Murray Engel, M.D.
Dr. Engel is Professor of Clinical Pediatrics and Clinical Neurology and Director of the Clinical Service at Weill Cornell Medical Center, and Attending Pediatrician at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center.
After receiving his MD from the University of Chicago, Dr. Engel trained in Pediatrics and Adult Neurology at Yale New Haven Medical Cente, where he completed his residency in pediatrics. He went on to complete a fellowship in Adult Neurology at Yale New Haven Medical Center and another fellowship in Child Neurology at the Neurologic Institute at Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center. He has previously been on faculty at Columbia and Yale, and was Director of Neurology at Blythedale Children's Hospital. He is Board Certified in Neurology (with special competence in Child Neurology), Pediatrics, Clinical Neurophysiology and Neurodevelopmental Disabilities.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please feel free to contact this physician or this physician's practice as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- AETNA [HMO]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Health Plan
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Fidelis Care
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- United Empire
- United Health Care
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- Takenouchi T, Kasdorf E, Engel M, Grunebaum A, Perlman JM. Changing pattern of perinatal brain injury in term infants in recent years. Pediatr Neurol. 2012 Feb;46(2):106-10. PubMed PMID: 22264705.
- Takenouchi T, Rubens EO, Yap VL, Ross G, Engel M, Perlman JM. Delayed onset of sleep-wake cycling with favorable outcome in hypothermic-treated neonates with encephalopathy. J Pediatr. 2011 Aug;159(2):232-7. Epub 2011 Feb 25. PubMed PMID: 21353680.
- Takenouchi T, Cuaycong M, Ross G, Engel M, Perlman JM. Chain of Brain Preservation-A concept to facilitate early identification and initiation of hypothermia to infants at high risk for brain injury. Resuscitation. Aug 30, 2010.
- Takenouchi T, Heier LA, Engel M, Perlman JM. Restricted Diffusion in the Corpus Callosum in Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy. Pediatric Neurology. Sep;43(3):190-6, 2010.
- Yap VL, Engel M, Takenouchi T, Perlman JM. Seizures are Common in Term Infants Undergoing Head Cooling- Potential Opportunity for improving outcome? Journal of Pediatric Neurology. Nov:41 (5):327-31, 2009.
- Takenouchi, T. Yap, VL., Engel M, Perlman JM. Stimulus-induced Seizure in Sick Neonates-Novel Observations with Potential Clinical Implications. Epilepsia Sept: 3, 2009.
- Karkare S, Merchant S, Solomon G, Engel M, Kosofsky B. MELAS With A3243G Mutation Presenting with Occipital Status Epilepticus. Journal of Child Neurology. Dec;24(12):1564-7, 2009.
- Suk D, Krauss AN, Engel M, Perlman JM. Amplitude-integrated Electroencephalography in the NICU:Frequent Artifacts in Premature Infants May Limit its Utility as a Monitoring Device. Pediatrics Feb: 123, 2009.
- Laufer, Ilya, Engel, M., Feldstein, Neil, Souweidane, Mark, :Chiari Malformation Presenting as a Focal Motor Deficit. Journal of Neurosurgery:Pediatrics; 1 (5):392-395, May 2008
- Sirsi, D., Nadiminti, L., Packard, M., Engel, M., Solomon, G.: Apneic Seizures: A Sign of Temporal Lobe Hemorrhage in Full Term Neonates. Journal of Pediatric Neurology Vol 37, No 5, November 2007
- Sirsi, D., Nangia, S., Kandula, P., Solomon, G., Engel, M. Atypical Presentations of Idiopathic Occipital Lobe Epilepsy. Eastern Association of Electroencephalographers, Inc., New York, Feb. 2007
- Stiles J, Trauner D, Engel, M., Nass, R. The development of drawing in children with congenital focal brain injury: evidence for limited functional recovery. Neuropsychologia Mar: 35(3):299-312,1997
- Lee, B.C., Engel, M., MR of lissencephaly. AJNR Am J Neuroradiology Jul-Aug:9(4):804,1988
- Stiles-Davis, J., Janowsky, J. Engel, M. Nass, R. Drawing Ability in Four young children with congenital unilateral brain lesions, Neuropsychologia 26:3,359-371,1988
- Nass, R., Engel, M., Stoner, E., Pang S, New, M.I., Empty sella syndrome in childhood, Pediatric Neurology 1986:2:224-229,1984
- Solomon, G., Engel, M., Hecht. H., Rapoport, A., Progressive dyskinesia due to internal cerebral vein thrombosis, Neurology 32:7, 759,July 1982
- Engel, M., Carmel P.W., Chutorian, A.M., Increased intraventricular pressure without ventriculomegaly in children with shunts: "normal volume" hydrocephalus, Neurosurgery, 5:549-552, 1979
- Engel, M., Leuders, H., Chutorian, A.M.: Significance of focal EEG spikes in epileptic and non-epileptic children who are otherwise normal. Annals of Neurology 2(3):257-258,1977
- Hofer, M.A., Engel, M. Weiner, H., Development of Cardiac rate regulation and activity after neonatal immunosympathectomy. Communications in Behavioral Biology, 6:59-62, 1971.
BOOKS AND BOOK CHAPTERS
Chutorian, A.M., Engel, M. Diseases of Muscle. The Child with Disabling Illness: Principles of Rehabilitation. Editors: Downey and Low, Chapter 12, p 291, Raven Press, New York, 1982
Engel, M., Diseases of Muscle and Nerve in Childhood. Hospimedica, Jul-Aug:35-38, 1986
Guthrie, E., Mast, J., Engel, M., Static Encephalopathies in Childhood. Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Clinic of North America, Vol 8, No 4, Oct 1999
Belman, A. L., Cqle, P. K., Schutzer, S. E., Engel, M., Dattwyler, R.: Neurologic Involvement in Pediatric Lyme Disease. Annals of Neurology Vol 26, No 3. September 1989, p.476
Chutorian A.M., Engel, M: Microcephaly in Childhood. Neurology 42 (Suppl 3) April 1992
Engel, M., Chutorian, A.M.: Clobazam in Refractory Seizures. Annals of Neurology Vol 32,No 3,September 1992
Sirsi, D., Nangia, S., Kandula, P., Solomon, G., Engel, M. Atypical Presentations of Idiopathic Occipital Lobe Epilepsy. Eastern Association of Electroencephalographers, Inc., New York, Feb. 2007
Yap, Vivien L., Perlman, Jeffrey M., Engel, Murray:Amplitude Integrated EEG (aEEG) Monitoring During Selective Hypothermia Has Potential Important Clinical and Prognostic Implications. Pediatric Academic Society Meeting, May 2008.
Yap, Vivien L., Takenouchi, Toshiki, Engel, Murray, Perlman, Jeffrey M.:EEG Seizures Are Frequent During Head Cooling and Are Often Unassociated with a Clinical Correlate. Pediatric Academic Society, May 2008.
Suk, D., Krauss, An, Perlman, JM, Engel, M.:Amplitude-integrated Electroencephalography in Premature Infants: Does It Have Any Role in Assessing Cerebral Function?. Pediatric Academic Society, May 2008.
Takenouchi, T., Yap, V., Engel, M., Perlman, J.:Startle-Induced Epilepsy in Neonates. Child Neurology Society, November 2008.
Yap V, Takenouchi T., Engel M, Perlman JM. EEG Seizures are Frequent during Head Cooling and are Often Unassociated with a Clinical Correlate. Presented at ‘Neonatology in General' at the Pediatric Accademic Societies and Society for Pediatric Research joint meeting in Honolulu, HI on May 5, 2008 (Abstract #635843.8), and at the 37th Annual Meeting of the Child Neurology Society at Santa Clara, CA on November 7, 2008 (Abstract #127), Cited in Annals of Neurology 2008: 64 (suppl 12); S124-5
Takenouchi T, Yap VL, Engel M, Perlman JM. Startle-Induced Seizures in Sick Neonates-Novel Observations with Clinical Implications. Presented at the 37th Annual Meeting of Child Neurology Society at Santa Clara, CA on November 7, 2008 (Abstract#106)Cited in Annals of Neurology 2008:64(suppl 12);S124
Takenouchi T, Rubens EO, Yap VL, Heier LA, Kosofsky BE, Perlman JM, Engel M. Prognostic Value of Sleep Wake Cycle on Video EEG and MRI in Neonates with HIE Treated with Selective Head Cooling. Presented at ‘VII-Child Neurology:Therapeutics and Basic Science' at the 61st Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Neurology in Seattle, WA on April 30, 2009 (Abstract#P07.092).
Takenouchi T, Rubens EO, Yap VL, Engel M, Perlman JM. Term Neonates with Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy (HIE) Treated with Selective Head Cooling (SHC) Have a Favorable Short Term Outcome Even with a Marked Delay in Onset of Sleep-Wake Cycles (SWC) at ‘Neonatal Neurology' in 2009 Pediatric Academic Society Meeting, Baltimore, MD on May 3, 2009 (Abstract#753060), and at platform session ‘Neonatology II-Epidemiology and Follow up" at the 21st Eastern Society for Pediatric Research Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA on March 14, 2009 (Abstract#753060), Pediatric Comprehensive Epilepsy Center conference on December 19, 2008 and Department of Neurology Grand Round at New York-Presbyterian Hospital, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, NY on May 6, 2009
Takenouchi T, Heier LA, Engel M, Perlman JM. Restricted Diffusion Changes (RDC) in the Splenium of Corpus Callosum (SCC) Are Common Findings and Associated with Unfavorable Outcomes in Term Neonates with Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy (HIE) at ‘Neonatal Neurology' in 2009 Pediatric Academic Society Meeting, Baltimore, MD on May 3, 2009 (Abstract#751137), and at platform session ‘Neonatology IV-Clinical Studies' at the 21st Eastern Society for Pediatric Research Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA on March 15, 2009 (Abstract#751137).
Takenouchi T, Yap V, Engel M, Perlman JM. Selective Head Cooling (SHC) Can Improve Outcome of Term Neonates with Severe Encephalopathy with an APGAR score of 0 at 10 minutes. To be presented at the 38th Annual Meeting of the Child Neurology Society at Santa Clara, CA on November 7, 2008 (Abstract#143)
- Child Neurology
- Pediatric Neurology
- Clinical Neurophysiology
- Neurodevelopmental Disabilities
- Pediatric Epilepsy
Contact and Practices
- Child Neurology
- Neurology With Special Qualifications In Child Neurology
- Clinical Neurophysiology
- M.D., University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, 1972