You are here
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- AETNA [HMO]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus [CHP]
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Fidelis Care
- GHI [CBP]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Oxford Health Plans [Metro/Core/Charter]
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- United Empire
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [Medicare]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [HMO]
- M.D., State University of New York at Stony Brook, School of Medicine, 2008
- M.Sc., London School of Economics (United Kingdom), 2004
- B.A., Brown University, 2001
Honors and Awards
Marquis Who's Who in Medicine and Healthcare, 2015
Harvard Medical School Scholarship Recipient, 2014
Resident Research Contest, Second Place, Post-Graduate Assembly in Anesthesiology (PGA), 2011.
Resident Research Contest, Fourth Place, St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital Center, 2011
Ajou University International Health Grant, 2007
CAMS Scholarship, 2007
Assistant Attending Anesthesiologist
Assistant Professor of Clinical Anesthesiology
Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Franklin Chiao was born in New York and grew up in Westchester county. He is heading up the pediatric regional and pediatric pain management initiatives in the hospital. This includes the development of teaching modules, handouts and several quality improvement initiatives. He teaches internationally and is an instructor at the New York School of Regional Anesthesia Annual Symposium and Boutique Workshops. He prefers to use regional anesthesia for optimal pain management in his pediatric patients. One of his innovations involves the use of spinal anesthesia in infants which eliminates the need to intubate patients. In addition, he is able to perform sedation, particularly magnetic resonance imaging scans without the use of anesthesia gases or narcotics which some believe to have a role in neurotoxicity.
In addition to patient care, Dr. Chiao is actively involved in clinical research, and education. Currently, he is principle investigator for several studies. He has published recently about vascular access, ultrasound and infrared vein finding technology and regional anesthesia. Of note, he created and designed a CME course on Difficult Vascular Access. He also has presented over thirty abstracts and oral presentations internationally. He has received several clinical, patient safety, and research awards, and was given a scholarship from Harvard Medical School. He reviews papers for prestigious journals such as Pediatrics and has book chapters in press. Dr. Chiao has been interviewed and has published online podcasts.
He is board certified in Anesthesiology and passed the certification exam in Pediatric Anesthesiology. He earned his B.A. with Honors in Economics at Brown University. During medical school, he was elected National Treasurer of the American Medical Student Association, a position where he advocated for improving patient care nationally. After completing his residency and regional training at St. Luke’s Roosevelt-Columbia University, he completed his fellowship in Pediatric Anesthesia at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia-University of Pennsylvania. He currently has a leadership role in several national anesthesia committees.
Lastly, intertwined throughout his work as a physician is his passion for the economics of providing quality healthcare for patients. This stems from his academic and work experience in economics, finance and business administration. He earned a Masters at the London School of Economics and worked at JP Morgan before becoming a physician.
Dr. Chiao enjoys spending free time with his wife and family. He believes in the benefits of an athletic lifestyle. He has won tennis tournaments and is a horticulturist.