Andrew B. Avarbock, M.D., Ph.D.
I believe effective medicine begins with providing a comfortable and friendly environment and explaining medical complexity in understandable terms. I work hard to deliver the best care possible to my patients, and am surrounded by staff and colleagues who share the same commitment. I'm excited to be part of a department that not only delivers excellent care but also contributes to the advances in dermatology.
Dr. Avarbock received his undergraduate education at the University of Pennsylvania, majoring in Biology, where he was both a University and Benjamin Franklin Scholar. He received his medical education at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine combined MD/PhD program. His PhD work focused on energy metabolism and characterizing biochemical pathways important for Mycobacterium tuberculosis survival.
Dr. Avarbock completed his internship in internal medicine at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York, and his dermatology residency at Columbia University/New York-Presbyterian Hospital. He serves as site director for Dermatology Consultations at NewYork-Presbyterian/Lower Manhattan Hospital. Dr. Avarbock has special research interests in infectious diseases and complex medical dermatology.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please feel free to contact this physician or this physician's practice as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [HMO]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Fidelis Care
- GHI [CBP]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- United Empire
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- United Health Care
- General Dermatology
- Skin Cancer
- Sexually Transmissible Disease
- Laser Treatment
- Infectious Disease
- Botox Treatment
- Complex Medical Dermatology
Contact and Practices
- B.A., University of Pennsylvania, 2001
- Ph.D., University of Pennsylvania, 2005
- M.D., University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 2008