Thomas Andrew Sos, M.D.
Dr. Thomas A. Sos, Professor of Radiology at Weill Cornell Medical College, is a specialist in Interventional Radiology. He attended Queens College and earned his medical degree from the Harvard Medical School. He then completed his radiology residency and his fellowship in cardiovascular and interventional radiology at The NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital-Weill Cornell Medical Center. He is currently Professor of Radiology at Weill Cornell Medical College and Attending Radiologist at NewYork-Presbyterian-Weill Cornell. Dr. Sos’s early scientific contributions were related largely to cardiac and coronary angiography. Once angioplasty was introduced, Dr. Sos became a leader in percutaneous renal and below-knee angioplasty.
Dr. Sos is widely regarded as one of the world’s top authorities in both renal angioplasty and stenting. Dr. Sos is a pioneer in his field and has designed numerous devices for interventional radiology, including the first micro-catheter, the “Sos Open-Ended Guidewire” (Bard, Inc), the first shaped embolization coil, a small vessel PTA catheter, and selective and flush catheters.
Dr. Sos served as President of SIR (Society of Interventional Radiology)/SCVIR from 1986-1987 during the society’s early expansion – an expansion strongly advocated by Dr. Sos. He was instrumental in opening up the Society from a small group of mostly academic interventional radiologists to a much larger, more diverse group that welcomed all individuals who practiced interventional radiology. In addition to clinical care and research, Dr. Sos spent much of his career training and teaching fellows, many of whom are now major contributors to the field of interventional radiology in their own right.
- To schedule an Interventional Radiology appointment, please contact the registrar at 212-746-2771.
- To speak to Interventional Radiology doctors, please call 212-746-2600 or 212-746-1866.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please feel free to contact this physician or this physician's practice as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
- AETNA [Medicare]
- AETNA [HMO]
- AETNA [PPO]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Health Plan
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Fidelis Care
- GHI [CBP]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Medicare [Medicare]
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- United Empire
- United Health Care
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
1. Bloch MJ, Trost DW, Sos TA.
Type B aortic dissection complicating renal artery angioplasty and stent placement. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2001 Apr;12(4):517-20.
2. Kandarpa K, Becker GJ, Hunink MG, McNamara TO, Rundback JH, Trost DW,
Sos TA, Poplausky MR, Semba CP, Landow WJ. Transcatheter interventions for the treatment of peripheral atherosclerotic lesions: part I. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2001 Jun;12(6):683-95.
3. Mann SJ, Sos TA. Treatment of atheroembolization with corticosteroids.
Am J Hypertens. 2001 Aug;14(8 Pt 1):831-4.
4. Block MJ, Trost DA, Whitner J, Pickering TG, Sos TA, August P. Ostial renal artery stent placement in patients 75 years of age or older. Am J Hypertens. 2001 Oct; 14(10):983-8
5. Stein PD, Fowler SE, Goodman LR, Gottschalk A, Hales CH, Hull RD, Leeper KW, Popovich J, Quinn DA, Sos TA,
Sostman HD, Tapson VF, Wakefield TW, Weg JG, Woodard PK, for the PIOPED II Investigators. Multidetector spiral CT for acute pulmonary embolism: results of the PIOPED II trial. Accepted for publication, NEJM (2006
- Vascular and Interventional Radiology
- Interventional Radiology
- Aneurysm Endovascular Surgery
- Arterial Blockage
- Arteriovenous Malformation (AVM)
- Carotid Artery Disease
- Endograft Aneurysm Repair
- Interventional Vascular
- Vascular Disease
- Peripheral Angiography
- Poor Circulation
- Arterial Stenting
- Diagnostic Angiography
- Coil Embolization
- Poor Leg Circulation
- Limb Preservation/ Salvage
- Renal Artery Stent Placement
- Renal Artery Angioplasty
- Peripheral Vascular Surgery
- Peripheral Angioplasty
- Peripheral Arterial Surgery
- Peripheral Vascular Disease
Contact and Practices
- Vascular and Interventional Radiology
- Diagnostic Radiology
- M.D., Harvard Medical School, 1968