Anthony Tortolani, M.D.
The commitment of the department to continued research and educational endeavors allows the faculty to provide excellent patient care and maintain our position at the forefront in efficiency and in providing the highest in quality cardiac surgical care.
- Surgery, Thoracic
- Surgery, Thoracic Cardiovascular
- Heart Surgery
- Cardiac Surgery
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Heart Failure
- Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery
- Cardiac Valve Surgery
- Thoracic/Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Coronary Artery Bypass
- Valve Reconstruction/Repair
- Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery (Off Pump)
- Valve Replacement
- Bloodless Surgery
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- AETNA [HMO]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus [CHP]
- Fidelis Care
- GHI [CBP]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Oxford Health Plans [Metro/Core/Charter]
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- United Health Care
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [HMO]
- M.D., George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences, 1969
Honors and Awards
Top Doctors: New York Metro Area, Castle Connolly Medical Ltd. – 1st Edition through 15th Edition
America's Top Doctors, Castle Connolly Medical Ltd. – 11th Edition – 2012
New York Super Doctors, 2008 - 2011
Professor of Clinical Cardiothoracic Surgery
Weill Cornell Medical College
Professor of Clinical Surgery
Weill Cornell Medical College
Attending Cardiothoracic Surgeon
Dr. Anthony J. Tortolani is the Professor of Clinical Cardiothoracic Surgery and Professor of Clinical Surgery at The NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, Weill Cornell Medical College.
He also serves Weill Cornell Medical College as Chairman of the Departments of Cardiothoracic Surgery and Surgery at New York Methodist Hospital. He is a leading cardiothoracic surgeon with extensive practice in the surgical treatment of diseases affecting the heart and chest cavity including coronary bypass surgery and valvular heart surgery.
A graduate of Fordham University and George Washington University School of Medicine, he completed a general surgery residency at the then Weill Cornell Medical College affiliation, North Shore University Hospital and served in the United States Air Force as a Major. He completed a Fellowship in Cardiothoracic Surgery at New York University Medical Center. Returning to Weill Cornell Medical College, he joined the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery in 1997 at The NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital. In 2004, he started the Weill Cornell Program at New York Methodist Hospital.
Dr. Tortolani has been active in Cardiothoracic Research for over 20 years and has published extensively since 1966. Additionally, he has been a principal investigator of several grants from the National Institute of Health, Heart and Vascular Diseases Division and The Association for Surgical Education. He is past President of the New York Society of Thoracic Surgery, past President of the Brooklyn and Long Island Chapter of the American College of Surgeons and has served as a Governor of the American College of Surgeons.
Upon completing his fellowship at New York University Medical Center, he joined the faculty of North Shore University Hospital/Cornell University Medical College as the Chief of the Division of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery in 1978. In 1988, he was selected by G. Thomas Shires, M.D. to serve as Chairman of the Department of Surgery at North Shore University Hospital/Cornell University Medical College and for the North Shore Health System and served as Chairman of the Medical Board.
From 1999 to 2001, he was Professor of Surgery at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine and Director of Cardiothoracic Surgery at the Jack D. Weiler Hospital resuming his position at Weill Cornell Medical College in 2001. In October 2000, he was selected by the American College of Surgeons to serve on the Committee on Surgical Education in Medical Schools; and, was a member of the Committee on Admissions for Cornell University Medical College as well as the Tri-Institutional MD/PHD Committee on Admissions for Cornell University Medical College and was Faculty Coordinator for the Clinical Anatomy Dissection and Imaging Course given by the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery and the Director of Quality Assurance and Compliance for the Cornell Cardiothoracic Surgery Network.
Dr. Tortolani is listed as a Castle Connolly Top Doctor in the 11th Edition of Americas Top Doctors and has been in the 1st through the 15th Editions of Top Doctors: New York Metro Area.
Dr. Tortolani resides with his wife Katherine in Manhattan and also maintains residence in Cape Cod and Maryland. He has two children, Julia Sue Tortolani and Paul Justin Tortolani, M.D.