Alan Groves, M.D., M.B., Ch.B.
I am committed to providing the very best care for all newborn infants, giving them the opportunity to have happy, healthy lives. As the very high standard of care that we are able to deliver today is rooted in research advances, I am also committed to learning from our current generation of infants so that tomorrow’s babies can benefit from yet greater understanding of the science of newborn care.
Dr Groves is an Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at Weill Cornell Medical Medical College and an Attending Pediatrician at the New York-Presbyterian Phyllis and David Komansky Center for Children's Health/Weill Cornell Medical Center.
He received his medical degree from the University of Edinburgh (1996) and undertook postgraduate pediatric training in the UK in Edinburgh, Liverpool and Newcastle. He then spent two years completing a research degree in neonatal echocardiography at the University of Auckland, New Zealand, before returning to the UK to complete specialist training in neonatal medicine at St Mary’s and Queen Charlotte’s and Chelsea Hospitals in London.
After completing his training, Dr Groves worked as an attending consultant in Neonatal Medicine at Queen Charlotte’s and Chelsea Hospital, before being awarded an MRC Clinician Scientist Fellowship (2008-2012) to develop cardiac magnetic resonance imaging and advanced ultrasound techniques in newborns with Imperial College. In 2012 he moved to King’s College London as part of Professor David Edwards’ Department of Perinatal Imaging, where he was appointed Head of Cardiovascular Imaging.
His research training and subsequent research has been related to identifying optimal methods to monitor circulatory function in newborn infants, with a particular focus on magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and echocardiography.
Articles published in professional peer-reviewed journals -
- Groves A, Cameron H, Barrett M. Intra-abdominal lymphangioma: further images of prenatal diagnosis, Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology 2003;22:97-98
- Groves A, Clough V, Stevens R. Neonatal alloimmune thrombocytopenia may be less severe in a subsequent pregnancy,. Pediatric Hematology and Oncology 2003;20:393-398
- Groves A, Briggs K, Kuschel C, Harding J. Predictors of chronic lung disease in the ‘CPAP era’, Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health 2004;40:290-4
- Groves A, Kuschel C, Battin M.Neonatal long lines: Localisation with colour Doppler ultrasonography, Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2005;90:F5
- Groves AM, Kuschel C, Knight D, Skinner J. Cardiorespiratory stability during echocardiography in preterm infants. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2005;90:86-87
- West C, Groves A, Williams C, Harding J, Skinner J, Kuschel C, Battin M. Early low cardiac output is associated with compromised electroencephalographic activity in very preterm infants. Pediatric Research 2006;59:610-615
- Groves AM, Kuschel C, Knight D, Skinner J. The relationship between blood pressure and blood flow in newborn preterm infants. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 2008 Jan;93(1):F29-32
- Groves AM, Kuschel C, Knight D, Skinner J. Echocardiographic assessment of blood flow volume in the SVC and descending aorta in the newborn infant. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 2008 Jan;93(1):F24-8
- Groves AM, Kuschel C, Knight D, Skinner J. Does Retrograde Diastolic Flow in the Descending Aorta Signify Impaired Systemic Perfusion in Preterm Infants. Pediatr Res 2008 Jan;63(1):89-94.
- Kuschel CA; Bach KP; Webster NJ; Page B; Groves AM; Battin MR. The reliability of 2D and colour Doppler ultrasound in localising longline position. J Paediatr Child Health. 2008;44:483-487.
- Foran A; Cinnante C; Groves AM; Azzopardi DV; Rutherford MA; Cowan FM. Patterns of brain injury and outcome in term neonates presenting with postnatal collapse. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed, 2008, 94:F168-F177
- Morris AE, Pauliah S, Groves AM, Thomson MA, A Edwards AD. Multiple cerebral gaseous emboli in an infant with fulminant necrotising enterocolitis. BMJ Case Reports 2010; doi:10.1136/bcr.09.2008.0928
- Merchant N; Groves A; Larkman DJ; Counsell SJ; Thomson MA; Doria V; Groppo M; Arichi T; Foreman S, Herlihy DJ, Hajnal JV, Srinivasan L, Foran A, Rutherford M, Edwards AD, Boardman JP. A patient care system for early 3.0 Tesla magnetic resonance imaging of very low birth weight infants. Early Hum Dev. 2009,85:779-783
- Groves AM; Chiesa G; Durighel G; Goldring ST; Fitzpatrick JA; Uribe S; Razavi R; Hajnal JV; Edwards AD. Functional cardiac MRI in preterm and term newborns. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2011,96:F86-F91.
- Li D, Jeyaprakash V, Foreman SM and Groves AM. Comparing oxygen targeting in preterm infants between the Masimo and Philips pulse oximeters. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2012;97:F311-F312
- Varela M, Groves AM, Arichi T, Hajnal JV. Mean Cerebral Blood Flow Estimates using Phase Contrast MRI in Infants under One Year of Age. NMR in Biomedicine. 2012;25:1063-1072
- Groves AM, Durighel G, Finnemore A, Tusor N, Merchant N, Razavi R, Hajnal JV, Edwards AD. Disruption of Intracardiac Flow Patterns in the Newborn Infant. Pediatric Research. 2012;71:380-385
- Price AN, Malik SJ, Broadhouse KM, Finnemore AE, Durighel G, Cox DJ, Edwards AD, Groves AM and Hajnal JV. Active Frequency Stabilisation for Prolonged Balanced SSFP Imaging: Application to 3T Neonatal Cardiac MRI. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine. 2013;70:776–784
- Broadhouse KM; Price AN; Durighel G; Cox DJ; Finnemore AE; Edwards AD; Hajnal JV; Groves AM. Assessment of PDA shunt and systemic blood flow in newborns using cardiac MRI. NMR Biomed. 2013;26:1135-41
- Arichi T; Gordon-Williams R; Allievi A; Groves A; Burdet E; Edwards A. Computer-controlled stimulation for functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging studies of the Neonatal Olfactory system. Acta Paediatr. 2013;102:868-75
- Ficial B, Finnemore AE, Cox DJ, Broadhouse KM, Price AN, Durighel G, Ekitzidou G, Hajnal JV, Edwards AD, Groves AM. Validation Study on the Accuracy of Echocardiographic Measurements of Systemic Blood Flow Volume in Newborn Infants. Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography, In Press.
- Finnemore A, Toulmin H, Merchant N, Arichi T, Tusor N, Cox D, Ederies A, Nongena P, Edwards AD, Groves A. Chloral Hydrate Sedation for Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Newborn Infants. Pediatric Anesthesia, In Press.
Invited Publications and Editorials -
- Groves A, Kuschel C, Skinner J. International Perspectives - The neonatologist as an echocardiographer. NeoReviews 2006;7:e391
- Evans N; Gournay V; Cabanas F; Kluckow M; Leone T; Groves A; McNamara P; Mertens L. Point-of-care ultrasound in the neonatal intensive care unit: international perspectives. Semin Fetal Neonatal Med. 2011,16:61-68.
- Groves AM. Cardiac magnetic resonance in the study of neonatal haemodynamics. Semin Fetal Neonatal Med.2011,16:36-41.
- Groves AM; Edwards AD. Heart rate characteristic monitoring-HeRO or villain?. J Pediatr. 2011;159:885-886
- Cox D, Groves AM. Inotropes in preterm infants – evidence for and against. Acta Paediatrica. 2012;Suppl. 101:17-23
Books, book chapters and reviews.
Price AP, Groves AM. Cardiovascular magnetic resonance in the study of neonatal haemodynamics. Haemodynamics and Cardiology, Neonatology Questions and Controversies. Edited by Kleinman and Seri. Published by Elsevier Saunders, 2012.
1. Groves A, Ekitzidou G, Price A, Broadhouse K, Finnemore A, Cox D, Durighel G, Kooner G, Hajnal J, Edwards AD. MRI Validation of Echo Measures of Cardiac Contractility in the Newborn. Society for Pediatric Research, Boston, 2012
2. Groves A, Ekitzidou G, Price A, Broadhouse K, Finnemore A, Cox D, Durighel G, Hajnal J, Edwards AD. MRI Validation of Echo Measures of Systemic Blood Flow in the Newborn. Society for Pediatric Research, Boston, 2012
3. Broadhouse KM, Price AN, Durighel G, Finnemore AE, Cox DJ, Edwards AD, Hajnal JV, Groves AM. Cardiac MRI Quantification of PDA Shunt Volume in Newborns. Society for Pediatric Research, Boston, 2012
4. Cox DJ, Shi W, Groves AM, Price AN, Durighel G, Broadhouse KM, Finnemore AE, Hajnal JV, Edwards AD and Rueckert D. Co-Registration Of Cardiac Magnetic Resonance (CMR) Images From Preterm Infants: Pilot Work In Creating A Novel Neonatal Cardiac Atlas. Society for Pediatric Research, Boston, 2012
5. Gordon-Williams RM, Allievi A, Hayat T, Arichi T, Burdet E, Groves AM, Edwards AD. Computer-controlled Stimulator for functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging of the Neonatal Olfactory System. Society for Pediatric Research, Boston, 2012
6. Price AN, Malik SJ, Broadhouse KM, Finnemore AE, Durighel G, Cox DJ, Edwards AD, Groves AM and Hajnal JV. Active Frequency Stabilisation for Prolonged bSSFP Scanning: Application to Neonatal Cardiac MRI. ISMRM, Melbourne, Australia, 2012
7. Broadhouse K, Finnemore A, Durighel G, McGuinness A, Cox D, Price A, Hajnal J, Edwards AD, Groves A. Phase Contrast Magnetic Resonance Assessment Of Volume Of Abdominal Visceral Blood Flow In Newborn Infants. European Society for Paediatric Research, Newcastle, UK, 2011
8. Groves AM, Nicholson G, Lopez L. Repeatability Of Echocardiographic Measures Of Left Ventricular Function In The Paediatric Cardiology Out-Patient Clinic Setting. EuroEcho, Budapest, 2011
9. Price AN, Malik SJ, Broadhouse KM, Padormo F, Durighel G, Cox DJ, Edwards AD, Groves AM and Hajnal JV. Improved Cardiac MRI Of Preterm Infants Using Retrospective Cardiac And Respiratory Gating. ISMRM, Montreal, 2011
10. Varela M, Groves AM and Hajnal JV. Cerebral Blood Flow Measurements in Neonates using a Non-Invasive MRI Technique. SPR Vancouver 2010
11. Durighel G, Tusor N, Razavi R, Hajnal J, Edwards AD, Groves A. Four-dimensional phase contrast imaging demonstrates variability of intra-cardiac flow patterns in newborn infants. EuroCMR, Florence, 2010.
12. West CR, Groves AM, Harding JE, Williams CE, Kuschel CA, Skinner JR, Battin MR. Echocardiographic blood flow measures are associated with quantitative EEG measures in preterm infants in the first 48 hours after birth. European Society for Paediatric Research, Siena, 2005
Honors and Awards
- MRC Clinician Scientist, 2008-2012
- Member of the British Heart Foundation Centre for Research Excellence
- Fellow of the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health (UK)
- Perinatal Society of New Zealand Young Investigator Award, 2003
- Neonatal Hemodynamics
- Neonatal Intensive Care
- Assessment of Hemodynamics
- Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Imaging
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging
Contact and Practices
- B.Sc., University of Edinburgh (United Kingdom), 1994
- M.B.,Ch.B., University of Edinburgh Medical School (United Kingdom), 1996
- M.D., University of Auckland Medical School (New Zealand), 2007