Bhumika Desai, M.D.
I am a passionate physician with a strong commitment to my patients. To me, there is nothing more rewarding than seeing a child smile after recovering from an illness, to be a part of that recovery is a privilege and the reason that I became a Pediatrician.
Bhumika Desai immigrated to the New Jersey as a teenager and since then has lived in New Jersey. At a young age she discovered her love for science which led her to pursue a degree from Rutgers the State University of New Jersey -New Brunswick , where she graduated Cum Laude with a Bachelors of Arts in Cell Biology and Neuroscience. She then went on to pursue her medical doctorate at St. George's University School of Medicine.
It was during this time that her passion for pediatrics began to emerge. Working as part of the medical school chapter of World Health Organization, she helped create and coordinate two local projects that provided nutrition and dental treatment to the children in two local orphanages in Grenada. Her love for children led her to the Children's Hospital of New Jersey at Newark Beth Israel Medical Center where she completed her residency in General Pediatrics. As a resident, Dr. Desai focused on improving parent-physician relationship and empowering parents; many of her quality improvement projects and outreach projects focused on educating parents, thereby improving the bond between provider and caregiver.
Dr. Desai is skilled at all aspects of General Pediatrics including newborn care, child development and adolescent medicine.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [HMO]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Republic
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- United Health Care
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [Medicare]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [HMO]
Honors and Awards
- 2007. Honors, Dept of Cell Biology and Neuroscience, Rutgers University
- 2007. Phi Beta Kappa Honors Society Member
- 2004. National Society of Collegiate Scholars
- 2003. National Honors Society
- 2003. Edward J Bloustein Distinguished Scholar
- B.A., Rutgers-The State University of New Jersey, 2007
- M.D., St. George's University School of Medicine (Grenada), 2011