Samuel J. Lang, D.V.M., M.D.
Samuel Lang, M.D. returns to New York Hospital Queens after serving 10 years as the section chief of Cardiothoracic Surgery at St. Vincent’s Catholic Medical Center in Manhattan. He was an attending surgeon in both adult and pediatric cardiac surgery at New York Hospital from 1986 until 1999, and served as New York Hospital Queens’ first director of Cardiothoracic Surgery from 1996 to 1999. Dr. Lang has a strong track record for performing complex cardiac procedures including off pump coronary artery bypass surgery, minimally invasive valve repairs, aneurysm repairs, and repair of congenital heart defects.
Samuel Lang, M.D., returns to New York Hospital Queens after serving 10 years as section chief of cardiothoracic surgery at St. Vincent Catholic Medical Center in Manhattan.
He served as New York Hospital Queens' first director of cardiothoracic surgery from 1996 to 1999.
Dr. Lang has a strong track record for performing procedures such as multiple artery bypass, repair of valves, congenital heart defects and surgical ablation of cardiac arrhythmias.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please feel free to contact this physician or this physician's practice as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
- AETNA [HMO]
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Fidelis Care
- GHI [CBP]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [CHP]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Health Republic
- Local 1199 [Union]
- Medicare [Medicare]
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- United Health Care
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [HMO]
1. Lang SJ, Gewirtz HS, Baker JD: Suprarenal aortic aneurysm managed by excision and primary repair using a lateral suture technique. J Cardiovasc Surg 1985; 26 (6): 595-7.
2. Lang SJ, Mulder DG: Thromboembolic obstruction of the pulmonary artery treated by endarterectomy. Ann Thor Surg 1986; 41 (5): 557-9.
3. Boltwood CM Jr, Skulsky A, Drinkwater DC Jr, Lang S, Mulder DG, Shah PM: Intraoperative measurement of pericardial constraint: role in ventricular diastolic mechanics. J Am Coll Cardiol 1986; 8 (6): 1289-97.
4. Lang SJ, Mulder DGL: Congenital esophagobronchial fistula in an adult. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1987; 94 (5): 788-90.
5. Francis KR, Lee HS, Steinberg HD, Lang SJ, Pizzi WF: Right heart bullet embolus: a model for management - case report. Vasc Surg 1991; 5 (5): 412-16.
6. Zullo MA, Wallerson DC, Lang S: Formation and spontaneous closure of an aeteriovenous fistula after transvenous pacemaker placement. Chest 1991; 100 (2): 572-5.
7. Engle MA, Lang SJ, Edelson P: Endocarditis with aneurysm involving an aortic homograft used to correct truncus arteriousus: medical-surgical salvage. Br Heart J 1992; 7 (5): 409-11.
8. Ko W, Gold JP, Lazzaro R, Zelano JA, Lang S, Isom OW, Krieger KH: Survival analysis of octogenarian patients with coronary artery disease managed by elective coronary artery bypass surgery versus conventional medical treatment. Circulation 1992; 86 (5 supp): II 191-97.
9. Gold JP, Violaris K, Engle MA, Klein AA, Ehlers KH, Lang SJ, Levin AR, Moran F, O’Loughlin JE, Snyder MS, Fatica N, Notterman DS, Isom OW: A five year experience with one hundred- twelve Blalock Taussig shunts. J Card Surg 1993; 8 (1): 9-17.
10. Rosengart TK, Krieger K, Lang SJ, Gold JP, Altorki N, Roussel M, Debois WJ, Isom OW: Reoperative coronary artery bypass surgery: improved preservation of myocardial function with retrograde cardioplegia. Circulation 1993; 88 (5): II 330-35.
11. Lang SJ, Giordano MS, Cardon-Cardo C, Summers BD, Staiano-Coico L, Hajjar DP:Biochemical and cellular characterization of cardiac valve tissue after cryopreservation or antibiotic preservation. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1994; 108 (1): 63-7.
12. Ramaswamy P, Friedman DM, Lang S: Images in cardiovascular medicine: noninvasive diagnosis of cor triatriatum. Circulation 1995; 92 (4): 1058-9.
13. Velasco FT, Ko W, Rosengart T, Altorki N, Lang S, Gold JP, Krieger KH, Isom OW: Cost containment in cardiac surgery: results with a critical pathway for coronary artery bypass surgery at The New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center. Best Practices and Benchmarking in Healthcare 1996; 1 (1): 21-8.
14. Gilbert HM, Peters ED, Lang SJ, Hartman BJ: Successful treatment of fungal prosthetic valve endocarditis: case repot and review. Clin Infect Dis 1996; 22 (2): 348-54.
15. Helm RE, Klemperer JD, Rosengart TK, Gold JP, Peterson P, Debois W, Altorki NK, Lang S, Thomas S, Isom OW, Krieger KH: Intraoperative autologous blood donation preserves red cell mass but does not increase post operative bleeding. Ann Thor Surg 1996; 62 (5): 1431-41.
16. Munshi IA, Barie PS, Hawes AS, Lang SJ, Fischer E: Diagnosis and management of acute aortic valvular disruption secondary to rapid-deceleration trauma. J Trauma 1996;
41 (6): 1047-50.
17. Rosengart TK, Lang S, Helm R, Friedman D: Open heart surgery in the pediatric Jehovah’s Witness population: no longer “ Russian roulette” (letter). Pediatric Cardiology 1997; 18 (3): 245-6.
18. Klemperer JD, Ko W, Krieger KH, Connolly M, Rosengart TK, Altorki NK, Lang S, Isom OW, Cardiac Operations in patients with cirrhosis. Ann Thor Surg 1998; 65 (1): 85-7.
19. Helm RE, Rosengart TK, Gomez M, Klemperer JD, Debois WJ, Velasco F, Gold JP, Altorki NK, Lang S, Thomas S, Isom OW, Krieger KH: Comprehensive multimodality blood conservation: 100 consecutive CABG operations without transfusion. Ann Thor Surg 1998; 65 (1): 125-36.
20. Klemperer JD, Ko W, Krieger KH, Connolly M, Rosengart TK, Altorki NK, Lang S, Isom OW: Cardiac Operations in patients with cirrhosis. Ann Thor Surg 1998; 65 (1): 85-7.
21. Rosengart TK, Debois W, O’Hara M, Helm R, Gomez M, Lang SJ, Altorki N, Ko W, Hartman GS, Isom OW, Krieger KH: Retrograde autologous priming for cardiopulmonary bypass: a safe and effective means of decreasing hemodilution and transfusion requirements. J Thoaraci Cardiovasc Surg 1998; 115 (2): 426-38
22. Rosengart TK, O’Hara M, Lang SJ, Ko W, Altorki N, Krieger KH, Isom OW: Outcome of 245 CarboMedics and St. Jude valves implanted at the same institution. Ann Thorac Surg 1998; 66 (5) 1684-91.
23. Rosengart TK, Finnin EB, Kim DY, Samy SA, Tanhehco Y, Ko W, Lang SJ, Krieger KH, and Isom OW: Open Heart Surgery in the Elderly: Results from a Consecutive Series of 100 Patients 85 Years or Older. Ann Jnl Medicine 2002; 112: 143-47.
1. Rosengart T, Lang SJ: Valvular Heart Disease. In Bari P, and Shires GT (ed) Surgical Intensive Care. Boston: Little, Brown & Co., 1993.
2. Lang SJ: Reoperative Strategies for the Bleeding Patient. In Isom OW, and Krieger KH (ed) Blood Transfusion and Conservation in Cardiac Surgery. New York: Springer-Verlag, 1997.
1. Boltwood CM, Skulsky A, Lang S, Mulder DG, Shah PM: Elevated pericardial pressure in absence of effusion. Circulation. 1984; 70 (supp): II-315. Abstract.
2. Lang SJ, Hefton JM, Hajjar DP, Giordano MS, Pagan-Charry I, Cordon-Gardo C: A characterization of human cardiac valve tiddue: crypreservation vs. “fresh” antibiotic storage. The IV International Symposium on Cardiac Bioprosthesis, San Diego CA 1988. Abstract.
3. Gold JP, Violaris K, Engle MA, Klein AA, Ehlers KH, Levin AR, O’Loughlin JE, Snyder MS, Fatica N, Notterman D, Lang S, Isom OW: A five year clinical experience with one hundred eleven Blalock Taussig shunts. The New York Society for Thoracic Surgery, New York NY 90. Abstract.
4. Steinberg C, Notterman DA, Gold JP, Lang SJ: Deep Hypothermic Circulatory Arrest in infants is associated with delayed heart rate deceleration. Am Acad Pediatr-Crit Care Symposium, October 1990. Abstract.
5. Rosengart T, Krieger K, Gold JP, Lang S, Altorki N, Isom OW: Retrograde cardioplegia improves the results of reoperative coronary artery bypass surgery. Circulation. 1992; 86 (supp): I-438.
6. Ko W, Gold JP, Lazzaro R, Zelano JA, Lang S, Isom OW, Krieger KH: Survival analysis of octogenarian patients with coronary artery disease managed by elective coronary artery bypass versus conventional medical treatment. AHA 1992. Abstract.
7. Rosengart TK, Debois W, Helm B, Gomez M, Lang SJ, Altorki NA, Gold JP, Isom OW, Krieger KH: Retrograde autograde autologous priming (RAP) for cardiopulmonary bypass: a safe and effective means of decreasing hemodilution and transfusion requirements. AHA November 1995. Abstract.
- Thoracic Surgery
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Heart Surgery
- Aortic Aneurysm Surgery
- Adult Congenital Heart Disease
- Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery (Off Pump)
- Aortic Aneurysm
- Congenital Heart Disease
- Cardiac Valve Surgery
Contact and Practices
- Surgery, Thoracic
- D.V.M., Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine, 1974
- M.D., University of Alabama School of Medicine, 1978