Anna-Maria Demetriades, M.D., Ph.D.
Personal StatementComing soon!
- Glaucoma Surgery
- Cataract Surgery
- Laser Iridotomy
- Laser Trabeculoplasty
- Argon Laser Iridoplasty
- Ocular Hypertension
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- AETNA [HMO]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Fidelis Care
- GHI [CBP]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [CHP]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Health Republic
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [HMO]
- Ph.D., Oxford University (United Kingdom), 2012
- B.A., Oxford University (United Kingdom), 1997
- B.M.,B.Ch., Oxford University Medical School (United Kingdom), 2000
- M.A., Oxford University (United Kingdom), 2002
Honors and Awards
Research to Prevent Blindness Career Development Award, 2014
BrightFocus Foundation National Glaucoma Research Grant, 2013
National Institutes of Health / National Eye Institute Research Grant (1R1EY022848), 2012
Fight for Sight Grant-In-Aid, 2012
American Glaucoma Society Mentoring for Advancement of Physician Scientists Award, 2011
Arnall J. Patz Research Award, Wilmer Eye Institute, Johns Hopkins, 2008
W.Richard Green House Staff Teaching Award, Johns Hopkins, 2007
Michael P. Grant Research Award, Wilmer Eye Institute, Johns Hopkins, 2007
Peter J. McDonnell Research Award, Wilmer Eye Institute, Johns Hopkins, 2006
Association for Research in Vision & Ophthalmology Travel Grant Award, 2003
Morton F. Goldberg Research Award, Wilmer Eye Institute, Johns Hopkins, 2003
American Diabetes Association Trans-Atlantic Research Fellowship Award, 2002
British Medical Association Johns William Clark Award, 2001
Knights Templar Eye Foundation, Inc. Research Grant, 2001
Assistant Attending Ophthalmologist
Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology
Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Dr. Demetriades is an Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology at Weill Cornell Medical College and a member of the Weill Cornell Eye Associates. She is a fellowship-trained glaucoma specialist and her expertise encompasses the medical and surgical management of glaucoma.
After graduating from Oxford University Medical School, England, Dr. Demetriades completed her residency at the Wilmer Eye Institute, Johns Hopkins Hospital, and her glaucoma fellowship at the Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, University of Miami. The Wilmer Eye Institute and the Bascom Palmer Eye Institute are recognized as the leading ophthalmology departments in the United States.
While at Johns Hopkins, Dr. Demetriades completed a research fellowship focusing on the role of gene therapy in the treatment of ocular neovascularization, targeting diseases such as age-related macular degeneration and diabetic retinopathy. She received research grant awards, published her scientific work in peer-reviewed journals, and presented at international meetings. During her residency at The Wilmer Eye Institute, she received the House Staff Teaching Award for her contribution to medical student education.
Dr. Demetriades keeps up to date on the latest innovations in glaucoma treatment from around the world and her laboratory is focused on developing novel treatment technologies. Her team is currently exploring new methods to delay and prevent progression of glaucoma. As a physician-scientist, her ultimate goal is to help patients manage their disease and maintain vision throughout their lives.
Dr. Demetriades is currently accepting new patients. Appointments can be made by calling 646-962-2020, or by visiting http://www.weillcornelleye.org/.