Anton Orlin, M.D.
Anton Orlin, MD, is an Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology at Weill Cornell Medical College and an Attending Physician at the New York Presbyterian Hospital. Dr. Orlin is a board-certified ophthalmologist who specializes in Vitreoretinal Diseases and Surgery; a specialty requiring two years of additional training after ophthalmology residency focusing solely on diagnosing and managing diseases of the vitreous and retina. He completed his two year Vitreoretinal fellowship training at Weill Cornell Medical College/New York Presbyterian Hospital.
Dr. Orlin graduated magna cum laude from the University of Rochester in New York. He attended medical school at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and completed his residency training at the Scheie Eye Institute, Department of Ophthalmology at the University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine. During his residency, Dr. Orlin was one of four residents nationwide picked to present his retinal research at the annual AUPO (Association of University Professors of Ophthalmology) meeting. He serves as a scientific reviewer to several major journals and has participated as a co-investigator in numerous clinical trials and laboratory investigations. Although Dr. Orlin has remained actively involved in medical research and education, his primary focus is to provide compassionate and excellent clinical and surgical care to his patients.
His clinical interests focus on diseases and surgery of the retina and vitreous including macular surgery, epiretinal membrane peeling and macular hole surgery, retinal detachment, age-related macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, retinal vascular occlusions, infectious retinitis and uveitis, ocular tumors, ocular trauma, pediatric retinal disease including retinopathy of prematurity. Dr. Orlin is currently accepting new patients. Appointments can be made by calling 646-962-2020, or by visiting http://weillcornelleye.org/.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please feel free to contact this physician or this physician's practice as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
- AETNA [HMO]
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Fidelis Care
- GHI [CBP]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [CHP]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Health Republic
- Medicare [Medicare]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- United Health Care
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [HMO]
1. Schuettauf F, Vorwerk C, Naskar R, Orlin A, Quinto K, Zurakowski D, Dejneka NS, Klein RL, Meyer EM, Bennett J: Adeno-Associated Viruses Containing bFGF or BDNF are Neuroprotective Against Excitotoxicity. Curr Eye Res. 2004 Dec;29(6):379-86.
2. Deng S, Moore DJ, Huang X, Mohiuddin M, Lee M.K, Velidedeoglu E, Lian MM, Chiaccio M, Sonawane S, Orlin A, Wang J, Chen H, Caton A, Zhong R, Markmann JF: Antibody-induced Transplantation Tolerance that is Dependent on Thymus-derived Regulatory T Cells. J Immunol. 2006 Mar 1;176(5):2799-807.
3. Bowen FW, Civan J, Orlin A, Gleason T: Management of Type A Aortic Dissection and a Large Pheochromocytoma: A Surgical Dilemma. Ann Thorac Surg. 2006 Jun;81(6):2296-8.
4. Orlin A, Mills M, Ying G.S., Liu C: A Comparison of Hang-back with Conventional Recession Surgery for Exotropia. JAAPOS. 2007 Dec;11(6):597-600.
5. Orlin A, Orlin SE, Makar GA, Bunya VY: Presumed Corneal Copper Deposition and Oral Contraceptive Use. Cornea. 2010 Apr;29(4):476-8.
6. Hadley D, Orlin A, Brown GC, Brucker AJ, Ho AC, Regillo CD, Donoso LA, Tian L, Kaderli B, Stambolian DE: Analysis of Six Genetic Risk Factors Highly Associated with AMD in the Region Surrounding ARMS2 and HTRA1 on Chromosome 10q26. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2010 Apr;51(4):2191-6.
7. Chen W, Stambolian D, Edwards AO, Branham KE, Othman M, Jakobsdottir J, Tosakulwong N, Pericak-Vance MA, Campochiaro PA, Klein ML, Tan PL, Conley YP, Kanda A, Kopplin L, Li Y, Augustaitis KJ, Karoukis AJ, Scott WK, Agarwal A, Kovach JL, Schwartz SG, Postel EA, Brooks M, Baratz KH, Brown WL: Complications of Age-Related Macular Degeneration Prevention Trial Research Group, Brucker AJ, Orlin A, Brown G, Ho A, Regillo C, Donoso L, Tian L, Kaderli B, Hadley D, Hagstrom SA, Peachey NS, Klein R, Klein BE, Gotoh N, Yamashiro K, Ferris Iii F, Fagerness JA, Reynolds R, Farrer LA, Kim IK, Miller JW, Cortón M, Carracedo A, Sanchez-Salorio M, Pugh EW, Doheny KF, Brion M, Deangelis MM, Weeks DE, Zack DJ, Chew EY, Heckenlively JR, Yoshimura N, Iyengar SK, Francis PJ, Katsanis N, Seddon JM, Haines JL, Gorin MB, Abecasis GR, Swaroop A: Genetic Variants Near TIMP3 and High-density Lipoprotein-associated Loci Influence Susceptibility to Age-related Macular Degeneration. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010 Apr 20;107(16):7401-6.
8. McKay GJ, Silvestri G, Chakravarthy U, Dasari S, Fritsche LG, Weber BH, Keilhauer CN, Klein ML, Francis PJ, Klaver CC, Vingerling JR, Ho L, De Jong PT, Dean M, Sawitzke J, Baird PN, Guymer RH, Stambolian D, Orlin A, Seddon JM, Peter I, Wright AF, Hayward C, Lotery AJ, Ennis S, Gorin MB, Weeks DE, Kuo CL, Hingorani AD, Sofat R, Cipriani V, Swaroop A, Othman M, Kanda A, Chen W, Abecasis GR, Yates JR, Webster AR, Moore AT, Seland JH, Rahu M, Soubrane G, Tomazzoli L, Topouzis F, Vioque J, Young IS, Fletcher AE, Patterson CC: Variations in Apolipoprotein E Frequency With Age in a Pooled Analysis of a Large Group of Older People. Am J Epidemiol. 2011 Jun 15;173(12):1357-64.
9. McKay GJ, Patterson CC, Chakravarthy U, Dasari S, Klaver CC, Vingerling JR, Ho L, De Jong P, Fletcher AE, Young IS, Seland JH, Rahu M, Soubrane G, Tomazzoli L, Topouzis F, Vioque J, Hingorani AD, Sofat R, Dean M, Sawitzke J, Seddon JM, Peter I, Webster AR, Moore AT, Yates JRW, Cipriani V, Fritsche LG, Weber BHF, Keilhaurer CN, Lotery AJ, Ennis S, Klein ML, Francis PJ, Stambolian D, Orlin A, Gorin MB, Weeks DE, Kuo CL, Swaroop A, Othman M, Kanda A, Chen W, Abecasis GR, Wright AF, Hayward C, Baird PN, Guymer RH, Attia J, Thakkinstian A, Silvestri G: Evidence of Association of APOE with Age-Related Macular Degeneration – A Pooled Analysis of 15 Studies. Hum Mutat. 2011 Dec;32(12):1407-16
10. Choudhry N, Orlin A, Bilaniuk L, Maguire AM. Cerebroretinal Microangiopathy: A Case of Occlusive Telangiectasias. Accepted for publication in the Journal of the American Association for Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus. J AAPOS. 2011 Oct;15(5):502-3
11. Orlin A, Hadley D, Chang W, Ho AC, Brown G, Kaiser RS, Godshalk AN, Lier A, Kaderli B, Stambolian D: Association between High Risk Disease Loci and Response to Anti-Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor Treatment for Wet Age-Related Macular Degeneration. Retina. 2012 Jan;32(1):4-9
12. Orlin A, Chan RP, Freund KB: Diagnostic and Therapeutic Challenges. Retina. 2012 Oct;32(9):1988-93
13. Fritsche LG, Chen W, Schu M, Yaspan BL, Yu Y, Thorleifsson G, Zack DJ, Arakawa S, Cipriani V, Ripke S, Igo RP Jr, Buitendijk GH, Sim X, Weeks DE, Guymer RH, Merriam JE, Francis PJ, Hannum G, Agarwal A, Armbrecht AM, Audo I, Aung T, Barile GR, Benchaboune M, Bird AC, Bishop PN, Branham KE, Brooks M, Brucker AJ, Cade WH, Cain MS, Campochiaro PA, Chan CC, Cheng CY, Chew EY, Chin KA, Chowers I, Clayton DG, Cojocaru R, Conley YP, Cornes BK, Daly MJ, Dhillon B, Edwards AO, Evangelou E, Fagerness J, Ferreyra HA, Friedman JS, Geirsdottir A, George RJ, Gieger C, Gupta N, Hagstrom SA, Harding SP, Haritoglou C, Heckenlively JR, Holz FG, Hughes G, Ioannidis JP, Ishibashi T, Joseph P, Jun G, Kamatani Y, Katsanis N, N Keilhauer C, Khan JC, Kim IK, Kiyohara Y, Klein BE, Klein R, Kovach JL, Kozak I, Lee CJ, Lee KE, Lichtner P, Lotery AJ, Meitinger T, Mitchell P, Mohand-Saïd S, Moore AT, Morgan DJ, Morrison MA, Myers CE, Naj AC, Nakamura Y, Okada Y, Orlin A, Ortube MC, Othman MI, Pappas C, Park KH, Pauer GJ, Peachey NS, Poch O, Priya RR, Reynolds R, Richardson AJ, Ripp R, Rudolph G, Ryu E, Sahel JA, Schaumberg DA, Scholl HP, Schwartz SG, Scott WK, Shahid H, Sigurdsson H, Silvestri G, Sivakumaran TA, Smith RT, Sobrin L, Souied EH, Stambolian DE, Stefansson H, Sturgill-Short GM, Takahashi A, Tosakulwong N, Truitt BJ, Tsironi EE, Uitterlinden AG, van Duijn CM, Vijaya L, Vingerling JR, Vithana EN, Webster AR, Wichmann HE, Winkler TW, Wong TY, Wright AF, Zelenika D, Zhang M, Zhao L, Zhang K, Klein ML, Hageman GS, Lathrop GM, Stefansson K, Allikmets R, Baird PN, Gorin MB, Wang JJ, Klaver CC, Seddon JM, Pericak-Vance MA, Iyengar SK, Yates JR, Swaroop A, Weber BH, Kubo M, Deangelis MM, Léveillard T, Thorsteinsdottir U, Haines JL, Farrer LA, Heid IM, Abecasis GR; AMD Gene Consortium. Seven new loci associated with age-related macular degeneration. Nat Genet. 2013 Apr;45(4):433-9, 439e1-2
14. Kang KB, Orlin A, Lee TC, Chiang MF, Chan RVPC. The Use of Digital Imaging in the Identification of Skip Areas After Laser Treatment for Retinopathy of Prematurity and Its Implications for Education and Patient Care. Retina. 2013 Apr 23 [epub ahead of print]
15. Orlin A, Fatoo A, Ehrlich J, D'Amico DJ, Chan RP, Kiss S. Ultra-widefield fluorescein angiography of white without pressure. Clin Ophthalmol. 2013;7:959-64
16. Orlin A, Sondhi D, Witmer MT, Wessel MM, Mezey JG, Kaminsky SM, Hackett NR, Yohay K, Kosofsky B, Souweidane MM, Kaplitt MG, D’Amico DJ, Crystal RG, Kiss S. Ocular Manifestations of Late Infantile Neuronal Ceroid Lipofuscinosis: Development of an Ophthalmic Scale and Correlation with Neurological Function. In revision, PLOS ONE.
17. Orlin A, Jonsson N, Nissen M, Lee S, Kiss S, D’Amico DJ, Chan RVP. Pars Plana Vitrectomy Compared with Pars Plana Vitrectomy Combined with Scleral Buckle in the Primary Management of Non-Complex Rhegmatogenous Retinal Detachment. In revision, Retina
18. Orlin A, Parlitsis G, Chan RVP, D’Amico DJ, Kiss S. A Comparison of Same Setting Versus Delayed Vitrectomy in the Management of Retained Lens Fragments following Cataract Surgery. In progress
Honors and Awards
January 2010 Association of University Professors of Ophthalmology (AUPO) Residency Research Forum Award Recipient
- Retina Degeneration
- Retinal Laser Photocoagulation
- Retinal Photography
- Retinal and Vitreous Disorder
- Diabetic Retinal Exams
- Pediatric Retina Problems
- Retinal Consultations
- Retinal Surgery
- Detached Retina Repair
Contact and Practices
- B.A., University of Rochester, 2002
- M.D., University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 2006