Sarju Patel, M.D.
While performing a full range of comprehensive services, my sub-specialization is in ocular inflammatory disease (uveitis). This area is unique to ophthalmology in that it requires a complete review of one's health, personalized therapy, and close monitoring. As such, I have a very close relationship with my patients, as we become partners in the process of discussing and choosing therapies. This individualized approach is applied to all my patients. While your chief complaint will be of the utmost importance, I will always strive to be complete and ensure the entire ocular system is in good health.
Dr. Sarju Patel is a board-certified ophthalmologist with two years of additional training in ocular immunology and inflammatory diseases at the Illinois Eye and Ear Infirmary under Dr. Debra Goldstein. He currently serves as the Director of the Uveitis and Ocular Inflammation Service at NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center.
Dr. Patel graduated with honors from Brown University. He then received graduate training in research sciences at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine in London, England. He proceeded to the Mount Sinai School of Medicine, graduating with a distinction in research. He completed a Doris Duke Charitable Foundation Research Fellowship and was conferred the Harold B. Lamport Biomedical Research Award.
After completing a preliminary internal medicine internship at St-Lukes-Roosevelt Hospital in Manhattan, he completed his ophthalmology residency at New York University, followed by fellowship at the Illinois Eye and Ear Infirmary. There, he received the Cless Family Foundation Award for outstanding fellow in clinical and academic ophthalmology.
He has authored papers and textbook chapters and routinely presents at national meetings. He is proud to be an active member of the American Uveitis Society. Dr. Patel is also listed as a uveitis specialist by The Ocular Immunology and Uveitis Foundation. Dr. Patel currently serves as a consultant for the Knowledge Base Panel for Uveitis of the American Academy of Ophthalmology.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please feel free to contact this physician or this physician's practice as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
- AETNA [HMO]
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Health Plan
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Fidelis Care
- GHI [CBP]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- United Empire
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- Acute Iritis
- Chronic Iritis
- Pars Planitis
- Uveitis Due to Secondary Syphilis
- Leptospiral Uveitis
- Granulomatous Uveitis
- Brucellosis Uveitis
- Infective Uveitis
- Intermediate Uveitis
- Uveitis-Rheumatoid Arthritis Syndrome
- Anterior Uveitis In Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis
- Anterior Uveitis
- Chronic Uveitis
- Posterior Uveitis
- Family History of Uveitis
Contact and Practices
- B.A., Brown University, 1999
- M.Sc., London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (United Kingdom), 2001
- M.D., M.P.H., Mount Sinai School of Medicine, 2006