Barbara L. Milrod, M.D.
Personal StatementComing soon!
- Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- Adult Psychiatry
- Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- Women's Psychiatry
- General Psychiatry
- Anxiety Disorder
- Mood and Anxiety Disorders
- Women's Mental Health
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- M.D., Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, 1984
Honors and Awards
5/07 Matthew Silvan Research/Clinical Scholar Award for distinguished research by the New York Psychoanalytic Institute
7/07 Psychoanalytic Research Exceptional Contribution Award given by the International Psychoanalytic Association at Berlin, Germany
1/09 APsaA Scientific Paper Prize awarded by the American Psychoanalytic Association for the best scientific paper in psychoanalysis for the year 2007
1/09 APsA Stuart Hauser Award for best poster of 2009 for poster "Symptom-specific reflective function, presented at the APsA midwinter meetings, NYC
10/09 The Stanton Distinguished Lectureship, McLean Hospital, Belmont, MA
10/10 Alex Kaplan Memorial Lectureship, Washington University of Medicine, St. Louis, MO
1/13 NYPSI's Leon Kupferstein Memorial Award for Innovation In Psychoanalysis
2/13 The Samuel Ritvo Lectureship at Yale University Child study Center
Professor of Psychiatry
Weill Cornell Medical College
Barbara L. Milrod, MD is an expert in psychotherapeutic treatment of patients with anxiety disorders, particularly in the areas of panic disorder and conversion disorder, both in adults and children.
After receiving her medical degree from the Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons, Dr. Milrod completed her residency in General Psychiatry and a fellowship in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry at The Payne Whitney Clinic in Manhattan. For the next 6 years, she held positions as an Instructor and Associate Professor of Psychiatry at Mount Sinai School of Medicine, and received her psychoanalytic training at the New York Psychoanalytic Institute. She is currently on the faculty of both the New York Psychoanalytic Institute, and the Columbia Center for Psychoanalytic Training and Research. She joined the Weill Cornell Medical College in 1996 as an Assistant Professor and was promoted in 2007 to Professor of Psychiatry. She also maintains a private practice specializing in panic disorder and agoraphobia, with expertise in anxiety and mood disorders for adults and children. She has published numerous articles and books (see Publications) and has received many awards (see Awards) for her contributions in the area of psychoanalytic psychotherapy of anxiety and somatiform disorders.
To schedule an appointment:
Call - (212) 746-5868.
Ongoing Research Support
- 2/00-Present: New York Community Trust/Reader’s Digest grant for pilot adolescent psychodynamic psychotherapy for panic disorder study
- 7/06-6/11 "Dynamic therapy vs. CBT for Panic Disorder" NIMH R01 MH 070918-01A2
- 3/09-2/10 Milrod,B, Shapiro,T: Outcome study of psychoanalytic psychotherapy for anxious children and adolescents. Grant from International Psychoanalytic Association
- 1/09-1/11 Shapiro,T, Milrod,B: Outcome study of psychoanalytic psychotherapy for anxious children and adolescents. Awarded by the American Psychoanalytic Association's Fund for Psychoanalytic Research
Completed Research Support
- 1/05-1/06 Milrod,B (P.I.): Award from the Department of Psychiatry, Weill Medical College "Psychodynamic Psychotherapy for Adolescents with Panic Disorder" an open clinical trial
- 2/00-1/05 Milrod,B. (P.I.) NIMH 5K 23 MH1849-01-05 Psychodynamic psychotherapy for panic disorder- a randomized controlled trial
- 6/01-6/03 Rudden,M (P.I.) American Psychoanalytic Association Fund for Psychoanalytic Research "Reflective Function in Panic Focused Psychodynamic Psychotherapy and ART"
- 1/97-1/99 Milrod, B., P.I. The Fund for Psychoanalytic Research, sponsored by The American Psychoanalytic Association for an open pilot study of Panic-Focused Psychodynamic Psychotherapy.
- 6/99-5/01 Busch,F, (P.I.): The Fund for Psychoanalytic Research, sponsored by The American Psychoanalytic Association for a Process/outcome study on the videotape data from the below open trial outcome study of PFPP for panic disorder.
- 1/99-1/01 Milrod, B., P.I.: The Fund for Psychoanalytic Research, sponsored by The American Psychoanalytic Association for an open pilot study of Panic-Focused Psychodynamic Psychotherapy (Renewal)