Michael J. Smith, M.D.
Michael J. Smith, M.D. is a Board Certified Radiation Oncologist at Weill Cornell Medical College/New York Presbyterian Hospital. Dr. Smith received his undergraduate degree from Tufts University and his medical degree from Tufts University School of Medicine in Boston. After medical school, he completed his internship at David Grant United States Air Force Medical Center in Northern California. Upon completion of his internship, Dr. Smith served as a United States Air Force Flight Surgeon, with tours of duty at Kirtland Air Force Base, New Mexico, and at Ramstein Air Force Base, Germany. While serving as an Aeromedical Evacuation Flight Surgeon in Germany, he earned the Air Force Commendation Medal for meritorious service and the Air Force Achievement Medal. He was also awarded the Clarence M. Mackay Trophy for his medical response to the USS Cole terrorist bombing.
After serving four years reserve duty and five years active duty, Dr. Smith completed his residency in Radiation Oncology at Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York, New York in 2005. He was Chief Resident his final year, and was involved in multiple prostate cancer research projects.
Dr. Smith was on staff at Massachusetts General Hospital, at which time he held an academic appointment at Harvard Medical School.
At New York Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical College, Dr. Smith treats a variety of cancers, including prostate cancer and other genitourinary cancers, such as bladder and testicular cancer, breast cancer, including partial breast brachytherapy and intraoperative radiation therapy, and lymphoma, among others.
Dr. Smith was named as the recipient of the 2011 Patient Centered Care Physician Champion Award at New York Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical College.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please feel free to contact this physician or this physician's practice as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
- AETNA [HMO]
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Fidelis Care
- GHI [CBP]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [CHP]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Health Republic
- Medicare [Medicare]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [Medicare]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [HMO]
- Radiation Oncology
- Breast Cancer
- Bladder Cancer
- Prostate Cancer
Contact and Practices
- Radiation Oncology
- Diagnostic Radiology
- B.S., Tufts University, 1992
- M.D., Tufts University School of Medicine, 1996