Michael L Loftus, M.D.
Michael L. Loftus MD, MBA is a board-certified radiologist specializing in Musculoskeletal Imaging and Emergency Radiology. He is an Assistant Professor of Radiology at Weill Cornell Medical College and Assistant Attending Radiologist at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital-Weill Cornell Campus. Dr. Loftus serves as the Program Director of the Radiology Residency Training Program in Diagnostic Radiology and as the Quality and Patient Safety Chair for the Department of Radiology at The NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital-Weill Cornell Campus.
Dr. Loftus earned his B.S. in Economics from Georgetown University and his M.D. degree from Columbia University, College of Physicians & Surgeons in New York City, where he was inducted to the Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) medical honor society upon graduation. Dr. Loftus also attended Columbia University School of Business and earned his Master in Business Administration (M.B.A.) degree.
Dr. Loftus did a transitional internship year at St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital in NYC before completing a residency in Diagnostic Radiology at NewYork-Presbyterian-Weill Cornell Medical Center. Dr. Loftus was elected and served as Chief Resident in the last year of his residency, and was awarded the Weill Cornell Alumni Counci Distinguished Housestaff award. This was followed by a year of Fellowship training in musculoskeletal imaging at The Hospital for Special Surgery, New York, NY, where he earned the fellowship award for excellence in education.
Dr. Loftus’ clinical expertise is in Musculoskeletal Imaging and Emergency Imaging. He interprets a variety of imaging studies including radiographs, CT, ultrasound and MRI, covering all joints and extremities as well as imaging of the chest, abdomen and pelvis. He is also trained in a wide array of image guided musculoskeletal procedures. He maintains Board Certification in Diagnostic Radiology with the American Board of Radiology.
Dr. Loftus’ research interests involve quality and patient safety, radiation safety and radiation reduction techniques, as well as imaging quality and musculoskeletal ultrasound and MRI. His focus on radiation reduction and patient safety was supported by the American College of Radiology’s E. Stephen Amis Fellowship in Quality and Safety, and resulted in Dr. Loftus receiving the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital Employee CARE award for outstanding service to patients in 2010.
In addition to clinical and research activities, Dr. Loftus is an active and involved teacher of residents, fellows, and medical students.
Dr. Loftus is a member of several prestigious radiological societies listed below:
- American College of Radiology (ACR)
- Appointee, Dose Registry Committee
- American Society of Emergency Radiology
- Association of University Radiologists (AUR)
- Radiological Society of North America (RSNA)
- New York Roentgen Ray Society
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA [HMO]
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Fidelis Care
- GHI [CBP]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [CHP]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Health Republic
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [Medicare]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [HMO]
- Abdominal Imaging
- Computed Tomography (CT)
- MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging)
- Musculoskeletal Imaging
- Diagnostic Radiology
- B.A., Georgetown University, 2002
- M.B.A., Columbia Business School, Columbia University, 2007
- M.D., Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, 2007