Specialties and Expertise
- Rheumatologic Dermatology
- Complex Medical Dermatology
- Skin Sign of Internal Disease
- Dermatologic Therapeutics
- Morgellons Disease
- Autoimmune Bullous Dermatosis
My passion throughout my career in dermatology has been to care for adult and pediatric patients with complex medical dermatology problems. My research and publications focus on dermatologic manifestations of internal medical diseases. I also care for patients with common dermatologic problems of skin, hair, nails, and mucous membranes.
Joseph L Jorizzo, M.D., is Professor, and Former and Founding Chair of the Dermatology Department at Wake Forest University and Professor of Dermatology at Weill Cornell Medical College. Dr. Jorizzo received his undergraduate medical degrees from Boston University's six-year A.B./M.D. Program and completed his internship in internal medicine, residency, and Chief Residency in Dermatology at North Carolina Memorial (UNC) Hospital. He also served as a fellow at St. John's Hospital Dermatology Institute in London. Dr. Jorizzo remains a Professor, Former and Founding Chair of the Dermatology Department at Wake Forest University.
Dr. Jorizzo has been on a myriad councils, committees, and advisory boards. He has participated on the editorial boards of the Archives of Dermatology, Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology, among others. He is a member of many professional societies, including the American Dermatologic Association Society of Investigative Dermatology, Dermatology Foundation, Women's Dermatology Association, and the American Academy of Dermatology, where he served as Vice President.
Dr. Jorizzo has co-edited several books, including Dermatological Signs of Internal Disease by Callen and Jorizzo, and Dermatology by Bolognia, Jorizzo, and Rapini for Elsevier. Additionally, he has authored and co-authored over 200 articles and abstracts, including chapters in major rheumatology and gastroenterology books. He has been the recipient of a number of national and international honors, including multiple America's Best Doctors listings. He has spoken at hundreds of dermatology meetings in the US and around the world.
To schedule an appointment, please call 646-962-9253.
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Professor of Clinical Dermatology - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.D., Boston University School of Medicine, 1975
- A.B., Boston University, 1972
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - PPO
- AETNA - Medicare
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- * Affinity Access
- * Affinity Health Plan
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - CHP
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care - PPO
- GHI - Pathway X
- Health First - Pathway X Enhanced
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - CBP
- * Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- * Medicare - Medicaid
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark - Liberty
- United Empire - Metro/Core/Charter
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare - Community Plan
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare Compass - Medicare Advantage
- * VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- * VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- * VNSNY CHOICE - Community Plan
- WellCare of NY
- WellCare of NY - Medicare