Locations and Appointments
- Spine Surgery
- Neurological Surgery
- Synovial Cyst
- Herniated Disc
- Degenerative Spine Disease
- Complex Spinal Surgery
- Prolapsed Cervical Intervertebral Disc
- Spinal Disease
- Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Spinal Fusions
- Minimally Invasive Cervical Spinal Surgery
- Spinal Fusion
- Spinal Stenosis
- Spinal Tumors
- Herniated Disc Surgery
- Surgery, Neurological
Clinical & Academic Positions
- Associate Attending Neurological Surgeon - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Associate Professor of Clinical Neurological Surgery - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education & Training
- M.D., State University of New York Health Science Center at Brooklyn, 1986
I am committed to providing state-of-the-art care to my patients using the most advanced minimal-access techniques available. I work with my patients to develop a personalized treatment plan. In general, I have a conservative approach to spinal problems and try to avoid surgery when possible. When surgery is necessary, my goal is to get patients back to their activities quickly without a prolonged recovery period. New procedures, new surgical approaches, and new technology can make spine surgery much less invasive than it once was and patients can have faster recovery times with excellent outcomes.
Eric Elowitz, MD, is a board-certified neurosurgeon specializing in minimally invasive spinal surgery. In January 2010, Dr. Elowitz joined the nationally recognized Department of Neurological Surgery at Weill Cornell Medical College, NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center. The US News and World Report: America's Best Hospitals survey for 2009-2010 has ranked NewYork-Presbyterian as having the #5 Neurology and Neurosurgery program in the nation, and the #1 program in New York. As a member of the Weill Cornell Spine Center, Dr. Elowitz continues to help advance the field of minimally invasive spinal surgery. His aim is always to assure state-of-the-art care with individual attention to each patient's unique needs.
DR. ELOWITZ SEES PATIENTS AT THE NEW WEILL CORNELL MEDICINE CENTER FOR COMPREHENSIVE SPINE CARE, LOCATED AT 240 EAST 59TH STREET, 2ND FLOOR.
Dr. Elowitz obtained his medical degree from SUNY Health Science Center at Brooklyn in 1986 and graduated with Summa Cum Laude honors. He received his neurosurgical training at SUNY Health Science Center in Brooklyn . He joined the Beth Israel Medical Center staff in 1993 and became Director of Neurosurgery at Beth Israel Medical Center in 2004. In 2010, Dr. Elowitz joined the faculty in the Department of Neurological Surgery at Weill Cornell Medical College, NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center.
Dr. Elowitz specializes in the minimally invasive treatment of degenerative spinal disease including herniated cervical and lumbar discs and spinal stenosis. He also has a clinical interest in surgery of spinal tumors. Dr. Elowitz has presented scientific papers at national neurosurgery meetings and in 1998 received the Young Investigator Award from the Section on Tumors of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons for his research on malignant gliomas.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
For more information about the Weill Cornell Medicine Center for Comprehensive Spine Care please visit https://comprehensivespine.weillcornell.org/
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
Young Investigator Award 1998
AANS/CNS Joint Section on Tumors
Summa Cum Laude - Doctor of Medicine 1986
State University of New York/Downstate
Alpha Omega Alpha 1984