Dr. Garrick Leonard practices general Obstetrics and Gynecology stressing patient education and involvement. He believes that each patient needs to understand her body and her healthcare choices.
Dr. Leonard has been on the full-time faculty at the Weill Medical College of Cornell University since completing his residency there in 1991. He was board certified in Obstetrics and Gynecology in 1993. Dr Leonard has provided care for many thousands of women and has delivered over five thousand babies.
"I believe that pregnancy is a natural if unique phase in a woman's life. My job is to assure that each pregnancy is proceeding normally and intervene if it is not. Many pregnancies are medically straightforward. Some, such as twins or triplets, may be complex from the outset. In others, problems such as high blood pressure or pre-term labor may develop. I am fortunate to practice at the Weill Cornell campus of the New York Presbyterian Hospital where the latest technologies and superbly trained specialists are only a few steps or a phone call away. I still find each pregnancy and delivery extraordinary and exciting.
"I chose to practice Ob/Gyn because I am able to care for women through the many stages of their reproductive lives. During my years of training and practice, I have developed several areas of special interest and expertise within gynecology. These include:
- Minimally invasive gynecologic surgery including laparoscopic hysterectomy
- Management and treatment (medical and surgical) of uterine fibroids
- Evaluation and treatment of abnormal PAP smears
Advances in pharmacology and surgical technology now offer multiple avenues for treatment of these and other gynecologic problems. I eduacte and work with my patients to help each one choose the most appropriate treatment path for her."
Specialties and Expertise
- General OB/GYN
- Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery
- Gynecologic Surgery
- Advanced Operative Hysteroscopy
- Uterine Fibroid
- Hysterectomy, Laparoscopic
- Pregnancy Care
Dr. Leonard was himself born in the old Lying-In wing of New York Hospital. He grew up in Manhattan, graduating from The Collegiate School as valedictorian. He graduated summa cum laude from Williams College (Religion and Classics) and then studied for two years at Emmanuel College, Cambridge University (Archaeology and Natural Sciences) as a Herschel Smith Fellow.
After a year of hospital work, Dr Leonard attended Harvard Medical School, serving on key student-faculty committees that initiated the case-based, more patient-oriented curriculum that is now standard at Harvard, Cornell and elsewhere. Returning to New York City, Dr Leonard completed his residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology at New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center.
Dr. Leonard has won many teaching awards. He serves as President of the NYH-Cornell Medical Center Independent Practice Association and on many other departmental committees.
Dr. Leonard lives in Brooklyn with his wife, their rescue Louisiana cur, a lettuce-loving tortoise and occasional visits from 3 grown children. In his (limited) free time, Dr. Leonard pursues his long-standing avocation, running, completing many NYC Marathons and coming in 2nd in his age group in 2009 (2:42.38).
- American Board of Obstetrics & Gynecology
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Assistant Professor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
- Assistant Attending Obstetrician and Gynecologist - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Education and Training
- M.D., Harvard Medical School, 1987
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee Managed Care Plan
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee PPO Plan
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Connection
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- GHI - CBP
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare Compass
- WorldWide Medical
Locations and Appointments
Relationships and collaborations with for-profit and not-for profit organizations are of vital importance to our faculty because these exchanges of scientific information foster innovation. As experts in their fields, WCM physicians and scientists are sought after by many organizations to consult and educate. WCM and its faculty make this information available to the public, thus creating a transparent environment.
No External Relationships Reported