Rekha B. Kumar, M.D., M.S.
Dr. Rekha B. Kumar currently serves as an Assistant Professor of Medicine and Attending Endocrinologist at the Weill Cornell Medical College and specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of various Endocrinology disorders, including obesity/weight management, thyroid disorders (hypo- and hyperthyroidism, thyroid disease in pregnancy), as well as metabolic bone disease (osteoporosis and osteopenia).
Dr. Kumar completed her undergraduate studies at Duke University then received her masters degree in Physiology from Georgetown University. She continued on to receive her M.D. from New York Medical College and completed her residency training in Internal Medicine at the New York Presbyterian Hospital/Weill-Cornell Medical College. Dr. Kumar obtained her clinical fellowship in the combined Diabetes, Endocrinology, and Metabolism program at the Weill-Cornell Medical College/New York Presbyterian Hospital and the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.
Dr. Kumar gained her clinical and research focus in obesity medicine/weight management under the mentorship of Dr. Louis Aronne, a world renowned obesity physician whom she practices with at 1165 York Ave. Dr. Kumar has traveled abroad to India, China, and Tanzania in order to both learn and teach medicine to others.
Dr. Kumar practices at two locations. She does general endocrinology at 525 E. 68th Street, Baker Pavilion and does primarily obesity/weight management at 1165 York Avenue location.
Dr. Kumar is Board Certified in Internal Medicine and Endocrinology, Diabetes, & Metabolism.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please feel free to contact this physician or this physician's practice as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [HMO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Fidelis Care
- Health First
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- United Empire
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care
- Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism
- Thyroid Disease In Pregnancy
- Thyroid Disorder
- Obesity and Weight Control
Contact and Practices
- Internal Medicine
- B.A., Duke University, 2002
- M.S., Georgetown University, 2003
- M.D., New York Medical College, 2007