Garrick Hillman Leonard, M.D.
Dr. Garrick Leonard practices general Obstetrics and Gynecology stressing patient eduaction and involvement. He believes that each patient needs to understand her body and her healthcare choices.
Dr. Leonard has been on the full-time faculty at the Weill Medical College of Cornell University since completing his residency there in 1991. He was board certified in Obstetrics and Gynecology in 1993. Dr Leonard has provided care for many thousands of women and has delivered over three thousand babies.
"I believe that pregnancy is a natural if unique phase in a woman's life. My job is to assure that each pregnancy is proceeding normally and intervene if it is not. Many pregnancies are medically straightforward. Some, such as twins or triplets, may be complex from the outset. In others, problems such as high blood pressure or pre-term labor may develop. I am fortunate to practice at the Weill Cornell campus of the New York Presbyterian Hospital where the latest technologies and superbly trained specialists are only a few steps or a phone call away. I still find each pregnancy and delivery extraordinary and exciting.
"I chose to practice Ob/Gyn because I am able to care for women through the many stages of their reproductive lives. During my years of training and practice, I have developed several areas of special interest and expertise within gynecology. These include:
- Minimally invasive gynecologic surgery including laparoscopic hysterectomy
- Management and treatment (medical and surgical)of uterine fibroids
- Evaluation and treatment of abnormal PAP smears
- Fertility management including contraception, pre-conceptual counseling, and basic infertility evaluation
Advances in pharmacology and surgical technology now offer multiple avenues for treatment of these and other gynecologic problems. I eduacte and work with my patients to help each one choose the most appropriate treatment path for her."
Dr. Leonard was himself born in the old Lying-In wing of New York Hospital. He grew up in Manhattan, graduating from The Collegiate School as valedictorian. He graduated summa cum laude from Williams College (Religion and Classics) and then studied for two years at Emmanuel College, Cambridge University (Archaeology and Natural Sciences) as a Herschel Smith Fellow.
After a year of hospital work, Dr Leonard attended Harvard Medical School, serving on key student-faculty committees that initiated the case-based, more patient-oriented curriculum that is now standard at Harvard, Cornell and elsewhere. Returning to New York City, Dr Leonard completed his residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology at New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center.
Dr. Leonard has won many teaching awards and is an Assistant Director of the Ob/Gyn Residency Program. He serves as President of the NYH-Cornell Medical Center Independent Practice Association and on many other department committees.
Dr. Leonard lives in Manhattan with his wife, three teenage children, a middle-aged beagle, and a melon-loving tortoise. In his (limited) free time, Dr. Leonard pursues his long-standing avocation, running, completing the last 5 NYC Marathons and coming in 2nd in his age group in 2009 (2:42.38)
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Anthem [POS]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [POS]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Fidelis Care
- Health First
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [CHP]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Health Republic
- Medicare [Medicare]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [HMO]
- Gynecologic Surgery
- Advanced Operative Hysteroscopy
- Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery
- Uterine Fibroid
- Hysterectomy, Laparoscopic
- Pregnancy Care
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- M.D., Harvard Medical School, 1987