Brendon Stiles, M.D.
Like all of my colleagues in the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, I have a patient-first philosophy. We consider it an honor and a privilege to take care of patients. That is my primary responsibility. While performing that duty I do my best to advance the field of medicine, Thoracic Surgery in particular, through research and teaching.
Dr. Stiles attended undergraduate and medical school at the University of Virginia. He also completed his General Surgery Residency at UVA where he received several prestigious awards for clinical and teaching excellence, as well as for basic science research.During his residency, Dr. Stiles spent two years in New York City completing a Surgical Oncology Research Fellowship at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. He investigated novel therapies for lung and esophageal cancer.& Following General Surgery training and board certification, Dr. Stiles completed his Cardiothoracic Surgery Residency at New York Presbyterian Hospital, earning the "Distinguished Housestaff Award" from the Weill Cornell Medical Center Alumni Council. Dr. Stiles also completed six months of training in Thoracic Surgery at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. Following completion of his training and board certification, Dr. Stiles was recruited to stay on at New York-Presbyterian Hospital, Weill Cornell Medical College.& Dr. Stiles performs all aspects of General Thoracic surgery, but has a particular interest in lung and esophageal cancer.& He commits part of his time to basic science research in an effort to better understand and treat these malignancies. He currently resides in New York City with his family.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA [HMO]
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Fidelis Care
- GHI [CBP]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [CHP]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Health Republic
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [Medicare]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [HMO]
1. Rodeheaver GT, Beltran KA, Green CW, Faulkner BC, Stiles BM, Stanimir GW, Traeland H, Fried GM, Brown HC, Edlich RF. Biomechanical and clinical performance of a new synthetic monofilament absorbable suture. J Long Term Eff Med Implants. 1996;6(3-4):181-98.
2. Woods JA, Stiles BM, Wright HR, Morgan RF, Edlich RF. Accidental hypothermia: a potential life-threatening hazard of automobile platform lifts. J Emerg Med. 1997 Jan-Feb;15(1):45-8
3. Wright HR, Drake DB, Gear AJ, Stiles BM, Edlich RF. Refractory Raynaud's phenomenon in scleroderma: an indication for surgery. Am J Emerg Med. 1997 May;15(3):328-30.
4. Stiles BM, Drake DB, Gear AJ, Watkins FH, Edlich RF. Stiles BM, Drake DB, Gear AJ, Watkins FH, Edlich RF. Metacarpophalangeal joint dislocation: indications for open surgical reduction. J Emerg Med. 1997 Sep-Oct;15(5):669-71.
5. Stiles BM, Wilson WH, Bridges MA, Choudhury A, Rivera-Arias J, Nguyen DB, Edlich RF. Denture esophageal impaction refractory to endoscopic removal in a psychiatric patient. J Emerg Med. 2000 Apr;18(3):323-6.
6. Stiles BM, Isaacs RB, Daniel TM, Jones DR. Role of surgery in Rhodococcus equi pulmonary infection. J Infect. 2002 Jul;45(1):59-61.
7. Adusumilli PS, Stiles BM. Obesity epidemic in the West: warning signs in the East. Natl Med J India. 2003 Mar-Apr;16(2):110-1.
8. Jones DR, Stiles BM, Denlinger CE, Antippa P, Daniel TM. Pulmonary segmentectomy: results and complications. Ann Thorac Surg 2003 Aug;76(2):343-8,discussion 348-9.
9. Stiles BM, Bhargava A, Adusumilli PS, Stanziale SF, Kim TH, Rusch VW, Fong Y. The replication-competent oncolytic herpes simplex mutant virus NV1066 is effective in the treatment of esophageal cancer. Surgery. 2003 Aug;134(2):357-64.
10. Adusumilli PS, Chan M, Ben-Porat L, Stiles BM, Fong Y. Basic science research publications in general surgical journals: are they obsolete? J Surg Res. 2003 Oct;114(2):258-9.
11. Wong RJ, Chan MK, Yu Z, Kim TH, Bhargava A, Stiles BM, Horsburgh BC, Shah JP, Ghossein RA, Singh B, Fong Y. Effective intravenous therapy of murine pulmonary metastases with an oncolytic herpes virus expressing interleukin 12. Clin Cancer Res. 2004 Jan1;10:251-9.
12. Wong RJ. Chan MK. Yu Z. Ghossein RA. Ngai I. Adusumilli PS. Stiles BM, Shah JP. Singh B. Fong Y. Angiogenesis inhibition by an oncolytic herpes virus expressing interleukin 12. Clin Cancer Res. 2004 Jul1;10(13):4509-16.
13. Stanziale SF, Stiles BM, Bhargava A, Kerns SA, Kalakonda N, Fong Y. Oncolytic herpes simplex virus-1 mutant expressing green fluorescent protein can detect and treat peritoneal cancer. Hum Gene Ther. 2004 15(6):609-18.
14. Adusumilli PS, Stiles BM, Chan MK, Chou TC, Wong RJ, Rusch VW, Fong Y. Radiation therapy potentiates effective oncolytic viral therapy in the treatment of lung cancer. Ann Thorac Surg. 2005 Aug; 80(2):409-16.
15. Adusumilli PS, Chan MK, Ben-Porat L, Mullerad M, Stiles BM, Tuorto S, Fong Y. Citation characteristics of basic science research publications in general surgical journals. J Surg. Res. 2005 Oct;128(2):168-73. Epub 2005 Aug 11
16. Stiles BM, Adusumilli PS, Bhargava A, Stanziale SF, Kim TH, Chan MK, Huq R, Wong R, Rusch VW, Fong Y. Minimally-invasive localization of oncolytic herpes simplex viral therapy of micrometastatic pleural cancer. Cancer Gene Ther. 2006 13(1):53-64.
17. Adusumilli PS, Eisenberg DP, Stiles BM, Hendershott KJ, Stanziale SF, Chan MK, Hezel M, Huq R, Rusch VW, Fong Y. Virally-directed fluorescent imaging (VFI) can facilitate endoscopic staging. Surg Endosc. 2006 20(4):628-35.
18. Adusumilli PS, Stiles BM, Chan MK, Eisenberg MD, Yu Z, Stanziale SF, Huq R, Wong RJ, Rusch VW, Fong Y. Real-time diagnostic imaging of tumors and metastases by use of a replication-competent herpes vector to facilitate minimally invasive oncological surgery. FASEB J. 2006 Apr;20(6):726-8. Epub 2006 Feb 8.
19. Adusumilli PS, Stiles BM, Chan MK, Mullerad MD, Eisenberg MD, Ben-Porat L, Huq R, Rusch VW, Fong Y. Imaging and therapy of malignant pleural mesothelioma using replication-competent herpes simplex viruses. J Gene Med. 2006 8(5):603-15.
20. Stiles BM, Adusumilli PS, Bhargava A, Stanziale SF, Kim T, Fong Y. Estrogen enhances efficacy of an oncolytic HSV-1 mutant in the treatment of estrogen receptor- positive breast cancer. Int J Oncol. 2006 Jun;28(6):1429-39.
21. Stiles BM, Adusumilli PS, Bhargava A, Fong Y. Fluorescent cholangiography in a mouse model: an innovative method for improved laparoscopic identification of the biliary anatomy. Surg Endosc. 2006 Aug; 20(8):1291-5. Epub 2006 Jul 20.
22. Stiles BM, Altes TA, Jones DR, Shen KR, Ailawadi G, Gay SB, Olazagasti J, Rehm PK
Daniel TM. Clinical experience with radiotracer-guided thoracoscopic biopsy of small, indeterminate lung nodules. Ann Thorac Surg. 2006 Oct;82(4):1191-6 discussion 1196-7 .
Intraoperative localization of lymph node metastases with a replication-competent herpes
simplex virus. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2006 Nov; 132(5):1179-88.
24. Adusumilli PS, Chan MK, Hezel M, Yu Z, Stiles BM, Chou TC, Rusch VW, Fong Y. Radiation-induced cellular DNA damage repair response enhances viral gene therapy efficacy in the treatment of malignant pleural mesothelioma. Ann Surg Oncol. 2007 Jan;14(1):258-69. Epub 2006 Nov 1.
25. Stiles BM, Reece TB, Hedrick TL, Garwood RA, Hughes MG, Dubose JJ, Adams RB,
Schirmer BD, Sanfey HA, Sawyer RA. General surgery morning report: a
competency-based conference that enhances patient care and resident education.
Curr Surg. 2006 Nov-Dec; 63(6):385-90.
26. Reece TB, Tribble CG, Smith RL, Singh RR, Stiles BM, Peeler BB, Kern JA, Kron IL.
Central cannulation is safe in acute aortic dissection repair. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg.
2007 Feb;133(2):428-34. Epub 2006 Dec 29.
27. Derubertis BG, Stiles BM, Bhargava A, Gusani MJ, Hezel M, D'Angelica M, Fong Y.
Cytokine-secreting herpes viral mutants effectively treat tumor in a murine metastatic
colorectal liver model by oncolytic and T-cell-dependent mechanisms. Cancer Gene Ther
2007 Jun;14(6):590-7. Epub 2007 Apr 13.
28. Reece TB, Singh RR, Stiles BM, Peeler BB, Kern JA, Tribble CG, Kron IL. Replacement
of the proximal aorta adds no further risk to aortic valve procedures. Ann Thorac Surg
2007 Aug;84(2):473-8; discussion 478.
29. Sanfey H, Stiles BM, Hedrick T, Sawyer RG. Morning report: combining education with
patient handover. Surgeon. 2008 Apr;6(2):94-100.
30. Altorki NK, Zhou XK, Stiles B, Port JL, Paul S, Lee PC, Mazumdar M. Total number of resected lymph nodes predicts survival in esophageal cancer. Ann Surg. 2008 Aug; 248(2):221-6.
31. Stiles BM, Servais EL, Lee PC, Port JL, Paul S, Meherally D, Altorki NK. Point: Clinical stage IA non-small cell lung cancer determined by computed tomography and positron emission tomography is frequently not pathologic IA non-small cell lung cancer: the problem of understaging. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2009 Jan;137(1):13-9.
32. Paul S, Lee PC, Altorki NK, Stiles BM, Port JL. Partial upper sternotomy for anterosuperior mediastinal surgery: an institutional experience. Ann Surg Oncol. 2009 Apr;16(4):1039-42. Epub 2009.
33. Leverich A, Johnston C, Stiles B, Girardi L, Hartman G, Skubas NJ. Cabrol composite graft for aortic root replacement: echocardiographic imaging. Anesth Analg. 2009 Apr;108(4):1107-9.
34. Paul S, Altorki NK, Stiles BM, Port JL, Lee PC. Images in cardiothoracic surgery. A case of severe heartburn. Ann Thorac Surg. 2009 Jun;87(6):1959.
35. Paul S, Altorki NK, Port JL, Stiles BM, Lee PC. Surgical management of chylothorax. Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2009 Jun;57(4):226-8. Epub 2009 May 20
36. Lee PC, Port JL, Paul S, Stiles BM, Altorki NK. Predictors of long-term survival after resection of esophageal carcinoma with nonregional nodal metastases. Ann Thorac Surg. 2009 Jul; 88(1):186-92.
37. Lee BE, Port JL, Stiles BM, Saunders J, Paul S, Lee PC, Altorki N. TNM stage is the most important determinant of survival in metachronous lung cancer. Ann Thorac Surg. 2009 Oct;88(4):1100-5.
38. Stiles BM, Christos P, Port JL, Lee PC, Paul S, Saunders J, Altorki NK. Predictors of survival in patients with persistent nodal metastases after preoperative chemotherapy for esophageal cancer. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2010 Feb;139(2):387-94. Epub 2009 Dec 16.
39. Paul S, Altorki NK, Sheng S, Lee PC, Harpole DH, Onaitis MW, Stiles BM, Port JL, D'Amico TA. Thoracoscopic lobectomy is associated with lower morbidity than open lobectomy: a propensity-matched analysis from the STS database. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2010 Feb;139(2):366-78.
40. Mirza F, Paul S, Stiles BM, Piotti KC, Kawaguchi KR, Altorki NK. Adult onset asthma. Ann Thorac Surg. 2010 Aug;90(2):e31.
41. Yao Z, Fenoglio S, Gao DC, Camiolo M, Stiles B, Lindsted T, Schlederer M, Johns C, Altorki N, Mittal V, Kenner L, Sordella R. TGF-beta IL-6 axis mediates selective and adaptive mechanisms of resistance to molecular targeted therapy in lung cancer. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010 Aug 31;107(35):15535-40. Epub 2010 Aug 16
42. Paul S, Mirza F, Port JL, Lee PC, Stiles BM, Kansler AL, Altorki NK Survival of patients with clinical stage IIIA non-small cell lung cancer after induction therapy: Age, mediastinal downstaging, and extent of pulmonary resection as independent predictors.
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2011 Jan;141(1): 48-58. Epub 2010 Nov 18.
43. Stiles BM, Mirza F, Port JL, Lee PC, Paul S, Christos P, Altorki NK Predictors of cervical and recurrent laryngeal lymph node metastases from esophageal cancer. Ann Thorac Surg. 2010 Dec;90(6):1805-11; discussion 1811
44. Stiles BM. Invited commentary. Ann Thorac Surg. 2011 Feb;91(2):379.
45. Lee PC, Mirza FM, Port JL, Stiles BM, Paul S, Christos P, Altorki NK Predictors of recurrence and disease-free survival in patients with completely resected esophageal carcinoma. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2011 May;141(5):1196-206. Epub 2011 Mar 12
46. Stiles BM. Invited Commentary Ann Thorac Surg. 2011 Apr;91(4):1037-8..
47. Altorki NK, Christos P, Port JL, Lee PC, Mirza F, Spinelli C, Keresztes R, Beneck D, Paul S, Stiles BM, Zhang Y, Schrump DS .Preoperative Taxane-Based Chemotherapy and Celecoxib for Carcinoma of the Esophagus and Gastroesophageal Junction: Results of a Phase 2 Trial. J Thorac Oncol. 2011 Jun;6(6):1121-1127.
48. Stiles BM, Mirza F, Coppolino A, Port JL, Lee PC, Paul S, Altorki NK. Clinical T2-T3N0M0 Esophageal Cancer: The Risk of Node Positive Disease. Ann Thorac Surg. 2011 Aug;92(2): 491-6; discussion 496-8. Epub 2011 Jun 24.
49. Paul S, Mirza FM, Nasar A, Port JL, Lee PC, Stiles BM, Nguyen AB, Sedrakyan A, Altorki NK. Prevalence, outcomes, and a risk-benefit analysis of diaphragmatic hernia admissions: An examination of the National Inpatient Sample database. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2011 Oct;142(4):747-54. Epub 2011 Jul 30
50. Port JL, Mirza FM, Lee PC, Paul S, Stiles BM, Altorki NK. Lobectomy in Octogenarians With Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: Ramifications of Increasing Life Expectancy and the Benefits of Minimally Invasive Surgery. Ann Thorac Surg. 2011 Dec;92(6):1951-7. Epub 2011 Oct 7.
51. Stiles BM, Mirza F, Towe CW, Ho VP, Port JL, Lee PC, Paul S, Yankelevitz D, Altorki NK. Cumulative Radiation Dose From Medical Imaging Procedures in Patients Undergoing Resection for Lung Cancer Ann Thorac Surg. 2011 Oct;92(4):1170-9. Epub 2011 Jul 13
52. Stiles BM, Altorki NK. Screening for lung cancer: challenges for the thoracic surgeon. Surg Oncol Clin N Am. 2011 Oct;20(4):619-35.
53. Song TJ, Haddad D, Adusumilli P, Kim T, Stiles B, Hezel M, Socci ND, Gönen M, Fong Y. Molecular network pathways and functional analysis of tumor signatures associated with development of resistance to viral gene therapy. Cancer Gene Ther. 2011 Oct 21. doi: 10.1038/cgt.2011.64. [Epub ahead of print]
54. Gao D, Joshi N, Choi H, Ryu S, Hahn M, Catena R, Sadik H, Argani P, Wagner P, Vahdat LT, Port JL, Stiles B, Sukumar S, Altorki NK, Rafii S, Mittal V. Myeloid Progenitor Cells in the Premetastatic Lung Promote Metastases by Inducing Mesenchymal to Epithelial Transition. Cancer Res. 2012 Mar 15;72(6):1384-94. Epub 2012 Jan 26
55. Stiles BM. Invited commentary. Ann Thorac Surg. 2012 Feb;93(2):472.
56. Paul S, Nasar A, Port JL, Lee PC, Stiles BC, Nguyen AB, Altorki NK, Sedrakyan A. Comparative Analysis of Diaphragmatic Hernia Repair Outcomes Using the Nationwide Inpatient Sample Database. Arch Surg. 2012 Mar 19. [Epub ahead of print]
57. Stiles BM, Nasar A, Mirza FA, Lee PC, Paul S, Port JL, Altorki NK. Worldwide Oesophageal Cancer Collaboration guidelines for lymphadenectomy predict survival following neoadjuvant therapy. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2012 Apr 4. [Epub ahead of print]
Honors and Awards
Thoracic Surgery Foundation for Research and Education, Research Grant 2010
University of Virginia John Horsley Memorial Prize (given for excellence in basic science research to current or former Surgical House Staff) 2006
University of Virginia Research Day: Second Prize 2006, First Prize 2005
Third place, Marvin R. Dunn Poster Session, ACGME Annual Meeting 2006
The Chairman's Award for Excellence in Basic Science Research (Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center) 2003
Trainee Travel Award, American Society for Clinical Investigation 2003
T-32 Training Grant (CA09501) 2001-2003
James Earnest Kindred Award (Given by the graduating medical school class to one member of the University of Virginia House Staff whom the students feel has "displayed the greatest enthusiasm for teaching students" 2005 and 2007
All-University Teaching Award, University of Virginia 2006
Dean's Award for Resident Teaching, University of Virginia 2006
Distinguished House Staff Award, for all-around excellence, Weill Cornell Medical Center Alumni Council 2007
Humanism and Excellence in Teaching Award, University of Virginia 2006
Consultant of the Year Award, University of Virginia, (presented by the Emergency) 2004
Bill Dion Memorial Award, University of Virginia, (Outstanding Surgical Intern) 2000
- Thoracic Surgery
- Lung Cancer
- Esophageal Surgery
- Minimal Access Surgery-GERD
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Pulmonary Nodules
- Surgery, Thoracic
- M.D., University of Virginia School of Medicine, 1999