Juan Emilio Carrillo, M.D.
Dr. J. Emilio Carrillo is Associate Attending Physician at NewYork- Presbyterian Hospital and Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine and Clinical Public Health at the Weill Cornell Medical College. He holds an undergraduate degree from Columbia College and a medical degree from Harvard Medical School. After completing his residency in medicine at Massachusetts General Hospital, Dr. Carrillo earned an M.P.H. from the Harvard School of Public Health.
In addition to his academic duties, Dr. Carrillo serves as President and Chief Medical Officer of the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital Community Health Plan, the Hospital's managed Medicaid program.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please feel free to contact this physician or this physician's practice as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
- * AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- AETNA [HMO]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- * CIGNA
- Emblem Select Care
- * Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- * Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- * Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- * Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Fidelis Care
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [CHP]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Health Republic
- Medicare [Medicare]
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- * Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- * Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- * United Health Care
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [Medicare]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [HMO]
- Smith KW, McGraw SA, Carrillo JE. Factors Affecting Cigarette Smoking and Intention to Smoke among Puerto-Rican American High School Students. Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Sciences, Vol. 13, No. 4, 1991; pp. 401-411.
- McGraw SA, Smith KW, Schensul JJ, Carrillo JE. Sociocultural Factors Associated with Smoking Behavior by Puerto Rican Adolescents in Boston. Soc. Sci. Med., 1991, 33(12): 1355-1364.
- Carrillo JE, De L Cancela V. The Cambridge Latino Health Clinic: A Model for Interagency Integration of Health Services for Latinos at the Provider Level. Journal of the National Medical Association, Vol. 84, No. 6, 1992; pp. 513-519.
- Carrillo JE, Green A, Betancourt JR. Cross-Cultural Primary Care: A Patient-Based Approach. Annals of Internal Medicine, 1999: 130: 829-834.
- Betancourt JR, Carrillo JE, Green A. Communication Barriers and Compliance in Minority Hypertensives. Accepted for Publication in Current Hypertension Reports, July 1999.
Honors and Awards
- 1996-98: The Medical Foundation, Research Fellow Award
- 1990: National Boricua Health Award
- 1990: Concilio Hispano Award
- 1990: Boriua Health Award, Harvard Medical School
- 1990: The National Guidance Council Award
- 1990: Certificate of Appreciation and Recognition of Service, The Latino Caucus, American Public Health Association
- 1990: National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute Award
- 1990 & 1991: Black United Fund of New York Award
- 1990: Herencia Latina, New York University
- 1990: Outstanding Service Award in Recognition of Commitment to Community Based Health Care Services, Renaissance Health Care Network
- 1991: Top 100 National Hispanic Leaders, Hispanic Business Magazine
- 1992: The Most Influential Physicians in New York, New York State Medical News
- 1992: Distinguished Panel of Hispanic Scientists, Award Recipient and Keynote Presenter, National Institutes of Health
- 1993: Life Time Achievement Award, York College, Hispanic Club
- 1994:Latino Caucus Award, American Public Health Association
- 1997: Distinguished Service and Leadership Award, National Hispanic Medical Association
- 1999: Partnering for Quality Improvement, New York State Department of Health, Asthma Disease Management
- Primary Care
- Internal Medicine
- M.D., Harvard Medical School, 1976
- M.P.H., Harvard School of Public Health, 1981