Specialties and Expertise
- Blood Disorder
- Sickle Cell Disease
- Sickle Cell Disease With Crisis
I developed a love for non-malignant hematology and hemoglobinopathies during my medical training with some of the top and brilliant thinkers in the field of hematology and oncology. As a clinician, my focus is treating thalassemia and sickle cell disease patients. I enjoy taking care of patients with surprisingly complex hematologic conditions. My training and my priority has always been clinical care. My true passion is using my interpersonal skills of care and compassion to ensure each patient understands his or her diagnosis and he or she is my partner on the medical plan and journey to recovery. As a researcher, my goal is to focus on the pathology and treatment of vaso-occlusive crisis in sickle cell disease. I am excited to be joining the Department of Hematology at Weill Cornell and looking forward to conducting clinical investigations and bringing new clinical trials to a patient population in need of new treatments.
Cheryl Mensah, MD is an Assistant Professor of Medicine at Weil Cornell School of Medicine and Assistant Attending Physician at New York Presbyterian Hospital. Dr. Mensah is part of the Weil Cornell Hematology and Medical Oncology Non-Malignant Hematology Program. Dr. Mensah cares for patients with non-malignant hematologic diseases with a special interest in sickle cell disease and thalassemia.
Dr. Mensah received her undergraduate B.A. at Cornell University. Afterwards, she returned to Michigan to receive her M.D. at Wayne State University in Detroit, MI. She completed her internal medicine residency and hematology-oncology fellowship training at Northwell Health Zucker School of Medicine formerly Hofstra North Shore-Long Island Jewish School of Medicine.
During her training she won the Conquer Cancer Foundation of the American Society of Oncology Resident Travel Award. She was a member of the Long Island Jewish Sickle Cell Disease Task Force. This is a committee of hospitalists, primary care providers, and hematologists interested in improving the care of sickle cell disease patients at Long Island Jewish Hospital.
She is currently a member of the American Society of Hematology, American Federation of Medical Research, and the American College of Physicians-Internal Medicine.
- Internal Medicine
- Medical Oncology
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Assistant Attending Physician - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Assistant Professor of Medicine - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.D., Wayne State University School of Medicine, 2011
- B.A., Cornell University, 2005
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- Amida Care
- Emblem (HIP) Medicare Essential Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Connection
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Community Plan
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare Compass
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- WellCare of NY