Manu Jain, M.D.
As a trained pathologist, I had a unique opportunity to work in three continents (Asia, Europe and America) and gained over 12 years of extensive knowledge not only in conventional pathology but also in ground-breaking translational research. My main focus since joining Cornell has been in vivo microscopy. In vivo microscopy techniques, such as multiphoton microscopy (MPM) and full field optical coherence tomography (FFOCT) can generate high resolution histology quality images in real-time without the need for tissue processing, a quintessential step in conventional histopathology. Thus these techniques can be used for real-time, intra-operative diagnosis that will reduce the rate of benign biopsies and its associated complications. In addition, these techniques can also aid pathogists in quick evaluation of ex vivo tissues.Thus can be used as an adjunct or eventually an alternative tool to frozen section analysis. In addition, it can aslo be used for tissue selection in bio banking and organ transplant.
Dr. Jain obtained her MD in Pathology, from Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, Aligarh, India. She then worked as a senior resident in the department of anatomic-pathology, University College of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India. Later, she moved to France, where she did rotating fellowship, in the departments of dermato-pathology, GI-pathology and endocrine-pathology, in René Descartes University, Paris.
Since joining Weill Cornell Medical College in early 2010, her main focus has been translational research, especially in vivo microscopy. She was employed by Department of Urology at Cornell as a Research Associate to validate and establish the utility of in vivo microscopy tools in gentio-urinary tumors. Since then she has extensively worked with cutting edge “optical imaging” technologies such as multiphoton microscopy (MPM) and full field optical coherence tomography (FFOCT) in detecting tumors (bladder, kidney, prostate, lung and gastrointestinal diseases) in humans. Recently she also worked in prostate cancer tumor bank as a pathologist.
United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology (USCAP)
International Academy of Pathology (IAP)
European Association of Urology (EAU)
1. Jain M., Narula N., Aggarwal A., Shevchuk M., Sterling J., Salamoon B., Chandel C., Stiles B., Webb. W., Altorki N., Mukherjee S.“Multiphoton microscopy: a potential “optical biopsy” tool for real-time evaluation of lung tumors without the need for exogenous contrast agents”. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2013; doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.5858/arpa.2013-0122-OA
2. Jain, M., Narula N., Salamoon B., Shevchuk M.M, Aggarwal A., Altorki N., Stiles,B., Mukherjee S.,Boccara C., “Full-field optical coherence tomography for the analysis of fresh unstained human lobectomy specimens”. Journal of Pathol. Infor. 2013, 4(1):26.
3. Jain M., Robinson B.D., Scherr DS., Sterling J, Lee MM, Wysock J, Rubin MA, Maxfield FR, Zipfel WR, Webb WW, Mukherjee S. “Multiphoton Microscopy in the Evaluation of Human Bladder Biopsies.” Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2011; 136: 517-26. PMID: 22540300.
4. Osborne J. R., Green D.A, Spratt D.E, Fardeedy S.B, Robinson B.D, Beattie B., Jain M., Deh K., Larson S. M, Bander N.H, Scherr D.S. “A Pilot Study of 89Zr-J591/PSMA Positron Emission Tomography (PET) in Men with Localized Prostate Cancer Undergoing Radical Prostatectomy”. Journal of Urology. 2013; In press.http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.juro.2013.10.041.
5. Aggarwal A., Jain M., Frykman P.K., Xu C., Mukherjee S., Munesterer O.J.”Multiphoton microscopy to identify and characterize the transition zone in a mouse model of Hirschsprung disease”. Journal of Pediatric Surgery. 2013. Volume 48, Issue 6, June 2013, Pages 1288–1293.
6. Jain M., Makino T., Montrose D. C., Aggarwal A., Sterling J., Bosworth B. P., Milsom J. W., Robinson B. D., Shevchuk M. M., Kawaguchi K., Zhang N., Brown C. M., Rivera D. R., Williams W. O., Xu C., Dannenberg A.J., Mukherjee S. Multiphoton tomographic imaging: a potential optical biopsy tool for detecting gastrointestinal inflammation and neoplasia” Cancer Prev. Res., 2012; 5(11):1280-90. DOI: 10.1158/1940-6207.
7. Jain, M., Shukla, N., Manzoor, M., Nadolny, S. and Mukherjee, S. “Modified Full-Field Optical Coherence Tomography: A novel tool for rapid histology of tissues” J. Pathol. Informatics. 2011; 2:28. DOI: 10.4103/2153-3539.82053.
8. Najari B. B., Ramasamy R., Sterling J., Aggarwal A., Sheth S., Li P. S., Dubin J., Goldenberg S., Jain M., Robinson B. D., Shevchuk M., Scherr D. S., Goldstein M., Mukherjee S. and Schlegel P. N. “Pilot study on the correlation of multiphoton tomography of ex vivo human testis with histology” J. Urol. 2012 ; 188: 538-43. PMID: 22704107
9. Ramasamy R., Sterling J., Manzoor M., Salamoon B., Jain M., Fisher E. S., Li P. S., Schlegel P. N. and Mukherjee S. “Full field optical coherence tomography can identify spermatogenesis in a rodent sertoli cell only model” J. Pathol. Informatics. 2012; 3: 4. PMID: 22439124.
10. Ramasamy, R., Sterling, J., Fisher, E. S., Li, P. S., Jain, M., Robinson, B. D., Shevchuk, M., Huland, D., Xu, C., Mukherjee, S. and Schlegel, P. N. “Identification of spermatogenesis with Multiphoton Microscopy: an evaluation in a rodent model” J. Urol. 2011: 186: 2487-2492.
11. Jain M., S.H Arif., Khan, N. “5 Nucleotidase in Infective Hepatitis” JAMS; 2011; Vol.11, No.1.
12. Jain M., Alam K., Maheshwari V., Mehndi G., S.M Ashraf, “Phylloides tumour, a case report”, JAMS.
13. Jain M., Naim K., Verma A.K., Khan N.,(1999) Dissertation on “correlation between F.N.A.C, Impression Smear Cytology, Histopathology and Clinical findings in cases of Lymph node Enlargement,” Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, Aligarh Muslim University, India.
Honors and Awards
2013 Young Investigator award, Prostate Cancer Foundation
2013 MPM images featured on CAP website
Aug 2012 Cover picture in Journal of Urology
Nov 2012 Cover picture in Cancer Prevention Research Journal
Oct 2012 Invited lecture at Digital Pathology Association, Baltimore
April, 2011 Invited lecture at LLTECH company, NJ
2003-2004 Fellowship (anatomic- pathology), L'hôpital Ambroise- Paré, (Paris), France
- M.B.,B.S., Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College (India), 1998
- M.D., Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College (India), 2001