Arash Salemi, M.D.
It takes a significant amount of multidisciplinary coordination of care to deliver cutting-edge cardiac surgical therapy to the patients we serve. Under Dr. Isom's leadership, our department has performed for many years at a remarkably high level. Innovative technologies and techniques are responsibly implemented with the patients' best interests in mind. Our commitment to doing so distinguishes the Weill Cornell program.
I am proud to be part of a team that achieves outstanding outcomes by providing the best possible therapies for the widest selection of patients.
Dr. Arash Salemi is an Associate Professor of Cardiothoracic Surgery in the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery at New York Presbyterian-Weill Cornell Medical Center.
Dr. Salemi completed his undergraduate studies at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1993 where he obtained a degree in molecular biology. He pursued his medical education at Cornell University Medical College where he was elected to the Alpha Omega Alpha honor society in 1996. He subsequently completed his residency in both General Surgery and Cardiothoracic Surgery at New York Presbyterian Hospital/Cornell Medical Center. Dr. Salemi went on to complete a fellowship at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation in cardiovascular surgery, specializing in valve repair, before returning to Cornell to assume his present position at the medical center under Dr. O. Wayne Isom.
Dr. Salemi has completed postgraduate specialty training in endovascular surgery at the University of Paris in France and at the University Vita Salute-San Raffaele in Milan, Italy.
Dr. Salemi is a member of many medical societies including the Society of Thoracic Surgeons, the Heart Valve Society of America, and the American College of Surgeons. He has many publications on topics in cardiovascular surgery and has presented both nationally and internationally.
Dr. Salemi has a special interest in minimally invasive alternatives in cardiac surgery.
He and his wife Jessica have three children and reside in New York City.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- AETNA [HMO]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Fidelis Care
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [CHP]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Health Republic
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- United Health Care
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [HMO]
Gulkarov I, Bustillos L, Wong SC, Salemi A. A Hybrid Approach in the Treatment of Post-myocardial Infarction Ventricular Septal Defect. Cardiology (in press).
Salemi A, Lee B, Ivascu N, Webber G, Paul S. An Unusual Case of Cardiac Tamponade: Ruptured Subaortic Diverticulum. J Card Surg 2010;25:349-350.
Worley MJ, Aelion A, Caputo TA, Kent KC, Salemi A, Krieger KH, Goldstein MJ, Kuo DY, Slomowitz BM. Intravenous leiomyomatosis with intracardiac extension : a single-institution experience. American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology 2009; 201: 574.e1-5.
Salemi A, Shirazi A. Specific Gastrointestinal Complications after Mitral Valve Surgery and Prognosis. Iranian American Medical Association 4th Mtg. Los Angeles, CA. January 17, 2010.
Ugras SK, Finley DJ, Salemi A. Ascaris Lumbricoides Infection Causing Respiratory Distress After Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting. Surgical Infections; 10 (4) October, 2009.
Trocciola S, Girardi LN, Krieger KH, Isom OW, Salemi A. Gender Differences in the Management of Isolated Degenerative Mitral Valve Disease. Society for Heart Valve Disease. Berlin, Germany. June 29, 2009.
Bacchetta, MD, Salemi A, Milla F. et al. Low-Dose Spironolactone: Effects on Artery-to-Artery Vein Grafts and Percutaneous Coronary Intervention Sites American Journal of Therapeutics; 16(3):204-214, May/June 2009.
Catanzaro D, Borer JS, Yu F, Ene, Hochreiter CA, Herrold E, Supino PG, Carter JN, Salemi A, Girardi LN, Isom OW. Disease-Specific and Sex-inependent Clustering of Myocardial Gene Expression Patterns in Human Aortic Valvular Disease. American College of Cardiology. March 10, 2009.
Gillinov, Blackstone, Alaulaqi, Sabik, Mihaljevic, Svensson, Houghtaling, Salemi, Johnston, Lytle. Outcomes After Repair of the Anterior Mitral Leaflet for Degenerative Disease. Ann Thor Surg 2008; 86: 708-17.
Trocciola SM, Girardi LN, Shirazi A, Rossettie J, Krieger KH, Isom OW, Salemi A. Predictors of Tracheostomy after Mitral Valve Surgery. American College of Chest Physicians. Philadelphia, PA. October, 2008.
S Trocciola, C Yokoyama, L Bedrosian, L Girardi, K Krieger, OW Isom, A Salemi. Analysis of risk factors associated with gastrointestinal complications after mitral valve surgery. American College of Surgeons. San Francisco, CA, October, 2008.
Honors and Awards
"America's Top Surgeons" -2007-2010
Research Council of America
George N. Papanicolaou Fellow in Clinical Anatomy
Alpha Omega Alpha
National Institutes of Health Medical Research Fellowship
Westinghouse Science Research Semi-finalist
- Thoracic Surgery
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Heart Surgery
- Surgery, Thoracic Cardiovascular
- Cardiac Surgery
- Transcatheter Heart Valve Surgery
- Aortic and Mitral Valve Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Adult Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Heart Failure
- Cardiac Valve Surgery
- Heart Valve Repair
- Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery
- Mitral Valve Repair
- Off Pump Coronary Bypass Surgery
- Heart Valve Surgery
- Adult Congenital Heart Disease
- Aneurysm Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery
- Thoracic Aneurysms and Dissections
- Aneurysm Repair
- Thoracoabdominal Aortic Aneurysm Surgery
- Mitral/Aortic Valve Replacement
- Mitral Valve Surgery
- Cardiac Valve Replacement
- Aneurysm Repair, Aortic
- Thoracic/Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Aneurysm Repair
- Aortic Aneurysm
- Aortic Dissection
- Aortic Valve Surgery
- Arterial/Aortic Aneurysm Surgery
- Coronary Artery Bypass
- Bloodless Surgery
- Mitral Valve Reconstruction
- Open Heart Surgery
- Thoracic Aneurysm
- Thoraco Abdominal Aneurysm
- Thoracic Aneurysm Repair
- Thoracic Aneurysm Surgery
- Percutaneous Valve Interventions
- Surgery, Thoracic
- M.D., Cornell University Medical College, 1997