Haviva Veler, M.D.
Dr. Haviva Veler is the Director for the Weill Cornell Pediatric Sleep and Breathing Disorders Center. She also serves as Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at Weill Cornell Medical College, and is an Assistant Attending Pediatrician at NewYork-Presbyterian Phyllis and David Komansky Center for Children's Health/Weill Cornell Medical Center.
Board certified in Pediatrics, Pediatric Pulmonary and Sleep Medicine, Dr. Veler is an expert in sleep medicine and obstructive sleep apnea. She received her medical degree at the Technion Institute of Technology, School of Medicine in Haifa, Israel. She completed her internship and residency at Maimonides' Infant and Children's Hospital in Brooklyn, New York, and then went on to complete a fellowship program in Pediatric Pulmonology at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP), staying on as an attending physician. In 2006, Dr. Veler returned to New York City, joining the Department of Pediatrics at the Children's Hospital of Montefiore, where she also served as the Director of the Pulmonary Function Test Laboratory from 2007-2010.
In addition to her clinical work, Dr. Veler is the author of several peer-reviewed articles and a book chapter on asthma. She also serves as a reviewer for pulmonary journals. Her research experience includes looking at airway smooth muscle cells as a potential super-antigen in asthmatics.
Dr. Veler's current research interest focuses on evaluation of upper airway abnormalities, in the context of upper airway obstruction and in kids with obstructive sleep apnea, in a non invasive way through the use of the impulse oscillometry system (IOS).
Dr. Veler's Videos:
- Back to School: Sleep Issues for Children [4-NBCNewYork]
- Pediatric Sleep Tips with Dr. Veler: What Are Night Terrors? How Can I Help My Child with Night Terrors?
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [HMO]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Fidelis Care
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [CHP]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Health Republic
- Medicare [Medicare]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- United Health Care
PEER REVIEWED ARTICLES
Grunstein MM, Veler H, Shan X, Larson J, Grunstein J, Chuang S. Proasthmatic
effects and mechanisms of action of the dust mite allergen, Der P1, in airway smooth
muscle. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2005 Jul; 116(1):94-101
Shan X, Hu A, Veler H, Fatma S, Grunstein JS, Chuang S, Grunstein MM.
Regulation of Toll-like Receptor 4-Induced Pro-asthmatic Changes in Airway
Smooth Muscle Function by Opposing Actions of ERK1/2 and p38 MAPK
Signaling. 2006 Sep;291(3):L324-33.
Veler H, Hu A, Fatma S, Grunstein JS, DeStephan CM, Campbell D, Orange JS,
Grunstein MM. Superantigen Presentation by Airway Smooth Muscle to CD4
Lymphocytes Elicits Pro-Asthmatic Changes in Airway Function. J Immunol. 2007
Shah MB, Bent J, Vicencio AG, Veler H, Arens R, Parikh S. Flexible
bronchoscopy and interdisciplinary collaboration in pediatric large airway disease.
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2008 Dec;72(12):1771-6.
Vicencio AG, Bent J, Tsirilakis K, Nandalike K, Veler H and Parikh S.
Management of severe tracheal stenosis using flexible bronchoscopy and impulse
oscillometry. Joural of Bronchology and Interventional Pulmonology, In press.
BOOKS AND BOOK CHAPTERS
Veler H, Clayton R. Chapter 7: Asthma. In: Requisites in Pediatrics: Pediatric
Pulmonology. Bell LM
- Pediatric Sleep Medicine
- Sleep Medicine
- Sleep Apnea
- Pediatric Sleep Disorders
- Sleep and Snoring Disorders
- Airway Disorder
- Excessive Daytime Sleepiness
- Periodic Limb Movement Disorder
- Chronic Lung Disease
- Circadian Rhythm Sleep Disorder
- Night Terrors
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Restless Legs Syndrome
- Pulmonary Function Testing
- Home Mechanical Ventilation
- Lung Disease In Neuromuscular Patients
- Multiple Sleep Latency Test
- Pediatric Pulmonology
- Sleep Medicine
- B.S., Technion-Israel Institute of Technology (Israel), 1993
- M.D., Technion-Israel Institute of Technology, Faculty of Medicine (Israel), 1997