Brian G Turner, M.D.
Dr. Brian Turner is a board certified gastroenterologist and advanced fellowship trained interventional gastroenterologist who is an Assistant Attending Physician at the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/ Weill Cornell Medical Center and Assistant Professor of Medicine at the Weill Medical College of Cornell University.
Dr. Turner is a passionate physician who is committed to evidenced-based management of his patient's and is an active contributor to the field of gastroenterology through his research efforts. He received his doctorate degree from Harvard Medical School, completed his GI training at Massachusetts General Hospital, and advanced endoscopic training at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. His training includes an expertise in interventional gastroenterology and he also maintains an equally strong interest in general gastroenterology.
He is the recipient of a Harvard Catalyst Grant to fund research applications of flexible endoscopy and his significant laboratory efforts have also been funded by the Center for Integration of Medicine and Innovative Technology (CIMIT). He has published numerous academic articles pertaining to endoscopic surgical research, pancreatic cysts, pancreatic cancer diagnosis, and innovative applications of endoscopic ultrasound.
A major focus of his academic and clinic work includes the management of pancreatic cystic lesions, as well as diagnostic and therapeutic interventions for suspected and established pancreatic and biliary disease.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please feel free to contact this physician or this physician's practice as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [HMO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Health Plan
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- GHI [CBP]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- United Empire
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
1. Christensen AM, Massiah MA, Turner BG, Sundquist WI, Summers MF. Three-Dimensional Structure of the HTLV-II Matrix Protein and Comparative Analysis of Matrix Proteins from the Different Classes of Pathogenic Human Retroviruses. Journal of Molecular Biology. Dec 1996; 264: 1117-1131.
2. Lee BM, DeGuzman RN, Turner BG, Tjandra N, Summers MF. Dynamical Behavior of the HIV-1 Nucleocapsid Protein. Journal of Molecular Biology Jun 1998; 279: 633-649.
3. Turner BG, Rhea JT, Novelline RA. Utilization of Imaging in the Evaluation of Facial Trauma: Comparison of 1992 vs. 2002. American Journal of Roentgenology. Sep 2004; 183: 751-754.
4. Mack JW, Hilden JM, Watterson J, Moore C., Turner BG, Grier HE, Week JC, Wolfe J. Parent and Physician Perspectives on Quality of Care at the End of Life in Children With Cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology. Dec 2005; 23: 9155 – 9161.
5. Turner BG, Saltzman JR, Hua L, Maurer R, Carr-Locke DL, Burakoff R, Liu JJ. Endoscopic pH Monitoring for Patients with Suspected or Refractory Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease. Cdn Journal of Gastroenterology. Nov 2007; 21: 737-741.
6. Dussel JW, Kreicbergs U, Hilden JM, Watterson J, Moore C., Turner BG, Weeks JC, Wolfe J. Looking Beyond Where Children Die: Determinants and Effects of Planning a Child's Location of death. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. Jan 2009; 37(1): 33-43.
7. Turner BG, Cizginer S, Agarwal D, Yang J, Pitman M, Brugge WB. Diagnosis of Pancreatic Neoplasia with EUS-FNA: A Report of the Accuracy. Gastrointest Endosc. Jan 2010; 71(1): 91-98.
8. Huang ES, Turner BG, Brugge WR, Hur C. Pancreatic Cystic Lesions: Clinical Predictors of Malignancy in Patients Undergoing Surgery. Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics. Jan 2010; 31(2):285-94.
9. Turner BG, Gee DW, Cizginer S, Konuk Y, Karaca C, Willingham FF, Mino-Kenudson M., Morse C., Rattner DW, Brugge WR. Feasibility of Endoscopic Transesophageal Thoracic Sympathectomy (with Video). Gastrointest Endosc. Jan 2010; 71(1): 171-175. (Cover Article)
10. Sohn DK, Turner BG, Gee DW, Willingham FF, Sylla P, Cizginer S, Konuk Y, Brugge WR, Rattner DW. Reducing the Unexpectedly High Rate of Injuries Caused by NOTES Gastrotomy Creation. Surg Endosc. Feb 2010; 24(2): 277-82.
11. Turner BG (co-first author), Karaca C, Cizginer, S, Forcione D, Brugge WR. The Accuracy of EUS in the Evaluation of Gastric Subepithelial Lesions. Gastrointest Endosc. Apr 2010;71(4): 722-7.
12. Willingham FF, Turner BG, Gee DW, Sohn DK, Cizginer S, Kambadakone A, Sylla P, Sahani D, Mino-Kenudson M, Rattner DW, Brugge WR. The Leaks & Endoscopic Assessment of BreaK of Integrity after a NOTES Gastrotomy (LEAKING) Study, a Prospective Randomized Controlled Trial: Initial Results. Gastrointest Endosc. May 2010; 71(6): 1018-24.
13. Sylla P, Sohn DK, Cizginer S, Konuk Y, Turner BG, Gee DW, Willingham FF, Hsu M, Mino-Kenudson M, Brugge W, Rattner D. Survival Study of NOTES Rectosigmoid Resection Using Transanal Endoscopic Microsurgery (TEM) with or without Transgastric Assistance in a Swine Model. Surg Endosc. Aug 2010; 24(8): 2022-30.
14. Turner BG, Gee DW, Cizginer S, Kim MC, Konuk Y, Mino-Kenudson M, Sylla P, Brugge WR, Rattner DW. Endoscopic Transesophageal Mediastinal Lymph Node Dissection and En bloc Resection using Mediastinal and Thoracic Approaches (with Video). Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. 2010 Oct;72(4):831-5. (Cover Article)
15. Pitman, MB, Genevay, M, Yaeger, K, Chebib, I, Turner, BG, Mino-Kenudson, M, Brugge, WR. High Grade Atypical Epithelial Cells in Pancreatic Mucinous Cysts are a More Accurate Predictor of Malignancy than "Positive" Cytology. Cancer Cytopathol. Cancer Cytopathol. Dec 2010;118(6): 434-40.
16. Turner BG, Kim MC, Cizginer S, Mino-Kenudson M, Sylla P, Brugge WR, Rattner DW, Gee DW. Stent Placement Provides Safe Esophageal Closure in Thoracic NOTESÒ Procedures. Surg Endosc. Mar 2011;25(3):913-8.
17. Karaca C, Cizginer S, Konuk Y, Kambadokane A, Turner BG, Mino-Kenudson M, Sahani D, Brugge WR. Feasibility of endoscopic ultrasound-guided Irinotecan loaded bead injection into the pig pancreas. Gastrointest Endosc. Mar 2011;73(3):603-6.
18. Turner, BG, Gee DW, Cizginer S, Kim MC, Konuk Y, Mino-Kenudson M, Sylla P, Rattner DW, Brugge WR. A Prospective Randomized Trial of Esophageal Submucosal Tunnel Closure with a Stent Versus No Closure to Secure a Transesophageal NOTES Access Site. Gastrointest Endosc. Apr 2011; 73(4): 785-90.
19. Mino-Kenudson M, Fernández-del Castillo C, Baba Y, Hsu M, Correa C, Ingkakul T, Perez Johnston R, Turner BG, Androutsopoulos V, McGrath D, Deshpande V, Sahani DV, Brugge WR, Ogino S, Pitman MB, Warshaw AL, Thayer S. Prognosis of Invasive Intraductal Papillary Mucinous Neoplasm Depends on Histologic and Precursor Epithelial Subtypes. Gut 2011. Jun 10. [Epub ahead of print]
20. Cizginer, S, Turner, BG, Bilge AR, Karaca C, Pitman MB, Brugge WR. Cyst Fluid CEA is an Accurate Marker of Pancreatic Mucinous Cysts. Pancreas 2011. Jul 14.
1. Turner BG, Summers, MF. Structural Biology of HIV. Journal of Molecular Biology Jan 1999; 285: 1- 32. (Cover Article)
2. Turner BG, Gee DW. Natural Orifice Transesophageal Thoracoscopic Surgery: A Review of the Current State. World J Gastrointest Endosc. Jan 2010; 2(1): 3-9.
3. Turner BG, Brugge WR. Pancreatic Cystic Lesions: When to Watch, When to Operate, and When to Ignore. Curr Gastroenterology Rep. Apr 2010; 12(2): 98-105.
4. Turner, BG, Brugge, WR. Diagnostic and Therapeutic Approaches to IPMN. World J Gastrointest Surg. October 2010; 2(10): 299-305.
1. Turner BG, Brugge, WR. (2009) "Challenges in the Imaging of
Pancreatic Cystic Lesions," American Gastroenterological
Association (AGA) Perspectives; Volume 5, Number 5, Oct/Nov
1. Turner BG, Brugge, WR. "Cysts and Pseudo Cysts of the Pancreas." The Textbook of Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology. Eds. Joel Richter, Francis Chan. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell, 2009. In press, September 2011.
Honors and Awards
2010 - First Prize, Best Oral Presentation, New England Endoscopy Society Research Conference
2010 - Harvard Catalyst Grant, Co-investigator, Harvard Clinical and Translational Science Center
- Radiofrequency Ablation (RFA) of Barrett's Esophagus
- Endoscopic Ultrasound of Pancreas With Biopsy of Pancreatic Lesion
- Endoscopic Ultrasound-Guided Intramural Fine Needle Aspiration of Esophagus
- Endoscopic Ultrasound of Pancreas
- Endoscopic Ultrasound of Esophagus
- Diagnostic Endoscopic Ultrasound Examination of Peritoneum and Biopsy of Intraabdominal Organ
- Endoscopic Ultrasonography (EUS)
- ERCP (Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography)
- ERCP With Balloon Dilation of Ampulla, Biliary, and Pancreatic Duct
- ERCP With Stent Insertion into Bile Duct
- Therapeutic Biliary and Pancreatic Endoscopy
- Pancreatic Disease
- Pancreatic Cyst
- Barrett's Esophagus
- Radiation Proctitis
- Stricture and Stenosis of Esophagus
- XR Fluoro Guided Endoscopic Insertion of Esophageal Stent
- Colon Cancer Screening and Prevention
- Gastrointestinal Bleeding
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease
- Gastrointestinal Cancer Prevention
Contact and Practices
- Internal Medicine
- M.D., Harvard Medical School, 2004