John Chapin, M.D.
John Chapin, M.D., is an Assistant Professor of Medicine at Weill Cornell Medical College and Assistant Attending Physician at the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital.
After graduating from Bates College with a BS, Dr. Chapin obtained his MD from the University of Vermont in 2007. After the completion of his residency at Montefiore Medical Center, he was accepted into a three-year fellowship program in Hematology/Oncology at Weill Cornell Medical College/the New York-Presbyterian Hospital. After completing his fellowship, he was recruited to a faculty position in support of the Division’s Nonmalignant (Benign) Hematology Service.
Working with Dr. Maria DeSancho and other members of the Benign Hematology Service, Dr. Chapin’s emphasis is treating adult patients with Thalassemia and Hemophilia. He also plays an invaluable role in the transition of adult patients being cared for by pediatric hematologists to adult hematology. He collaborates with Dr. Jeffrey Laurence and other researchers at WCMC to develop focused translational research in nonmalignant hematology.
Dr. Chapin has received a number of awards, including a Haemophilia Academy Scholarship and Travel Award in 2012, a Hematology Fellow Research Consortium Travel Award in 2011, and a Barry Mishkin Award for Humanity, Ethics, and Excellence in the Practice of Medicine in 2010. In 2012, he was a Gordon Research Seminar and Conference on Hemostasis and Thrombosis Participant. He has 7 publications in peer reviewed journals, including four first-authored articles in journals that include Blood, Clinical Advances in Hematology and Oncology, and the British Journal of Haematology. He has presented abstracts at ISTH and the Thrombosis Hemostasis Research Summit of North America. Dr. Chapin is also a journal reviewer for AIDS, STD and Patient Care.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA [HMO]
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Fidelis Care
- GHI [CBP]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [CHP]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Health Republic
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [Medicare]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [HMO]
- Maeda Y, Solanky M, Menonna J, Chapin J, Li WP, Dowling P. Platelet-Derived Growth Factor-alpha Receptor-positive Oligodendroglia Are Frequent in Multiple Sclerosis Lesions. Ann Neurol 2001; 49(6):776-85.
Li W, Maeda Y, Ming X, Cook S, Chapin J, Husar W, Dowling P. Apoptotic death following Fas activation in human oligodendrocyte hybrid cultures.
J Neurosci Res 2002;69(2):189-96.
- Chapin J, Weksler B, Magro C, and Laurence J. Eculizumab in the Treatment of Refractory Idiopathic Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura. Br J Haematol 2012; 157(6):772-4.
- Chapin J, Cardi D, Gibb C, Laurence J. Combined Factor V-Factor VIII deficiency: A report of a case, genetic analysis, and response to DDAVP. Clin Adv Hem Oncol 2012; 10 (7): 472-6.
- Chapin J, Eyler S, Smith R, Tsai HM, Laurence J. Complement factor H mutations are present in ADAMTS13 deficient, ticlopidine-associated TTP. Blood 2013. In Press.
- Chapin J, Hojjati H, Schneider B. Woman with diffuse joint pains. Consultant. In Press.
- Tsai E, Zhou W, Chapin J, Laurence J, Tsai HM. Use of eculizumab in the treatment of a case of refractory, ADAMTS13 deficient thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura: additional data and clinical follow-up. Br J Haematol 2013. In Press.
Honors and Awards
Albert Schweitzer Fellow, 2002-2003
Barry Mishkin Award for Humanity, Ethics, and Excellence in the Practice of Medicine, 2010
Hematology Fellows Research Consortium Travel Award, Isle of Palms, SC, 2011
Hemostasis Thrombosis Research Society Special Coagulation Workshop Travel Award, Chicago, IL 2012
Gordon Research Seminar and Conference on Hemostasis and Thrombosis Participant, Waterville Valley, NH, 2012
Haemophilia Academy Scholarship and Travel Award, Edinburgh, Scotland, 2012
- Thrombotic Microangiopathy
- Thrombotic Disorder
- Internal Medicine
- B.S., Bates College, 2000
- M.D., University of Vermont College of Medicine, 2007