Specialties and Expertise
It was during my work in Central Africa that I came in contact with an oncologist from Uganda. His dedication and incessant desire to do more for cancer patients is what motivated me to become an oncologist.
In the last 15 years, there have been exciting discoveries in the diagnosis and treatment of many cancers. Every day I hear a new development. This has not only improved survival of cancer patients but has also improved their quality of life.
I always like to listen to patients. I feel that they lay their trust in me and my abilities, and I reciprocate by giving them confidence that I will try to alleviate their complaints and suffering. This kind of relationship with my patients gives me a greater responsibility, which is the force that drives me to do more for them and their loved ones.
Arvind Kamthan, MD, obtained his MBBS at Sawai Man Singh Medical College in Jaipur, India, in 1976 and his MD in 1980. He was Registrar in Medicine at Ndola Central Hospital in Zambia from 1981-1984, then resident at the Hospital of Newcastle upon Tyne, Leeds, Hull and Leigh, UK, until 1988. Dr. Kamthan served as Clinical Fellow in Medical Oncology at Christie Hospital, Manchester University, UK, in 1988 and joined Mt. Sinai Medical Center in 1990 as Clinical Fellow in Neoplastic Diseases in Medical Oncology. From 1993-1997, he was Assistant Professor in the Division of Hematology/Oncology at West Virginia University.
Dr. Kamthan moved back to New York in 1998 and has since been in active practice in hematology and medical oncology. Prior to joining Weill Cornell Medicine and NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, Dr. Kamthan worked as a medical oncologist in the Greater Hudson Valley Health System, covering their two campuses, Orange Regional Medical Center in Orange County, Middleton, NY, and Catskill Regional Medical Center in Sullivan County, Harris, NY.
Dr. Kamthan's research has been published in the European Journal of Cancer, Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology, the Archives of Internal Medicine, and the Journal of Clinical Oncology.
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) Travel Award, 1992
- Selected as a top doctor (oncologist) in Hudson Valley, NY, every year from 2010-2019
- Internal Medicine
- Medical Oncology
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Assistant Attending Physician - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.D., Sawai Man Singh Medical College, Rajasthan University (India), 1980
- M.B.,B.S., Sawai Man Singh Medical College, Rajasthan University (India), 1976
- B.Sc., Pandit Prithi Nath College (India), 1970
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- AgeWell New York
- Amida Care
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Community Plan
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare Compass
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- WellCare of NY