Julie B. Penzner, M.D.
Dr. Julie Penzner's interests include the evaluation and treatment of mood and psychotic disorders and the intersection of psychotherapy and psychopharmacology, particularly in the acute inpatient setting. She is an attending psychiatrist at New York-Presbyterian Hospital and an Assistant Clinical Professor of Psychiatry at Weill Cornell Medical College. She has particular expertise in working with patients and their families during times of crisis.
Dr. Penzner is a magna cum laude graduate of Harvard College. She completed her medical training at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine where she was elected to the Alpha Omega Alpha medical honor society and graduated with an MD with special distinction in research in psychiatry. She completed her psychiatric residency at New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Payne Whitney Clinic. During residency, she was selected as a Laughlin Fellow of the American College of Psychiatrists. She was co-chief resident in her final year of training. Prior to employment on the Cornell faculty, Dr. Penzner was Assistant Clinical Professor of Psychiatry at Columbia University and the Associate Director of Psychiatry in the Milstein Pavilion. She was selected as a Physician of the Year by the Columbia Department of Nursing in 2011.
1. Robinson LA, Penzner JB, Arkow SD, Kahn DA, Berman JA: Electroconvulsive Therapy for the Treatment of Refractory Mania. J Psychiatric Practice 2011;17(1): 61-66
2. Correll CU, Penzner JB, Lencz T, Auther A, Smith CW, Malhotra AK, Kane JM, Cornblatt BA: Early identification and high-risk strategies for bipolar disorder. Bipolar Disord 2007;9(4): 324-38
3. Penzner JB, Kelly K, Sacks MH: Clinical Case Conference: A Religious Conversion in a Psychiatric Patient. J Relig Health 2010;49(3): 351-60
4. Penzner JB, Dudas M, Olshanskiy V, Parikh UH, Chekuri R, Avedon J, Gadaletta D, Schenk EV, Malhotra AK, Kane JM, Correll CU: Lack of Effect of Stimulant Combination with Second-Generation Antipsychotics on Weight Gain, Metabolic Changes, Prolactin Levels and Sedation in Youth with Aggressive Spectrum Disorders. J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol 2009;19(5): 563-73
5. Correll CU, Penzner JB, Frederickson AM, Richter JJ, Auther AM, Smith CW, Kane JM, Cornblatt BA: Differentiation in the preonset phases of schizophrenia and mood disorders: evidence in support of a bipolar mania prodrome. Schizophr Bull 2007;33(3): 703-14
Honors and Awards
2011 Physician of the Year, New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia
2009 - 2011 Laughlin Fellow of the American College of Psychiatrists
2009 Payne Whitney Faculty Council Award for Excellence in Medical Student
Education, New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell
2009 Honorable Mention Prize in The New York County District Branch of the
American Psychiatric Association's Resident Research Competition
2006-2008 American Psychiatric Institute for Research and Education (APIRE)/Janssen
Resident Psychiatric Research Scholars Award
2005 Tenth Annual American Psychiatric Association (APA) Research Colloquium
for Junior Investigators Award
2004 Inducted into Alpha Omega Alpha medical honors society
- Bipolar Disorder
- Family Problems
- Relationship Problems
- M.D., Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University, 2005