, Brent D, Greenhill LL, Emslie G, Wells K, Walkup JT, Stanley B,
Bukstein O, Kennard BD, Compton S, Coffey B, Cwik MF, Posner K, Wagner A, March JS, Riddle M, Goldstein T, Curry J, Capasso L, Mayes T, Shen S, Gugga SS, Turner BJ, Barnett S, Zelazny J. Depressive Symptoms and Clinical Status During the Treatment of Adolescent Suicide Attempters Study. J Am Acad Child Adolesc
Psychiatry. 2009 Aug 21. [Epub ahead of print] Brent D, Greenhill LL, Compton S, Emslie G, Wells K, Walkup J, Vitiello B,
Bukstein O, Stanley B, Posner K, Kennard BD, Cwik M, Wagner A, Coffey B, March J, Riddle M, Goldstein T, Curry J, Barnett S, Capasso L, Zelazny J, Hughes J, Shen
S, Gugga S, Turner JB. The Treatment of Adolescent Suicide Attempters Study
(TASA): Predictors of Suicidal Events in an Open Treatment Trial. J Am Acad Child
Adolesc Psychiatry. 2009 Aug 26. [Epub ahead of print]
48. Walkup JT and the Work Group on Quality Issues of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. Practice Parameter on the Use of Psychotropic Medications in Children and Adolescents. J Am Acad Ch and Adolesc Psychiatry, 2009 Sept; 48(9):961-973.
49. Rabins P, Appleby BS, Brandt J, DeLong MR, Dunn LB, Gabriëls L, Greenberg BD,
Haber SN, Holtzheimer PE 3rd, Mari Z, Mayberg HS, McCann E, Mink SP, Rasmussen S, Schlaepfer TE, Vawter DE, Vitek JL, Walkup J, Mathews DJ. Scientific and ethical issues related to deep brain stimulation for disorders of mood, behavior, and thought. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2009 Sep;66(9):931-7
50. Mullany B, Barlow A, Goklish N, Larzelere-Hinton F, Cwik M, Craig M, Walkup
JT. Toward understanding suicide among youths: results from the White Mountain
Apache tribally mandated suicide surveillance system, 2001-2006. Am J Public
Health. 2009 Oct;99(10):1840-8. Epub 2009 Aug 20.
51. Kratochvil CJ, May DE, Silva SG, Madaan V, Puumala SE, Curry JF, Walkup J,
Kepley H, Vitiello B, March JS. Treatment response in depressed adolescents with
and without co-morbid attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder in the treatment
for adolescents with depression study. J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol. 2009
52. Compton SN, Walkup JT, Albano AM, Piacentini JC, Birmaher B, Sherrill JT,
Ginsburg GS, Rynn MA, McCracken JT, Waslick BD, Iyengar S, Kendall PC, March JS. Child/Adolescent Anxiety Multimodal Study (CAMS): rationale, design, and methods. Child Adolesc Psychiatry Ment Health. 2010 Jan 5;4(1):1. [Epub ahead of print]
Honors and Awards
2009 Norbert and Charlotte Rieger Award for Scientific Achievement
2005 Top Docs, Washingtonian Magazine
2003-5 “Master Clinician” American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
2001 Top Mental Health Docs, Baltimore Magazine 1995, 1999, 2009 Hopkins School of Medicine
1987 Laughlin Fellow, American College of Psychiatrists
1987 Presidential Scholar, American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
1983 Intern of the Year, Norwalk Hospital
- Adult Psychiatry
- Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- B.A., University of Minnesota, 1975
- M.D., University of Minnesota Medical School, 1982