Charles Maltz, Ph.D., M.D.
Dr. Maltz is an Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine at Weill Cornell. He has published in both basic science as well as clinical medicine. He plays an important role in the training of gastroenterology fellows in endoscopy/colonoscopy along with providing instruction to Cornell Medical College students in their preclinical years. In addition, he serves as a consultant in gastroenterology and hepatology at The Hospital for Special Surgery.
A native New Yorker, Dr. Maltz has a MD from the University of Pennsylvania and a Ph. D. (physical chemistry) from Harvard University. He has taught at Harvard, the University of California (Berkeley), and the University of Maryland.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please feel free to contact this physician or this physician's practice as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
- AETNA [HMO]
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Health Plan
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Fidelis Care
- GHI [CBP]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Medicare [Medicare]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- United Empire
- United Health Care
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
47. Natov N, Kumta N, and Maltz C: Groove pancreatitis: A rare cause of abdominal pain, American Journal of Gastroenterology October 2013
46. Licht E and Maltz C: The potential role of lactulose in the prevention of Clostridium difficile diarrhea, American Journal of Gastroenterology, (2012); 107 S203
45. Shah M and Maltz C: Intestinal angioedema a rare cause of of recurrent abdominal pain, The American Journal of Gastroenterology, (2009); 104 S262
44. Weine D, Schamberg N, and Maltz C:Infliximab induced lung disease, The American Journal of Gastroenterology,(2009); 104 S351
43. Kulkarni K, Weine, D, and Maltz, C:Klebsiella Oxytoca and Antibiotic-Associated Hemorrhagic Colitis, The American Journal of Gastroenterology,(2008); 103 S226.
42. Maltz C, Sonoda, T, and Yantiss, R: Endometriosis causing ileocecal intussusception, Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, (2008);67(2):352-3.
41. Maltz, C: Diagnosis of Colitis: Making the initial diagnosis, Clin Gastro and Hep Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. (2007);5(12):1493.
40. Weitzman G, and Maltz C: Epiphrenic diverticulum, Endoscopy. (2006); 38(S 5):E11.
39. Bosworth BP, Sanders A, and Maltz C: Common variable immunodeficiency masquerading as Crohn's ileo-colitis, Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, (2006);12:151-152.
38. Weitzman G, and Maltz C: What is in store for your Crohn's patient? Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, (2006);40:93-95.
37. Kazam J, Coll D, and Maltz C: CT in the diagnosis of esophageal foreign body, Amer. J. Emer. Medicine 23:897-898, 2005.
36. Maltz C: Esophageal pseudodiverticuosis, Clin. Gastro. and Hep., December 2005.
35. Kim MK, Petrovic L, and Maltz C: Metastatic hepatocellular carcinoma, Journal of Hepatology: 41(4) 684 2004.
34. Rhee KY, Soave R, and Maltz C: Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus Aureus as a Cause of Antibiotic associated Diarrhea, Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology:38(3):299-300 2004.
33. Maltz C: Dosage of intravenous pantoprazole, The American Journal of Gastroenterology:98(12) 2803-2805 2003.
32. Vernace S, and Maltz, C: Ascaris lumbricoides in the Stomach. Endoscopy:35(8):718 2003.
31. Purow D, Merrick ST, Eachempati SR and Maltz C: Mycobacterium avium-intracellulare infection as the cause of a sinus tract between mesenteric nodes and the stomach, American Journal of Gastroenterology 97: S177, 2002.
30. Maltz C: Ulcerative colitis, Emergency Medicine 34: No.6 43-48, 2002.
29. Purow D, and Maltz C: Superior mesenteric arteriovenous fistula; A rare cause of Esophageal Variceal Bleeding, J. Clin Gastro, 35: 284-5, 2002.
28. Maltz C: Pancreatic cancer, Emergency Medicine 33: No. 12 47-49, 2001.
27. Maltz C, and Black A: Anorectal disorders, Emergency Medicine 33: No. 11 59-62, 2001.
26. Maltz C: Crohn's disease, Emergency Medicine 33: No. 6 47-49, 2001.
25. Sood A, and Maltz, C: Treating hepatitis C, Emergency Medicine 33: No. 3 66-73, 2001.
24. Black A, and Maltz C: Occult and obscure gastrointestinal bleeding, Emergency Medicine 33: No. 2 41-43, 2001.
23. Maltz C, Zimmerman, J., and Purow, D.: Colonic obstruction arising from biliary colonic fistula, Gastrointestinal Endoscopy 53: 776, 2001.
22. Maltz C: Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, Emergency Medicine 32: No. 12 35-37, 2000.
21. Maltz C: Benign Pneumoperitoneum and pneumotosis intestinalis, American Journal of Emergency Medicine 19: 242-243, 2001.
20. Maltz C: Twelve commonly asked questions about drug hepatotoxicity. Emergency Medicine 32; No.10 43-45,2000.
19. Maltz C: Helicobacter pylori infection. Emergency Medicine 32: No. 8 21-23, 2000.
18. Maltz C: Twelve commonly asked questions about Barrett's esophagus. Emergency Medicine 32: No. 6 21-23, 2000.
17. Maltz C: Crohn's Disease (letter). Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, 18(2): 180, 1994.
16. Maltz C: Hepatic Principles. Toxicologic Emergencies, Appleton and Lange, 4th edition 1990. L. Goldfrank, editor.
15. Maltz C: Proctosigmoidoscopy in the Emergency Dept. Diagnostic Testing in the Emergency Dept., Aspen Publications 1984. N. Flomenbaum and L. Goldfrank, editors.
14. Maltz C: Three bacterial sources of food poisoning. Hospital Physician, December 1983.
13. Maltz C: A differential for diarrhea. Emergency Medicine 13: 90-109,1981.
12. Maltz C, Lightdale CJ, Winawer SJ: Hepatocellular carcinoma: new directions in etiology. American Journal of Gastroenterology 74: 361-365, 1980.
11. Winawer SJ, Maltz C: Surgical treatment of pancreatic cancer. Selected summaries, Gastroenterology 78: 648-649, 1980.
10. Maltz C, Lightdale CJ: A new approach to the Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. Clinical Bulletin of the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center 9: 165-167, 1980.
9. Altman AR, Maltz C, Janowitz HD: Autoimmune hemolytic anemia in ulcerative colitis. Digestive Diseases & Sciences 24: 282-285, 1979.
8. Maltz C, Lightdale CJ: Staging laparoscopy for Hodgkins Disease. Lancet 2: 1200, 1978.
7. Maltz C: Abdominal mass in an elderly woman (letter). NEJM 299: 664, 1978.
6. Maltz C, Weinstein ND, Herschbach DR: Rotational polarization of reaction products and reprojection of angular momentum Molecular Physics 24: 133-150, 1972.
5. Chiang MM, Mahan BH, Maltz C: On the O2 -C2D2 reacton. Journal of Chemical Physics 57: 5114-5116, 1972.
4. Maltz C: Barrier to complex formation in the hydrogen atom-chloride molecule reaction. Chemical Physics Letters 9: 251-253, 1971.
3. Maltz C: Rotational excitation in reactive scattering. Ph.D. thesis, Harvard University 1969.
2. Maltz C: Polarizable-ion model for vibrationally excited alkali halides. Chemical Physics Letters 3: 707-710, 1969.
1. Maltz C, Herschbach DR: Preliminary report of rotational excitation of products of reactive scattering. Discussions Faraday Society 44: 176-178,1967.
Honors and Awards
Phi Beta Kappa,
Alpha Omega Alpha,
- Liver Disease
- Crohn's Disease
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Second Opinions
- Wireless Capsule Endoscopy
Contact and Practices
- Internal Medicine
- Emergency Medicine
- Ph.D., Harvard University, 1969
- M.D., University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 1975