John Chapin, M.D.
Patients with congenital blood disorders like hemophilia and thalassemia have experienced a recent renaissance in treatment and clinical trial options. In addition, patients are living well into adulthood with chronic illnesses, and we as providers are witnessing the birth of a new frontier of medicine. I strongly believe in a partnership between patients and physicians. By utilizing this approach, I ensure patients are receiving state-of-the-art treatments and education about their diagnosis. I am excited to utilize my research experience and internal medicine training to help patients and advance the field through early phase clinical trials, quality of life research, and biomarker development.
- Internal Medicine
- Thrombotic Microangiopathy
- Thrombotic Disorder
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- AETNA [HMO]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus [CHP]
- Fidelis Care
- GHI [CBP]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Republic
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [Medicare]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [HMO]
- M.D., University of Vermont College of Medicine, 2007
- B.S., Bates College, 2000
Honors and Awards
Albert Schweitzer Fellow, 2002-2003
Barry Mishkin Award for Humanity, Ethics, and Excellence in the Practice of Medicine, 2010
Hematology Fellows Research Consortium Travel Award, Isle of Palms, SC, 2011
Hemostasis Thrombosis Research Society Special Coagulation Workshop Travel Award, Chicago, IL 2012
Gordon Research Seminar and Conference on Hemostasis and Thrombosis Participant, Waterville Valley, NH, 2012
Haemophilia Academy Scholarship and Travel Award, Edinburgh, Scotland, 2012
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Weill Cornell Medical College
Assistant Attending Physician
Assistant Professor of Medicine in Pediatrics
Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
John Chapin, M.D., is an Assistant Professor of Medicine at Weill Cornell Medical College and Assistant Attending Physician at the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital.
After graduating from Bates College, Dr. Chapin obtained his MD from the University of Vermont in 2007. He completed his residency at Montefiore Medical Center, he was accepted into a three-year fellowship program in Hematology/Oncology at Weill Cornell Medical College. He then accepted a faculty position at Weill Cornell with the non-malignant hematology service.
Dr. Chapin’s emphasis is treating adult patients with Thalassemia and Hemophilia. He also plays an invaluable role in the transition of adult patients being cared for by pediatric hematologists to adult hematology. He collaborates with Dr. Jeffrey Laurence and other researchers at WCMC to develop focused translational research in hemostasis, thrombosis, hemoglobinopathies, and complement disorders.
Dr. Chapin has received a number of awards, including a Haemophilia Academy Scholarship and Travel Award in 2012, a Hematology Fellow Research Consortium Travel Award in 2011, and a Barry Mishkin Award for Humanity, Ethics, and Excellence in the Practice of Medicine in 2010. He has multiple publications in peer reviewed journals including Blood, Haemophilia, Clinical and Applied Thrombosis and Hemostasis, and the British Journal of Haematology.