Locations and Appointments
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
Clinical & Academic Positions
- Assistant Attending Obstetrician and Gynecologist - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Affiliate Assistant Professor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education & Training
- M.D., University of Miami School of Medicine, 1988
- M.B.S., Barry University, 1985
- B.S., University of Miami, 1981
The philosophy surrounding my practice is family-centered care. The patient is always right, yet to be an informed consumer they have a right to know where dangers might lie. All healthy women are entitled to be guided through a natural birth in a safe way and it is my job to help patients gather the knowledge they need to make decisions about their care.
I also am a strong advocate for midwives. Every healthy woman deserves to have midwifery care with help from a doctor when necessary.
Dr. Jacques Moritz was exposed to midwifery early in life; his mother was a midwife in Morocco and later supported women through childbirth in the United States. He still credits her with teaching him to “never cut an episiotomy,” which seemed irrelevant to him when he entered medical school at the University of Miami because he thought he would go into cardiology. However his first rotation in medical school was in obstetrics and it was the first birth he ever attended there that kept his attention on a future of providing healthcare to women.
He was awarded his M.D. at the University of Miami School of Medicine in 1988 and completed his residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology at Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center in 1992. He has been a member of the American Congress of Obstetricians & Gynecologists since 1992 and a board certified Ob/Gyn since 1994.
Prior to joining Weill Cornell Medicine in 2015 Dr. Moritz worked in many settings: from a private practice on Park Avenue, to teaching positions at Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, and St. Luke’s Roosevelt Hospital Center. While at St. Luke's Roosevelt he was the Director of Benign Gynecology, Director of Midwifery, and was present for the creation of their in-hospital Birth Center. He can also be found on-screen in the documentary “The Business of Being Born” and on-air as a medical reporter for ABC News.
He has worked with Dr. Jew and Dr. Lee since 1994. In 2006 midwife Sandra Woods joined his practice, which continued to evolve even after Sandra’s retirement to support a practice of five midwives today.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - PPO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - HMO
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Pathway X
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Pathway X Enhanced
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- GHI - CBP
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- * Medicaid
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care - Medicare
- United Health Care
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
Best Doctor of the Year OB/GYN, New York Magazine
2013 & 2014 Castle Connolly Top Doctors New York Metro Area
2013, 2014 & 2016 Honorary Police Surgeon, New York City Police Department
2010 My Best Birth Award
2008 Lamaze International, Elizabeth Bing NYC chapter, Outstanding Obstetrician
2007-2010 NYS Association of Licensed Midwives Honors; 2008 CREOG Teaching Award
2001 Teacher Recognition Award, Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons
Class of 2000 Certificate of Appreciation, Crime Victims Treatment Center
1998 Howard C. Taylor Award for Excellence in Teaching, Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center