Juhi Kumar, M.D.
Dr. Juhi Kumar is an Assistant Professor of Pediatrics and Pediatrics in Public Health at Weill Cornell Medical College and Assistant Attending Pediatrician at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center.
Dr. Kumar is interested in the care and treatment of children with disorders involving the kidneys. She cares for children with congenital kidney abnormalities, fluid and electrolyte disorders, high blood pressure and kidney diseases causing proteinuria and hematuria.
She also cares for children who have chronic kidney disease, end-stage kidney disease requiring dialysis or kidney transplantation.
Dr. Kumar received her degree in Medicine (M.B.B.S.) from LLRM Medical College in India. She completed a residency in Pediatrics at the SUNY Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY. Following residency, she completed a fellowship in Pediatric Nephrology at The Children’s Hospital at Montefiore, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY.
Dr. Kumar also holds a Master’s in Public Health from the School of Public Health, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- AETNA [HMO]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Fidelis Care
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [CHP]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Health Republic
- Medicare [Medicare]
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- United Health Care
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [HMO]
Gordillo R, Kumar J, Del Rio M, Flynn JT, and Woroniecki RP. Outcomes of dialysis in children with ESRD due to Human Immunodeficiency Virus Infection. Pediatr Nephrol. 2009
Kumar J, Gordillo R, Kaskel FJ, Druschel CM, and Woroniecki RP. Increased prevalence of renal and urinary tract anomalies in children with congenital hypothyroidism. J Pediatr. 2008 Sep 27. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 18823909
Kumar J, Muntner P, Kaskel FJ, Hailpern SM, Melamed ML. Prevalence and Associations of 25- Hydroxyvitamin D Deficiency in Children and Adolescents in the United States: Results from NHANES 2001-2004. Pediatrics. 2009 Sep; 124(3):e362-70. Epub 2009 Aug 3.PMID: 19661054
Sharief S, Jariwala S, Kumar J, Muntner P, Melamed ML. Vitamin D levels and food and environmental allergies in the United States: Results from NHANES 2005-2006. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2011 May; 127(5):1195-202. Epub 2011 Feb 16. PMID: 21329969
Skversky Amy, Kumar J, Abramowitz M, Kaskel FK, Melamed ML. Association of Glucocorticoid use and low 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels: results from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES): 2001-2006. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011 Dec;96(12):3838-45. Epub 2011 Sep 28.
Yahn-Yir Chau & Juhi Kumar. Vitamin D in Chronic Kidney Disease. Indian J Pediatr. Symposium on Pediatric Nephrology. DOI 10.1007/s12098-012-0765-1. April 2012
Kumar J, Furth SL, Warady BA. The Pediatric Patient with Chronic Kidney Disease-Mineral Bone Disorder. Clinic Rev Bone Miner Metabolism. DOI 10.1007/s12018-011-9112-8. Published online 15 Sep 2011
Melamed ML, Kumar J. Low levels of 25-hydroxyvitamin D in the pediatric populations: prevalence and clinical outcomes. Pediatric Health, February 2010, Vol. 4, No. 1, Pages 89-97.
Kumar J, Gordillo R, Del Rio M, and Flynn JT. Recurrent chyloperitoneum- a rare complication of peritoneal dialysis. Pediatric Nephrology, 2008, April, Vol.23, No.4 PMID: 18095006
Kumar J, Woda CB, Woroniecki RP, Mulroney SE, and Kaskel FJ. Role of the Kidney in Calcium and Phosphorus Homeostasis. Polin's textbook of Fetal and Neonatal Physiology, 4th edition. Elsevier Publishing. In Press
Kumar J, Gordillo R, Woroniecki RP. Disorders of Sodium Homeostasis. Fluids and Electrolytes in Pediatrics, 1st Edition. Humana Press.
Honors and Awards
- Recipient of the National Institute of Health (NIH)/ National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK) Mentored Patient-Oriented Research Career Development Award (K23).
- Pediatric Nephrology
- Kidney Transplant
- Kidney Disease
- Kidney Stones
- Kidney Failure
- Renal Transplant
- Kidney Transplantation
- Pediatric Hemodialysis
- Pediatric Glomerulonephritis
- Pediatric Peritoneal Dialysis
- Disorder of Electrolytes
- Nephrotic Syndrome
- Pediatric Nephrology
- M.B.,B.S., L.L.R.M. Medical College, Meerut University (India), 1997
- M.P.H., Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, 2003