James F. Gruden, M.D.
Specialties and Expertise
- Radiology - Diagnostic
- CT (Computerized Tomography)
- MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging)
- Heart Imaging
- Cardiac MRI
- Interstitial Lung Disease
- Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension
- Lung Disease
- CT Lung Screening
- Screening For Lung Cancer
James F. Gruden, M.D. is Chief of the Division of Body Imaging in the Department of Radiology at Weill Cornell Medical College and at the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital-Weill Cornell Campus. He is also Assistant Professor of Radiology at Weill Cornell Medical College and Assistant Attending Radiologist at the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital-Weill Cornell Campus.
Dr. Gruden attended the University of Notre Dame, in Notre Dame, Indiana and was awarded his B.A. in Economics and Pre-Professional Studies with Highest Honors in 1983. He was elected to Phi Beta Kappa upon graduation. Dr. Gruden earned his M.D. degree in 1987 from the University of Miami, School of Medicine. He was class Valedictorian and was inducted to the Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) medical honor society.
After an internship year in Internal Medicine at Cabrini Medical Center in NYC, Dr. Gruden completed residency training in Diagnostic Radiology (1988-1992) at the New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center. This was followed by a one-year Fellowship in Thoracic Imaging at the University of California-San Francisco (UCSF).
Dr. Gruden remained at UCSF after fellowship training and was appointed Assistant Professor of Radiology in Residence at UCSF and Chief of Thoracic Imaging at San Francisco General Hospital. He returned to NYC in late1995 and until January 2000, Dr. Gruden was Assistant Professor of Radiology at NYU School of Medicine.
In early 2000, he was appointed Associate Professor of Radiology and Internal Medicine at Emory University School of Medicine in Atlanta, Georgia. Dr. Gruden served as the Division Director of Cardiothoracic Imaging at Emory University Hospital and Clinic and founded Emory’s Biomedical Imaging and CT Post-Processing Lab, one of the first in the nation.
Dr. Gruden’s research, and clinical interests and activities led to collaborations and linkages with the Georgia Institute of Technology and his appointment as Adjunct Professor of Biomedical Engineering at Georgia Tech.
Before returning to Weill Cornell Medical College as a faculty member in January 2015, Dr. Gruden was at the Mayo Clinic Arizona in Phoenix-Scottsdale, Arizona for 10 years where he served as the Director of Cardiothoracic Imaging. While there, he initiated novel CT radiation dose reduction protocols that resulted in excellent image quality but a markedly reduced radiation dose.
Dr. Gruden has a strong background in efficient and patient-centered care and has always been actively involved in education and clinical research. He has published dozens of scientific papers and given hundreds of lectures to other radiologists world-wide.
Dr. Gruden’s clinical interest and expertise is in Cardiothoracic Imaging. He interprets CT, MRI, and radiographs of the lungs and heart. He achieved Board Certification in Diagnostic Radiology from the American Board of Radiology in 1992.
Dr. Gruden is a recognized expert in thoracic imaging. He has been a scientific manuscript reviewer for Radiology (1992-2003) and American Journal of Radiology (AJR) from 1992-2004 and has been on NIH study sections as grant reviewer as a member of Special Emphasis Panels. He also is involved with the Society of Thoracic Radiology (STR) and the American College of Radiology (ACR).
His research interests include imaging of interstitial lung disease, pulmonary arterial hypertension, smoking-related lung disease, lung cancer screening, new CT and MR applications, and radiation dose reduction.
Dr. Gruden is a member of the following professional societies:
- American College of Radiology (ACR)
- Society of Thoracic Radiology (STR)
- American Roentgen Ray Society (ARRS)
- Radiological Society of North America (RSNA)
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Attending Radiologist - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Professor of Clinical Radiology - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.D., University of Miami School of Medicine, 1987
- B.A., University of Notre Dame, 1983
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - PPO
- AETNA - Medicare
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- Amida Care
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care - Medicare
- United Health Care
- United Health Care - Community Plan
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- WellCare Health Plans