Jim Kim, M.D.
Jim Kim, M.D., is an Assistant Professor of Surgery (Transplantation Surgery) at Weill Cornell Medical College and an Assistant Attending Surgeon at NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center. He specializes in kidney, pancreas, and liver transplantation, laparoscopic donor nephrectomies, and minimally-invasive kidney transplantation. His clinical interests also include islet cell transplantation and dialysis access surgery.
Dr. Kim is actively involved in clinical research, and has received several research honors, including the Resident Research Award from the Association of Academic Surgeons and the Julia Burke Research Award. His research interests include allorecognition and mechanisms of rejection, and donor factors as it relates to transplant outcomes. He has been an invited lecturer, published in peer-reviewed journals, contributed to book chapters, and has given presentations at medical conferences. Dr. Kim is an active member of several prestigious medical societies, including the American Society of Transplant Surgeons and is an associate fellow in the American College of Surgeons.
Dr. Kim received his B.A. degree from the University of California at Berkley and his M.D. degree from Tulane University School of Medicine. He completed his internship and general surgery residency at the University of California, San Francisco, East Bay Program, while taking two years away from the residency to work in the UCSF Transplantation Laboratory.
He completed a Multi-organ Abdominal Transplantation Fellowship at the University of Wisconsin, Madison in June 2011. He was appointed as a Clinical Instructor in Surgery at the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine, Madison as well as working in the UW Organ Procurement Organization prior to joining NYP/Weill Cornell.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA [HMO]
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Fidelis Care
- GHI [CBP]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [CHP]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Health Republic
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [Medicare]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [HMO]
Honors and Awards
Association of Academic Surgeons, Resident Research Award, Academic Surgical Congress 2007
Julia Burke Research Award, Julia Burke Foundation, 2007
- Transplant Surgery
- Laparoscopic Living Donor Nephrectomy
- Transplantation of Kidney
- Living Donor Kidney Transplant
- Pancreas Transplant
- Liver Transplant
- Minimally Invasive Kidney Transplant Surgery
- Islet Cell Transplantation
- B.A., University of California, Berkeley, 1996
- M.D., Tulane University School of Medicine, 2002