Richard K. Lee, M.D.
Dr. Lee completed his undergraduate degree at Duke University (Durham, NC), and then moved to the University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA) to complete both his MD and his MBA. He then moved to New York and began working at Weill Cornell Medical College/New York-Presbyterian Hospital, specifically within the Department of Urology, while completing both his residency rotation and a fellowship.
Dr. Lee was appointed to a full-time faculty position within the Department of Urology in July 2011 after completing his fellowship. He currently practices within the Iris Cantor Men's Health Center, which is located at 425 E 61st St, 12th floor.
While completing his residency at Weill Cornell Medical College, Dr. Lee was awarded the Society for Male Reproduction and Urology (SMRU) Traveling Scholar Award (2006), the Society for the Study of Male Reproduction (SSMR) Men’s Health Traveling Fellowship (2007), the Empire Clinical Research Investigator Program Grant (2007), the New York Weill Cornell Medical Center Alumni Council Distinguished Housestaff Award (2008), and the Doctors of the World Health and Human Rights Leadership Award (2008).
Dr. Lee is an active participant in translational research and is currently involved in several protocols as either primary or co-investigator that includes NIH, non-profit foundation, and industry support. He takes part in the peer review process of other’s research as a journal reviewer for European Urology, Journal of Urology, British Journal of Urology International, and Advances in Urology.
His current research interests include BPH, male and female pelvic health, female urology, incontinence, pelvic organ prolapse, health outcomes, cost effectiveness analysis, pelvic reconstruction, bioengineering, and nanoparticle therapy.
Dr. Lee's office is located within the Iris Cantor Men's Health Center at 425 E. 61st Street. You may contact the office with questions or to make an appointment at 646-962-4811.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please feel free to contact this physician or this physician's practice as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
- AETNA [HMO]
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Fidelis Care
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [CHP]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Medicare [Medicare]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [Medicare]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [HMO]
Articles in professional peer-reviewed journals
1. Lee R, Clement MR, Carr MC, Canning DA, Brayman KL. Successful treatment of encrusted cystitis and pyelitis with preservation of renal graft. Transplantation. 2004 Jul 27;78(2):302-3.
2. Lee R, Al-ahmadie HA, Boorjian SA, González RR, Badillo C, Badillo F, Reuter VE, Steckel J. A case of incidental adrenocortical oncocytoma. Nat Clin Pract Urol. 2006 Nov;3(11):618-21.
3. Lee R, González RR, Te AE. The evolution of photoselective vaporization prostatectomy (PVP): advancing the surgical treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia. World J Urol. 2006 Sep;24(4):405-9.
4. Lee R, Localio AR, Armstrong K, Malkowicz SB, Schwartz JS. A meta-analysis of the performance characteristics of the free PSA test. Urology. 2006 Apr;67(4):762-8. Epub
2006 Apr 5.
5. Lee RK, Li PS, Goldstein M. Simultaneous vasectomy and varicocelectomy: indications and technique. Urology. 2007 Aug;70(2):362-5.
6. Lee R, Saini R, Kaplan SA, Te AE. A review of transurethral microwave thermotherapy (TUMT). AUA Update August 2007.
7. Guzzo TJ, Levin BM, Lee R, Guo M, Chen Z, Whittington R, Tomaszewski J, Malkowicz SB. Relationship of biochemical outcome to percentage of positive biopsies in men with clinically localized prostate cancer treated with permanent interstitial brachytherapy. Urology. 2008 Apr;71(4):723-7.
8. Lee R, Saini R, Zoltan S, Te AE. Photoselective vaporization of the prostate using a laser high performance system in the canine model. J Urol. 2008 Oct;180(4):1551-3. Epub 2008 Aug 16.
9. Lee R, Li PS, Schlegel PN, Goldstein M. Reassessing reconstruction in the management of obstructive azoospermia: reconstruction or sperm acquisition? Urol Clin North Am. 2008 May;35(2):289-301, x. Review.
10. Lee R, Li PS, Goldstein M, Tanrikut C, Schattman G, Schlegel PN. A decision analysis of treatments for obstructive azoospermia. Hum Reprod. 2008 Sep;23(9):2043-9. Epub 2008 Jun 13.
11. Lee R, Ullery BW, Ehrlich J, Soares M, Razzano RA, Herman MP, Callahan MA, Li PS, Schlegel PN, Goldstein M. Value of serum antisperm antibodies in diagnosing obstructive azoospermia. J Urol. 2009 Jan;181(1):264-9. Epub 2008 Nov 14.
12. Lee R, Li PS, Goldstein M, Schattman G, Schlegel PN. A decision analysis of treatments for nonobstructive azoospermia associated with varicocele. Fertil Steril. 2009 Jul;92(1):188-96. Epub 2008 Aug 15.
13. Lee R, Te AE, Kaplan SA, Sandhu JS. Adoption of and indications for the artificial urinary sphincter over time in the United States. J Urol. 2009 Jun;181(6):2622-7. Epub 2009 Apr 16.
14. Cheng Y, Peng YF, Liu YD, Tian L, Lu NQ, Su XJ, Yan ZJ, Hu JS, Lee R, Kim H, Sokal D, Li PS. A recommendable standard protocol of adult male circumcision with the Chinese Shang Ring: outcomes of 328 cases in China. Zhonghua Nan Ke Xue. 2009 Jul;15(7):584-92.
15. Li PS, Lu NQ, Cheng Y, Peng YF, Tian L, Liu YD, Ben KL, Xu JC, Lee R, Kim H, Sokal D. The need for high quality training and surgical standards for adult male circumcision in China. Zhonghua Nan Ke Xue. 2009 May;15(5):390-4.
16. Te AE and Lee R. Holmium laser enucleation of the prostate: an evolving prostatectomy technique. J Urol. 2010 Aug;184(2):641-2.
17. Peng Y, Masson P, Li PS, Chang Y, Tian L, Lee R, Kim H, Sokal DC, Goldstein M. No needle local anesthesia for adult male circumcision. J Urol. 2010 Sep;184(3):978-83.
18. Chung DE, Lee R, Kaplan S, Te AE. Concordance of near infrared spectroscopy (NIRS) pressure flow studies in men with lower urinary tract symptoms. J Urol. 2010 Dec;184(6):2434-9. Epub 2010 Oct 16.
19. Barbieri CE, Lotan Y, Lee RK, Sonpavde G, Karakiewicz PI, Robinson B, Scherr DS, Shariat SF. Tissue-based molecular markers for bladder cancer. Minerva Urol Nefrol. 2010 Sep;62(3):241-58.
20. Sheth S, Lee R, Ng C, Melamed S, Chung D, Kaplan SA, Te AE. New pharmacological approaches to lower urinary tract symptoms attributed to benign prostatic hyperplasia. AUA
Update December 2010.
21. Hsiao W, Sultan, Lee RK, Goldstein M. Increased FSH is associated with a higher utilization of assisted reproduction after vasectomy reversal. J Urol. 2011 Jun;185(6):2266-71. Epub 2011 Apr 17.
22. Sonpavde G, Khan MM, Svatek RS, Lee R, Novara G, Tilki D, Lerner SP, Amiel GE, Skinner E, Karakiewicz, Bastian PJ, Kassouf W, Fritsche HM, Izawa JI, Scherr DS, Ficarra V, Dinney CP, Lotan Y, Fradet Y, Shariat SF. Prognostic riskstratification of pathologic stage T3N0 bladder cancer following radical cystectomy. J Urol. 2011 Apr;185(4):1216-21. Epub 2011 Feb 22.
23. Sonpavde G, Khan MM, Svatek RS, Lee R, Novara G, Tilki D, Lerner SP, Amiel GE, Skinner E, Karakiewicz, Bastian PJ, Kassouf W, Fritsche HM, Izawa JI, Ficarra V, Dinney CP, Lotan Y, Fradet Y, Shariat SF. Prognostic riskstratification of T2N0 urothelial carcinoma of the bladder following radical cystectomy. BJU Int. 2010 Nov 19. doi: 10.1111/j.1464-410X.2010.09902.x. [Epub ahead of print]
24. Lee R, Ng CK, Borkina A, Guimento R, Brumit KF, Scherr DS. The economics of robotic cystectomy: cost comparison of open versus robotic cystectomy. BJU Int. 2011 Apr 18. doi: 10.1111/j.1464-410X.2011.10114.x. [Epub ahead of print]
25. Shariat SF, Savage C, Chromecki T, Sun M, Scherr DS, Lee RK, Lughezzani G, Remzi M, Marberger M, Karakiewcz PI, Vickers AJ. Assessing the clinical benefit of NMP22 in the surveillance of patients with non–muscle-invasive bladder cancer and negative cytology: a decision-curve
analysis. Cancer. 2011 Jan 10. [Epub ahead of print]
26. Grober S, Srivastava A, Lee R, Tewari AK, Te AE. Role of inflammation in bladder function. Accepted to Int Urol Rev.
27. Rink M, Chun FKH, Robinson B, Sun M, Karakiewicz PI, Bensalah K, Scherr D, Lee RK, Margulis V, Shariat SF. Tissue-based molecular markers for renal cell carcinoma. Accepted to Minerva Urol Nefrol.
28. Chromecki TF, Ehdaie B, Novara G, Pummer K, Zigeuner R, Seitz C, Pycha A, Lee RK, Cha EK, Karakiewicz PI, Ng C, Raman JD, Chun FK, Fritsche HM, Matsumoto K, Kassouf W, Walton TJ, Bastian PJ, Martínez-Salamanca JI, Scherr DS, Shariat SF. Chronological age is not an independent
predictor of clinical outcomes after radical nephroureterectomy. World J Urol. 2011 Apr 17. [Epub ahead of print]
29. Ehdaie B, Chromecki TF, Lee RK, Lotan Y, Magulis V, Karakiewicz PI, Novara G, Raman JD, Ng CK, Lowrance WT, Scherr DS, Shariat SF. Obesity adversely impacts disease specific outcomes in patients with upper tract urothelial carcinoma. J Urol. 2011 May 13. [Epub ahead of print]
30. Tanrikut C, Goldstein M, Rosoff JS, Lee RK, Nelson CJ, Mulhall JP. Varicocele as a risk factor for androgen deficiency and effect of repair. BJU Int. 2011 Mar 24. doi: 10.1111/j.1464-410X.2010.10030.x. [Epub ahead of print]
31. Barone MA, Ndede F, Li PS, Masson P, Awori Q, Okech J, Cherutich P, Muraguri N, Perchal P, Lee R, Kim HH, Goldstein M. The Shang Ring device for adult male circumcision: a proof of concept study in Kenya. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2011 Feb 21. [Epub ahead of print]
Books, book chapters and reviews.
1. Chughtai B, Laudano M, Lee R, Te AE. 532nm wavelength high power transurethral laser prostatectomy. Smith's General Urology, 19th Edition. Ed. Tanagho EA and McAnich JW. New York: Lange Medical Books/McGraw-Hill, Medical Publishing Division; in press.
2. Lee R, Li PS, Schlegel PS. Cost effectiveness of male infertility treatments. Surgery of Male Infertility, Second Edition. Ed. Goldstein M and Schlegel PN. New York: Cambridge University Press; in press.
3. Saini R, Lee R, Te AE. Complications of minimally invasive procedures for benign prostatic hyperplasia. Complications of Urologic Surgery, Fourth Edition. Ed. Taneja S. Philadelphia: Saunders Elsevier; October 2009.
4.Lee R, Sandhu J, Te AE. Laser prostatectomy. Smith's Textbook of Endourology, Second Edition. Eds. Smith AD, Badlani GH, Bagley DH, Clayman RV, Docimo SG. St. Louis: BC Decker, Inc; September 2006.
5. Gonzalez RR, Lee R, Sandhu J, Te AE. Laser prostatectomy. Atlas of the Prostate, Third Edition. Eds. Scardino PT and Slawin KM. Philadelphia: Current Medicine, Inc.; December 2005.
Honors and Awards
* Society for Male Reproduction and Urology (SMRU) Traveling Scholar Award
* Society for the Study of Male Reproduction (SSMR) Men's Health Traveling
* Empire Clinical Research Investigator Program Grant 2007
* New York Weill Cornell Medical Center Alumni Council Distinguished
Housestaff Award 2008
* Doctors of the World Health and Human Rights Leadership Award 2008
- Pelvic Prolapse
- Laser Urology
- Pelvic Floor Reconstruction
- Robotic Surgery
- Prostate Cancer
- Minimally Invasive Urology
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Laser Surgery
- Neurogenic Bladder
- Urinary Incontinence
- BPH (Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia)
- Voiding Dysfunction
Contact and Practices
- B.S., Duke University, 1998
- M.B.A., Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, 2003
- M.D., University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 2003