Shakil Ahmed, M.B., B.S.
Dr. Ahmed works actively with the Jay Monahan Center to develop pain treatment strategies for gastrointestinal malignancies including pancreatic cancer, stomach and colorectal cancer. He has a special interest in developing a comprehensive cancer pain program in collaboration with his oncology colleagues. He has co-authored several publications, including book chapters on cancer pain and regional anesthesia techniques.
In addition to cancer pain, Dr. Ahmed has clinical expertise in chronic back pain, acute pain, neuropathic pain, post-herpetic neuralgia, phantom limb pain, pelvic pain, headaches, post-laminectomy pain syndrome, and chronic pain from degenerative joint diseases. He is expert at performing diagnostic and therapeutic spinal injections, discography, percutaneous discectomy, vertebroplasty, cryotherapy, implantation of spinal cord stimulators and intrathecal pumps, and pulsed and thermal radiofrequency neurolysis.
Dr. Ahmed specializes in the management of cancer pain, as well as chronic and acute non-cancer pain. Dr. Ahmed believes in providing comprehensive care for his patients. Integral to his practice is the pursuit of cutting edge pain techniques including spinal cord stimulation, radiofrequency neurolysis, intrathecal pain therapies, percutaneous disc decompression, and non-invasive laser therapy. Dr. Ahmed is actively involved in medical research and is the principal investigator in research collaboration for the advancement of state-of-the-art pain technologies. He has co-authored several publications on cancer pain and regional anesthesia techniques and is actively involved in the fellowship training program, resident training, grand rounds and case conferences. He has been invited by The American-Austrian Foundation as a visiting professor, to teach pain medicine to physicians from eastern European countries. Dr. Ahmed has performed charity work as a medical officer for the International Rescue Committee for Afghan refugees displaced by the Russian invasion of Afghanistan.
Dr. Ahmed began his medical career as a surgeon before specializing in Anesthesiology. He joined the faculty of Weill Cornell Medical College as a Pain Medicine physician in the Anesthesiology Department in 2002. He began his New York Presbyterian Hospital training as a burn fellow. He then went on to complete his residency in anesthesiology at the New York Presbyterian Hospital at Columbia University in 2001, finishing his Pain Medicine Fellowship at the Weill Cornell campus in 2002. Dr. Ahmed received his MBBS from Khyber Medical College, Peshawar, Pakistan in 1981. He completed his surgical training in the UK, where he was awarded Fellowship of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA [HMO]
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Fidelis Care
- GHI [CBP]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [CHP]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Health Republic
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [Medicare]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [HMO]
- Pain Management
- Interventional Pain Management
- Pain Medicine
- Radiofrequency Catheters
- Chronic Pain Management
- Chronic Pain
- Cancer Pain Management
- Anesthesia - Regional
- Neuropathic Pain
- Spinal Cord Stimulator
- Spinal Cord Stimulator Implants
- Spinal Injections
- Pain Medicine
- M.B.,B.S., Khyber Medical College (Pakistan), 1981