James Ip, M.D.
"I have been fortunate to have been trained and mentored by some of the country's finest physicians. It is a great honor for me to care for patients through the practice of electrophysiology. I am committed to clinical excellence, teaching and research for the betterment of my patients and the advancement of academic medicine."
James Ip, MD, FACC, FHRS was born and raised in New York City. After graduating summa cum laude from Columbia University, he attended Harvard Medical School. There, he received a Doris Duke Clinical Research Fellowship, which enabled him to pursue research interests in cardiovascular genetics and stem cell therapy. He completed his internal medicine residency at the Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston and returned to New York for his cardiovascular disease and cardiac electrophysiology fellowships at Cornell University Medical Center.
While at New York Presbyterian Hospital, Dr. Ip has performed thousands of procedures, including catheter ablations and implantation of cardiac devices (such as pacemakers and defibrillators).
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please feel free to contact this physician or this physician's practice as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
- AETNA [HMO]
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Fidelis Care
- GHI [CBP]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [CHP]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Health Republic
- Medicare [Medicare]
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [Medicare]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [HMO]
- Zhang L, Huang Y, Yuan H, Chen BK, Ip J, Ho DD, "Identification of a replication-competent pathogenic human immunodeficiency virus type 1 with a duplication in the TCF-1alpha region but lacking NF-kappaB binding sites," Journal of Virology, February, 1997, Volume: 71, Pages: 1651-1656.
- Zhang L, Huang Y, Yuan H, Chen BK, Ip J, Ho DD, "Genotypic and phenotypic characterization of long terminal repeat sequences from long-term survivors of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 infection", Journal of Virology, July, 1997, Volume: 71, Pages: 5608-5613.
- Mo H, Stamatatos L, Ip JE, Barbas CF, Parren PW, Burton DR, Moore JP, Ho DD, "Human immunodeficiency virus type 1 mutants that escape neutralization by human monoclonal antibody IgG1b12", Journal of Virology, September, 1997, Volume: 71, Pages: 6869-6874.
- Mo H, Monard S, Pollack H, Ip J, Rochford G, Wu L, Hoxie J, Borkowsky W, Ho DD, Moore JP, "Expression patterns of the HIV type 1 coreceptors CCR5 and CXCR4 on CD4+ T cells and monocytes from cord and adult blood," AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses, May, 1998, Volume: 14, Pages: 607-617.
- Boden D, Hurley A, Zhang L, Cao Y, Guo Y, Jones E, Tsay J, Ip J, Farthing C, Limoli K, Parkin N, Markowitz M, "HIV-1 drug resistance in newly infected individuals," JAMA, September, 1999, Volume: 282, Pages: 1135-1141.
- Chen Z, Huang Y, Zhao X, Skulsky E, Lin D, Ip J, Gettie A, Ho DD, "Enhanced infectivity of an R5-tropic simian/human immunodeficiency virus carrying human immunodeficiency virus type 1 subtype C envelope after serial passages in pig-tailed macaques (Macaca nemestrina)," Journal of Virology, July, 2000, Volume: 74, Pages: 6501-6510.
- Barrans JD, Ip J, Lam CW, Hwang IL, Dzau VJ, Liew CC, "Chromosomal distribution of the human cardiovascular transcriptome," Genomics, May, 2003, Volume: 81, Pages: 519-524.
- Wu Y, Ip JE, Huang J, Zhang L, Matsushita K, Liew CC, Pratt RE, Dzau VJ. “Essential role of ICAM-1/CD18 in mediating EPC recruitment, angiogenesis, and repair to the infarcted myocardium,” Circulation Research, August, 2006, Volume: 99, Pages: 315-22.
- Ip JE, Wu YJ, Huang J, Zhang L, Pratt RE, Dzau VJ. “Mesenchymal stem cells use integrin beta1 not CXC chemokine receptor 4 for myocardial migration and engraftment,” Molecular Biology of the Cell, August, 2007, Volume:18, Pages: 2873-82.
- Ip JE, Cheung JW, Park D, Hellawell JL, Stein KM, Iwai S, Liu CF, Lerman BB, Markowitz SM. “Temporal Associations Between Thoracic Volume Overload and Malignant Ventricular Arrhythmias: A Study of Intrathoracic Impedance,” Journal of Cardiovascular Electrophysiology, March, 2011, Volume: 22, Pages: 293-9.
- Ip JE, Markowitz SM, Liu CF, Cheung JW, Thomas G, Lerman BB. “Differentiating pacemaker-mediated tachycardia from tachycardia due to atrial tracking: Utility of V-A-A-V vs V-A-V response after PVARP extension,” Heart Rhythm, August, 2011, Volume: 8, Pages: 1185-91.
- Liu CF, Ip JE, Lin AC, Lerman BB. “Mechanistic Heterogeneity of Junctional Ectopic Tachycardia in Adults,” Pacing and Clinical Electrophysiology, January, 2013, Volume: 36, Pages: e7-10.
- Cheung JW, Chung JH, Ip JE, Markowitz SM, Liu CF, Thomas G, Lerman BB. “Time course of adenosine-induced pulmonary vein reconnection after isolation: implications for mechanism of dormant conduction,” Pacing and Clinical Electrophysiology, May, 2012, Volume: 35, Pages: 556-63.
- Ip JE, Lerman BB, Cheung JW. “Deglutition-induced atrial tachycardia: direct visualization by intracardiac echocardiography,” Circulation: Arrhythmia and Electrophysiology, April, 2012, Volume: 5, Pages: e36-7.
- Cheung JW, Ip JE, Chung JH, Markowitz SM, Liu CF, Thomas G, Lee JM, Lessner SJ, Lerman BB. “Differential effects of adenosine on pulmonary vein ectopy after pulmonary vein isolation: implications for arrhythmogenesis,” Circulation: Arrhythmia and Electrophysiology. August: 2012, Volume: 5, Pages: 659-66.
- Kanagasundram AN, Baduashvili A, Liu CF, Cheung JW, Thomas G, Ip JE, Young SD, Lerman BB, Markowitz SM. “A novel criterion for conduction block after catheter ablation of right atrial tachycardia after mitral valve surgery,” Circulation: Arrhythmia and Electrophysiology, February, 2013, Volume: 6, Pages: 39-47.
- Ip JE, Markowitz SM, Cheung JW, Liu CF, Thomas G, Lessner SJ, Lee JM, Lerman BB. “Method for Differentiating Left Superior Pulmonary Vein Exit Conduction From Pseudo-Exit Conduction,” Pacing and Clinical Electrophysiology, March, 2013, Volume: 36, Pages: 299-308.
- Ip JE, Cheung JW, Chung JH, Liu CF, Thomas G, Markowitz SM, Lerman BB. “Adenosine-Induced Atrial Fibrillation: Insights into Mechanism,” Circulation: Arrhythmia and Electrophysiology. June, 2013, Volume: 6, Pages: e34-7.
- Ip JE, Seidman CE, Liu CF, Cheung JW, Thomas G, Markowitz SM, Lerman BB. “The Conundrum of Sudden Cardiac Death: Making Sense of Missense,” Circulation: Arrhythmia and Electrophysiology. August, 2013, Volume: 6, Pages: e58-e63.
- Ip JE, Lerman BB, Markowitz SM. Dissociated Pulmonary Vein Tachycardia During Atrial Fibrillation. Innovations in Cardiac Rhythm Management. September, 2013, Volume: 4, Pages 1375-7.
- Cheung JW, Al-Kazaz M, Thomas G, Liu CF, Ip JE, Bender SR, Siddiqi FK, Markowitz SM, Lerman BB. Mechanisms, Predictors and Trends of Electrical Failure of Riata Leads. Heart Rhythm. October, 2013, Volume: 10, Pages: 1453-9.
- Rene AG, Sastry A, Horowitz JM, Cheung J, Liu CF, Thomas G, Ip JE, Lerman BB, Markowitz SM. Recovery of atrioventricular conduction after pacemaker placement following cardiac valvular surgery. Journal of Cardiovascular Electrophysiology. December, 2013, Volume: 24, Pages: 1383-7.
- Cheung JW, Lin FS, Ip JE, Bender SR, Siddiqi FK, Liu CF, Thomas G, Markowitz SM, Lerman BB. Adenosine-induced pulmonary vein ectopy as a predictor of recurrent atrial fibrillation after pulmonary vein isolation. Circulation: Arrhythmia and Electrophysiology, December, 2013, Volume: 6, Pages: 1066-73.
- Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Cardiac Arrhythmia
- Cardiac Electrophysiology
- Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy
- Catheter Ablation
- Implantable Defibrillators
- Supraventricular Tachycardia
- Ventricular Tachycardia
Contact and Practices
- Internal Medicine
- Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology
- Cardiovascular Disease
- B.A., Columbia University, New York, NY, 1999
- M.D., Harvard Medical School, 2004