Specialties and Expertise
- Pediatric Cardiac Surgeon
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Cardiac Surgery
- Congenital Heart Disease
- Congenital Heart Disorder
- Congenital Heart Disease In Adult
- Congenital Heart Failure
- Congenital Heart Block
- Adult Congenital Heart Disease
“My dedication to academic pediatric and congenital heart surgery is deeply rooted in my desire to advance the treatment of congenital heart disease and to make a difference in the lives of children and their families through compassionate patient care, innovative research and scholarship, and professional leadership. I believe in a family-centered team approach to the treatment of congenital heart disease. I am blessed to work with a multi-disciplinary team of national and international leaders to offer comprehensive care and the latest innovations for children requiring pediatric and congenital heart surgery.”
Dr. LaPar is a triple board certified Pediatric Cardiac Surgeon with specialized certification by the American Board of Thoracic Surgery for the practice of Pediatric and Congenital Cardiac surgery at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital. the Combined NYP Columbia Morgan Stanley Children's - Weill Cornell Congenital Heart Surgery Program. Dr. LaPar trained in pediatric heart surgery at Harvard Medical School and Boston Children's Hospital with additional fellowship training in Complex Pulmonary Artery Reconstructions and Unifocalization procedures at Stanford University. He has specialized expertise in the surgical repair of complex neonatal and infant congenital heart defects as well as in the full range of congenital heart disease that affects all children, adolescents and adults.
Recognized as a Super Doctors Rising Star in Cardiac Surgery, Dr. LaPar and his collaborators introduced and performed the first Ozaki aortic valve neocuspidization procedures at both NYP Columbia and Weill Cornell children's hospitals, and they performed the first pediatric minimally invasive Video Assisted Thoracoscopic Surgery (VATS) vascular ring repair at NYP.
Dr. LaPar serves as the Director of Pediatric and Congenital Cardiac Surgery Services at Weill Cornell NewYork-Presbyterian Komansky Children's Hospital as well as the Director of the Neonatal Cardiac Surgery and Complex Pulmonary Artery Reconstruction Programs at NYP NewYork-Presbyterian Columbia Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital of New York (CHONY).
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
- 2007: CU School of Medicine Class of 1955, 56, 57 Alumni Award for Outstanding Medical Student Performance, University of Colorado School of Medicine
- 2007: George Packard Award for Outstanding Medical Student Performance in Surgery, University of Colorado School of Medicine
- 2007: Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA), University of Colorado School of Medicine
- 2008: Society of Critical Care Medicine Abstract Research Award Finalist, 37th Critical Care Congress.
- 2008: William Dion Outstanding Intern Award, University of Virginia Department of Surgery
- 2010: Fellowship in Health Evaluation Sciences Fund Academic Scholarship, University of Virginia Department of Public Health Sciences.
- 2010: Paul C. Sampson Resident Research Award Finalist, Western Thoracic Surgical Association.
- 2011: Bigger-Lehman Resident Research Award, Virginia Surgical Society.
- 2011: 14th Annual C. Walton Lillehei Resident Forum Award 2011, 91st Annual Meeting of the American Association for Thoracic Surgery.
- 2012: Andy Ford Award for Excellence in Pediatric Cardiovascular Research, University of Virginia Department of Pediatrics.
- 2012: Academic Achievement Award for Scholastic Excellence and Application of Scientific Scholarship, University of Virginia Department of Surgery.
- 2012: Curtis G. Tribble Award for Excellence in Resident Teaching, University of Virginia Department of Surgery.
- 2013: Richard E. Clark Memorial Paper Award, 49th Annual Meeting of the Society of Thoracic Surgeons.
- 2013: Paul C. Sampson Resident Research Award Finalist, 39th Annual Meeting of the Western Thoracic Surgical Association.
- 2014: Hugh Shepherd Warren Outstanding Chief Resident Award. University of Virginia Department of Surgery.
- 2014: 2014 Hawley H. Seiler Resident’s Award for Best Research, Southern Thoracic Surgical Association (STSA).
- 2015: 2015 TSDA Benson R. Wilcox Resident Award for Best Research, Thoracic Surgery Directors Association, 51st Annual Meeting of the Society of Thoracic Surgeons.
- 2016: Richard E. Clark Memorial Paper Award. 52nd Annual Meeting of the Society of Thoracic Surgeons.
- 2019: Super Doctors Rising Star in Cardiac Surgery
- 2019: Thoracic Surgery Foundation Replogle Traveling Fellowship Recipient (Complex Pulmonary Artery Reconstruction Fellowship, Stanford Universtiy, Mentor: Frank Hanley, MD)
- Surgery, Thoracic
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Adjunct Assistant Professor of Clinical Cardiothoracic Surgery - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
- Assistant Professor of Surgery - Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
Education and Training
- M.Sc., University of Virginia, 2011
- M.D., University of Colorado School of Medicine, 2007
- B.A., University of Colorado, 2000
Insurance Plans Accepted
For relevant information regarding accepted insurances, please contact this provider directly.