Kimberley A. Chien, M.D.
From the start of my medical career, I have understood that building a strong relationship between physicians, patients, and the patient's family is integral to the success of treating medically ill children. Children with gastrointestinal disorders, acute or chronic, can be debilitated by their disease. They require great care and attention by their physicians and families. I have dedicated my practice to understanding their diseases to the best of my ability and creating a supportive environment of mutual understanding, strong communication and upmost respect so that I will be able to treat pediatric gastrointestinal patients successfully. Working with patients with a variety of complex pediatric gastrointestinal disorders in this capacity has allowed me to feel incredibly rewarded each day of my life.
Dr. Kimberley Chien is an Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at Weill-Cornell Medical College and Assistant Attending Pediatrician at NewYork-Presbyterian Phyllis and David Komansky Center for Children's Health/Weill Cornell Medical Center. She is board-certified in pediatrics and pediatric gastroenterology.
After receiving a B.S. in Neuroscience at Tufts University, Dr. Chien earned her medical degree at SUNY-Downstate Medical College of Brooklyn. She completed her pediatric internship and residency training at NYU School of Medicine and attended NYP Morgan Stanley Children’s Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center to complete fellowship training in Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition. While Dr. Chien cares for patients with general gastrointestinal disorders, her clinical expertise focuses on transitional care of inflammatory bowel disease patients as well as functional bowel disorders. She works closely with multidisciplinary teams to ensure excellent patient care and comprehensive treatment of difficult and complex gastrointestinal disorders.
Interests and Research
In addition to her clinical work, Dr. Chien has a strong interest in education and research. Throughout her medical career, she has been involved in medical education to improve resident and fellowship curriculum. Her academic endeavors include giving lectures to fellows and residents to developing fellowship nutritional curriculum. Dr. Chien’s research efforts include collaborating with Michael D. Gershon, MD, a world-renowned leader in understanding the enteric nervous system. Together, they investigated the role of serotonergic receptors in the development of the enteric nervous system which resulted in a presentation at the Annual North American Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition meeting in 2012.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please feel free to contact this physician or this physician's practice as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
- AETNA [HMO]
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Fidelis Care
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [CHP]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Health Republic
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [Medicare]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [HMO]
- Pediatric Gastroenterology
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Functional Bowel Disorder
- Celiac Disease
- Gastroesophageal Reflux
- Eosinophilic Esophagitis
- Food Allergy
- Feeding Disorder of Infancy or Early Childhood
- Percutaneous Placement of Gastrostomy Tube
Contact and Practices
- B.S., Tufts University, 2001
- M.D., State University of New York Health Science Center at Brooklyn, 2006